Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well at the SC now and they are saying its a normal characteristic of the car. Total let down. Second SC I have brought this issue to. This is what they have on the service ticket. I am so frustrated. Guess I am going to have to take a road trip to an SC actually willing to fix the problem.View attachment 932768
Total crap. If it’s a “normal characteristic” why are they “actively working toward a resolution”?

If this is true (which admittedly makes sense) a Colorado SC my bd under the same guidance.
The thing that strikes me odd, why they put a replacement drive unit in the estimate if they had no intention of replacing it. Well I guess we will wait and see what happens, I told the SA we are gonna be best pals, as I will keep coming back until it's fixed. They seem good to deal with here at this SC compared to the previous one so I "sort" of believe his story but regardless as an owner I should not have to be subject to this on a brand new car. I did not buy it knowing this and its not in Tesla's normal noises documentation.

Reactions: Benito1283
Good point - The replacement did fully resolve the issue on my Model 3. My wife's Model Y has now been officially diagnosed and the parts ordered, but they can't get me in to perform the work until May 1st. I'll report back when we get the car back to let everyone know if that did the trick.

Interestingly after they got the car up on the lift and ran it up to ~45 mph they said they did hear the noise quite loudly, but it was coming from the rear motor and not the front. Strange as this most commonly seems to be a front motor issue...
Can you please send me the diagnosis for the model Y? My appointment is tomorrow at the same SC.

I have made headway this morning, I made sure to include a video clip in the appointment set up and the front desk people heard it. At first I was told its normal but once I stated the noise happened during coasting they agreed the noise was not normal.

Furthermore 2 of the people pointed toward the drive unit. I then drove with a tech who heard it and deemed it abnormal. I am over the moon since I am making progress.

I was told he would let the lead tech hear it for the diagnosis. The worst part was the head desk telling me the solution would most likely be sound deadening rather than an actual fix.

I hope they diagnosis the drive unit and replace it rather than insulating the noise to ignore it. 🤞

Reactions: yyzm3
I have made headway this morning, I made sure to include a video clip in the appointment set up and the front desk people heard it. At first I was told its normal but once I stated the noise happened during coasting they agreed the noise was not normal.

Furthermore 2 of the people pointed toward the drive unit. I then drove with a tech who heard it and deemed it abnormal. I am over the moon since I am making progress.

I was told he would let the lead tech hear it for the diagnosis. The worst part was the head desk telling me the solution would most likely be sound deadening rather than an actual fix.

I hope they diagnosis the drive unit and replace it rather than insulating the noise to ignore it. 🤞
May i ask which sc did u visit in new york?

I just got a call from them stating the noise is abnormal but not enough for them to escalate to engineering and they claim every model Y has some form of this cricket noise. I have attached the report below. I’m gonna try to convince them to escalate before summer hits.

I believe getting the engineering team involved will help diagnose the drive unit. Considering their answer seems half-assed.

I find this laughable, one second I’m told the noise is bad and would be fixed and another that it is not bad enough.

SC in smithtown btw.

Attachments

• IMG_3325.jpeg
    IMG_3325.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 146
Monday I received the same report that most others have posted almost verbatim from my SC (Devon, PA). "Engineering is aware and working on a solution. This is simply a noise issue and is not causing any harm." As pointed out by others, those statements are somewhat contradictory. But at least the tech was able to hear the noise (it was particularly faint that day) and now there is a record of it.

I just got a call from them stating the noise is abnormal but not enough for them to escalate to engineering and they claim every model Y has some form of this cricket noise. I have attached the report below. I’m gonna try to convince them to escalate before summer hits.

I believe getting the engineering team involved will help diagnose the drive unit. Considering their answer seems half-assed.

I find this laughable, one second I’m told the noise is bad and would be fixed and another that it is not bad enough.

SC in smithtown btw.
I live somewhere near too, please keep me updated. I'm planning on sending the car to smith soon.

I have a model 3 performance with around 2.3k miles. My car has been making this noise since i noticed it around 400 miles. I just got my car back after the second visit to the service center. The most recent trip took Tesla 8 days total to determine with the help of their engineering team the front drive unit was bad and needed replaced.

Just got my car back after the replacement and the noise seems to be gone, I've attempted to reproduce the noise where i used to hear it consistently but am unable.

Update for the group on our Model Y - TL;DR is they've replaced the front drive unit and the noise is gone, just as it was with my model 3.

