Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the normal battery usage for the M3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just recently took delivery on my Model 3. I've only put 500 miles on it so far. We Drove from home base (Melville, NY) to Paramus NJ yesterday, a distance of ~46 miles. For the first time, I zeroed out the odometer before the trip to see what the battery usage was.

The results were: 95 miles, 20 KwH, 204 W/Mi. My question is: What is considered normal for the Model 3? I've searched, but maybe I'm asking the wrong question. I can't seem to find stats for power usage.

Depends on how you drive and the driving conditions and the terrain.

I’ve done trips with it as low as 186 and other times as high as 276. My average over 17.5K+ is 226.

Thanks, Krugerrand. The route I took involved crossing Manhattan, and going over the George Washington bridge, so speeds were generally under 50MPH, even 40 in some areas. It would be interesting to see what usage details are for other drivers in different driving situations. I wonder if there is a forum string with this info? I did a number of searches, but came up blank.

There has been talk on this topic already in the Model 3 forum but the search function here isn’t usually super helpful when tracking down specific topics and I can’t remember any thread titles; it has been awhile since people have been talking about.

204 wh/mi is extremely good. My lifetime average is 254 wh/mi which I'm super happy with. I do a 160 mile trip fairly often where my energy usage is 314 wh/mi... Setting the cruise at 85 mph will do that though :)

Just recently took delivery on my Model 3. I've only put 500 miles on it so far. We Drove from home base (Melville, NY) to Paramus NJ yesterday, a distance of ~46 miles. For the first time, I zeroed out the odometer before the trip to see what the battery usage was.

The results were: 95 miles, 20 KwH, 204 W/Mi. My question is: What is considered normal for the Model 3? I've searched, but maybe I'm asking the wrong question. I can't seem to find stats for power usage.

(20kwh/95miles)x1000 ain't 204 w/miles ... per hand calcs.

204 is crazily efficient. I average around 250-260, my lifetime at the moment is 255. But I do tend to drive 10-15 above the speed limit.

You will find that your Model 3 is the most efficient when you can drive around 40mph. Efficiency starts to go down a bit once you go above 50, and more noticeable when you get above 60.

I’ve somewhat accepted that with my car at least, the max range for road trips between supercharges will be 260-280mi at best for highway driving. Coming from an eGolf with an 83mi EPA range, I’m quite ok with that!!

I plan on 270 miles of max range for my trips. I can tolerate losing 40 miles per charge if I can get to my destination quicker. The car is also so incredibly stable at high speeds; it feels like a German car to me. 105-110 mph is rock solid with this car... it gets horrid economy at that speed but it's fun to do once in awhile :)