Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
c
Just took my Model 3 back from service on Monday, can confirm that a front drive unit replacement fixed the issue for me.

I took delivery of my 22 Model 3 in June and didn't have the issue with the noise until ~September when it started getting colder.

Took two trips to the service center, first time they couldn't replicate the issue even though the service tech that went for a ride with me confirmed they heard it.

Second time I brought it in another tech confirmed they heard the noise while in the car with me but thought it was some kind of wind turbulence so I brought up the front drive unit specifically and on my invoice it says they were able to confirm it so they replaced it.

Best advice I can give is to have techs go for a ride with you so they can confirm the noise is present each time you bring it in and point them towards the front drive unit as a possible source of the noise.
can you post a screenshot of the invoice with what parts they replaced please?

c

can you post a screenshot of the invoice with what parts they replaced please?
Screenshot of my invoice is attached. Only difference between mine and the one someone else posted on page 14 is that my part# is for a Model 3.

Attachments

• 44448.jpg
    44448.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 228
I just came here to give an update and saw your post. Got my car back yesterday. I drove it home in the afternoon and it was warmer, like 65F. No sound. I took it out this morning (40F) and drove about 20 miles. Not a single peep. Trying not to get my hopes *too* high, but I'm hopeful. Third motor's a charm? The service at my SC was really excellent. I'm attaching my invoice in case it's helpful.

If you don't hear an update from me, the sound remains fixed. If it comes back I will update here.

@fignacious I asked them whether you could have remote engineering diagnostics done on your car. He wasn't positive about totally remote, but he said if you schedule a mobile service, they can drive the car and pipe back all the sounds via the car's mic and drive data to engineering during their drive. That way you could ensure it's driven in the morning when it's cooler. Have you heard anything from your SC?
I’m late to the party here but I’m experiencing the exact same sound as everybody here. And just like a lot of people I’m being given the ‘within spec’ talk, along with some obvious bull**** about how it’s the front motor switching from induction to electro-magnet.

@Benito1283, would you be so kind as to send your drive unit replacement invoice once again? It seems to have disappeared from your post. I want to go to the SC with some proof that it can - and should - be corrected.

I come check this thread from time to time to see if there has been improvements on the SC detecting this issue, and it seems to be the same from 6 months ago, sadly.

I went to the SC 4 times and was told 'not to come back again for this issue', and that if I were to go back, they would charge me for the tech hour.

On the first 3 visits I wasn't able to replicate the issue when tech was in the car. They drove it right after and also claimed to not have been able to replicate. On the 4th visit, I was driving, tech in the car, and noise came up and tech said he didn't hear anything.

On all these visits, I could hear the noise loud and clear when driving to the SC but goes away when I go for a drive with the tech. I suspect that, for whatever reason, when I get to the SC and maneuver the car -- reverse, drive, reverse, drive... may be alleviating the issue momentarily on the drive unit, thus not being able to replicate it on the first drive with the tech.

Also, on all these visits I could hear the noise very clearly when driving back home from the SC. Which makes it even more frustrating.

One other thing I noticed is that the noise goes away when I am 'navigating to Supercharger' and the car is preconditioning. You can hear a lot of other noises, but nothing of the screeching noise.

I love the car, but hate this noise.

A few people have asked for my invoice from my front drive unit replacement. Sorry for delay but here it is (redacted). It's a little confusing because their first attempts were at wind noise, then they left it overnight and drove it in the morning and confirmed it was the front drive unit with the engineering team's help.

Attachments

• Tesla invoice - redacted.pdf
    169.7 KB · Views: 170
A few people have asked for my invoice from my front drive unit replacement. Sorry for delay but here it is (redacted). It's a little confusing because their first attempts were at wind noise, then they left it overnight and drove it in the morning and confirmed it was the front drive unit with the engineering team's help.
Thank you so much, that is useful.

I will keep you posted.

Ha. I had her out the last two mornings in the 40F range. No noise. I’ve driven 125 miles since the repair. I’m certain I would’ve heard it by now. I’m going to declare it fixed. If it does reappear I will report back.

I really hope some of your SCs will be willing to get the bottom of this for you. Now you can give them a shortcut. If there’s anything else I can provide let me know.
Hey man. I’m very happy for you about your solution. I just wanted to ask for your input, I brought my MYP for this exact issue and they said it was the mirror and lo and behold it wasn’t. Should I just ask them to check the front motor as the sound looks to be a faulty bearing issue and request that the front motor be replace if the faulty bearing is confirmed? I’ve had it up to my neck with this sound and I haven’t even had my MYP for half a year…

Hey man. I’m very happy for you about your solution. I just wanted to ask for your input, I brought my MYP for this exact issue and they said it was the mirror and lo and behold it wasn’t. Should I just ask them to check the front motor as the sound looks to be a faulty bearing issue and request that the front motor be replace if the faulty bearing is confirmed? I’ve had it up to my neck with this sound and I haven’t even had my MYP for half a year…
Yeah I think you should just keep taking it back and insisting there's a sound you know is not right and that dozens of others have this issue. And that when some of the SC's were able to diagnose and trace it back to the front motor, the fix has been to replace it due to faulty bearing. I think all the info on this thread is good to have (including some of the invoices we've posted), along with persistence and a getting lucky with your SC.

I really wish Tesla would put some type of bulletin out about this. Who knows what that would actually take. I think the SC's waste so much time with their whole "we need to hear it / I can't hear it / I hear it but it sounds within spec" when there's apparently a much more efficient way to diagnose this. It probably won't happen until one of these motors fails in some spectacular way as to draw enough attention, which may or may not happen.