We had brought the Y to the Service Center on April 11th and they had determined it was the rear drive unit making the noise. This had seemed odd to me as the noise sounded identical to the issue that resulted in a front drive unit replacement on my Model 3. We were told they needed a few weeks to get the part in and they scheduled us to come back on May 1st. Initially I was told they'd need the vehicle until Tuesday, but when dropping the car off they said this was a bigger job and they needed it until Thursday. As the days went by I noticed the vehicle still hadn't moved out of the "preparing" stage and decided to call in for an update. Found out they still hadn't started work on my vehicle but committed to doing the work Thursday evening and that I'd have the car back on Friday. To my surprise I received a notification at 4:45PM Thursday that my car was ready for pickup! Before heading down to the SC I checked the invoice in the app and saw they closed out the issue as "could not reproduce". I was extremely frustrated and called the SC. Recap of what I learned was:
  • Since my April 11 appointment Tesla has changed their internal policy and now requires that engineering at corporate approve all drive unit replacements. While the SC had previously determined mine was due for a replacement, they now had to validate that with corporate.
  • This is supposedly due to an internal report stating that the company had spent $30M on drive unit replacements in the past several months only for the issue to not be resolved so they're limiting the replacements they do while they look to determine the real root cause of the issue.
  • They drove my vehicle multiple times and stated they could not reproduce the noise and had even taken audio recordings and sent in to engineering to confirm there was no noise that was out of spec.
They said I was welcome to come back in and go on another ride along with a tech. I told them I had already done this and the vehicle was put up on a lift and the issue verified which is why they currently had the vehicle in the first place. Finally I got them to agree to keep the car overnight and test it again in the morning.

Friday AM I called in and spoke to a tech who told me they now HAD verified the issue (thank goodness!) and that they were waiting for engineering approval. While chatting through next steps the tech told me that there was an internal service bulletin about the issue which states the issue becomes more pronounced the further from 32F. This may explain while they didn't hear the issue the prior evening when it was close to 80F vs 50F in the morning the next day. They also confirmed that it was indeed the front drive unit. No idea why the previous tech had been so confident it was the rear...

In the end new part was ordered, installed Monday evening, and we picked the car up on Tuesday. Glad to have the vehicle back and it is finally quiet when driving around town for the first time since we picked it up. Happy with the outcome, but a painful journey to get there!

@mstendal Thanks for the update! Very interesting...
On my side, I have driven more than 300 miles since I got my FDU replaced, and it is still silent!
Update for the group on our Model Y - TL;DR is they've replaced the front drive unit and the noise is gone, just as it was with my model 3.

We had brought the Y to the Service Center on April 11th and they had determined it was the rear drive unit making the noise. This had seemed odd to me as the noise sounded identical to the issue that resulted in a front drive unit replacement on my Model 3. We were told they needed a few weeks to get the part in and they scheduled us to come back on May 1st. Initially I was told they'd need the vehicle until Tuesday, but when dropping the car off they said this was a bigger job and they needed it until Thursday. As the days went by I noticed the vehicle still hadn't moved out of the "preparing" stage and decided to call in for an update. Found out they still hadn't started work on my vehicle but committed to doing the work Thursday evening and that I'd have the car back on Friday. To my surprise I received a notification at 4:45PM Thursday that my car was ready for pickup! Before heading down to the SC I checked the invoice in the app and saw they closed out the issue as "could not reproduce". I was extremely frustrated and called the SC. Recap of what I learned was:
  • Since my April 11 appointment Tesla has changed their internal policy and now requires that engineering at corporate approve all drive unit replacements. While the SC had previously determined mine was due for a replacement, they now had to validate that with corporate.
  • This is supposedly due to an internal report stating that the company had spent $30M on drive unit replacements in the past several months only for the issue to not be resolved so they're limiting the replacements they do while they look to determine the real root cause of the issue.
  • They drove my vehicle multiple times and stated they could not reproduce the noise and had even taken audio recordings and sent in to engineering to confirm there was no noise that was out of spec.
They said I was welcome to come back in and go on another ride along with a tech. I told them I had already done this and the vehicle was put up on a lift and the issue verified which is why they currently had the vehicle in the first place. Finally I got them to agree to keep the car overnight and test it again in the morning.

Friday AM I called in and spoke to a tech who told me they now HAD verified the issue (thank goodness!) and that they were waiting for engineering approval. While chatting through next steps the tech told me that there was an internal service bulletin about the issue which states the issue becomes more pronounced the further from 32F. This may explain while they didn't hear the issue the prior evening when it was close to 80F vs 50F in the morning the next day. They also confirmed that it was indeed the front drive unit. No idea why the previous tech had been so confident it was the rear...

In the end new part was ordered, installed Monday evening, and we picked the car up on Tuesday. Glad to have the vehicle back and it is finally quiet when driving around town for the first time since we picked it up. Happy with the outcome, but a painful journey to get there!