Hello everyone, it has been quite sometime since my last post and response. I took my car to SC they recorded the sound and a session was booked internally to review the recording for analysis. After several days the analysis resulted in a decision to order for a front drive unit for replacement. An appointment was booked and after confirming availability of the new unit I took the car to the SC and left it there overnight. Today service is completed and the car was ready, I picked it up in the afternoon. [Performed Validation Test Drive. Replaced Front Drive Unit Gearbox. 4 wheel alignment performed Correction: Gearbox - Front Drive Unit (Remove & Replace)]. Unfortunately, the weather is bad today, windy with snow storm so I couldn't tell if the sound disappeared (I will provide an update once I test it properly, although I kind of heard similar noise at certain points🤔).
P.S. For people in Ontario, Canada, I highly recommend Kitchener Tesla SC, the lead technician is excellent with great attitude, and very professional. Hopefully no more noise and screechy sounds. Wishing everybody here will get some attention from the SC and have proper evaluation of the noise. Good luck!

Ahhh, I finally made it to the end of this thread!!!

Thank you everyone who contributed so far. I thought I was crazy and alone in this issue, and I’m happy that I’m not the only one, but also feel for everyone on here.

I picked up my car Oct 29, 2022. Hear this noise right away and didn’t think anything of it. On drive home from dealer I heard a air leak in windshield and brought it back the next morning. They had my car for the first 2 weeks because they had to replace the windshield. During this replacement they dropped a tool on my car and chipped the paint through to the metal, so then they had the car for an additional 2 weeks because it went to a body shop to be repaired. This second visit after the damage was discovered was the first time I asked them about the noise. Drove with tech, replicated and he said he didn’t think it was anything to be concerned about. They were also supposed to fix the alignment on my car because the wheel was tilted a few degrees to the right while driving straight (they never fixed this).

Sound got louder as it got colder. I brought it back to a new SC. Rode with another tech, he heard the noise and said he didn’t think it was normal. Seemed really into getting it fixed. Said he would grab the mic and ride with another guy to pinpoint. They also had to replace the windshield AGAIN because the new one was leaking. Fast forward 2 weeks and I got car back without the wheel alignment done, and the manager said it was on me that it was tilted to the side. I saw red and argued with manager until she said she would fix it. But I mention this because I let the sound thing go by the wayside. Either way, this time while replacing the windshield they scratched the middle console door and the felt trim piece under the windshield. So I made an appointment to bring it back today. After making the new appointment for today (2 weeks ago) and BEFORE LEAVING I rode with a master tech, replicated the noise on command and made sure he knew what he was listening for so there were no issues with diagnosing the wrong sound when I brought it back today. He said he never heard the sound and that it was not normal.

I dropped the car today, rode with a 4th tech, again replicating the sound on command to make sure they knew EXACTLY what to listen for. He clearly heard it was coming from the front and that it was not normal. Said he would drive with the mic and figure it out. I got back to the SC from this test drive and guess what…turns out since my last ride with the master tech 2 weeks ago he has determine that the sound is normal because he heard it on some other MY in the last 2 weeks. I challenged this and said give me the key to any MY on your lot, let’s take a ride and you can duplicate the sound. Their response: “well, it’s only really happening on the newer models, 2022 and newer, and all of the cars we have here are older so you won’t hear it on them.”

So they have my car to finally fix the steering wheel, damaged center console door, fleet trim piece under the window, and they were SUPPOSED to pinpoint the cricket sound (btw - so freaking happy other people called it a cricket sound because that was how I first described it and felt like I sounded like an idiot). Now I’m concerned they won’t even touch the sound because it has gone from “yea, definitely not normal” to “eh, we heard it in some other cars, so it’s normal now.”

Advice? I fought like hell about the steering wheel and don’t know how much sympathy they will have over this noise.

Last edited:
This is getting ridiculous.

Would all of you experiencing this issue be willing to fill out this quick survey? Microsoft Forms

Much of this information is covered in pieces through the 11 pages of this thread so far, but some details are missing for some folks. The goal is to create a running tally of those having issues, track the status, and capture any additional details that would be helpful in determining next steps if Tesla continues to refuse to address this issue. Let me know if there are any concerns with the survey or you have suggestions for other information we should gather. Thanks.

@Benito1283 @Vaelstraza @Dadaaaaaaa @Nfletcher @Lundorff @Jeffon @ElectronY @ev_go123 @rjack1282 @M3Pguru @Sladden
I filled it out just now. Can you share how many people have officially joined this club? I’m honestly surprised no one has explored a class action over this - I know NOTHING about law, so not sure if this would even be a case.

I think this is happening in isolated cases to us unlucky few (but probably frequent enough for Tesla to know it’s an issue). Considering they’re selling almost several hundred model Y per in the US these days. If everyone was having this issue the forum thread would be much much longer.

I filled it out just now. Can you share how many people have officially joined this club? I’m honestly surprised no one has explored a class action over this - I know NOTHING about law, so not sure if this would even be a case.
I've been counting who has posted on this forum on my own. We're up to 46 people with 48 vehicles. And obviously that's just the people who have seen this post, who are members of this forum, who can hear the noise, who care about the noise, etc etc.

What's also interesting is of those 48 vehicles, all of them are late 2021, 2022, or 2023 model years. No one from earlier than around Oct 2021. So it's clear Tesla changed something around that date.

My guess is that the number of vehicles this affects is quite a large percentage of the late 2021+ M3/MY LR/P fleet.

I think this is happening in isolated cases to us unlucky few (but probably frequent enough for Tesla to know it’s an issue). Considering they’re selling almost several hundred model Y per in the US these days. If everyone was having this issue the forum thread would be much much longer.
Do you also have this issue? You'd have the 49th vehicle on my list haha