Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this plug called?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any chargers in NZ that have this type available as standard? Or are adaptors needed Thank you
IMG20220202203109.jpg

Thanks so much for the response! I have a Japanese Model S I have just purchased here in NZ and I'm a bit new to all the charging options/configurations.

Maybe the dealer can fill me in, but I'm trying to get an 'at home' setup and something to charge if on the road via the available chargers.

'One cable' would be nice but I assume I'll need a few adaptors and cables to match the provider...?

For home you will need a US/Japan spec Tesla wall connector. Hopefully you will be allowed to install one under Aus/NZ electricity regulations.
For DC quick charging your only option is a US/Japan CHADEMO adapter, but they are hard to find as they have been out of stock for a while.
For AC public charging you will run into mostly type 2 plugs and you will likely need to get a type 2 to Tesla adapter made as I haven’t seen any on line. Not sure if any public Chargers with J1772 plugs were installed in NZ like they were in Australia in which case a J1772 to Tesla adapter are available on line.
For CCS2 charging you will need to talk to your dealer, I have only seen CCS1 to Tesla adapters not CCS2 to Tesla, whilst related CCS1 and CCS2 use different plug patterns and are not an exact equivalent.
Good luck.

Yeah, sorry but you won't find any public chargers with that US/JP Tesla plug in NZ. Tesla make an adapter now for users in the US to be able to use other public chargers which is what you would need but they don't need to sell it here so you might have to import one or look for a third party version. Search this forum or Google for imported Teslas. Someone asked recently about importing their US car and other than the LHD/RHD issue most other points in that thread will apply to yours too. Maps, connectivity etc...Good luck, everyone here is helpful so reach out to the community if you get stuck.

Yeah, sorry but you won't find any public chargers with that US/JP Tesla plug in NZ. Tesla make an adapter now for users in the US to be able to use other public chargers which is what you would need but they don't need to sell it here so you might have to import one or look for a third party version. Search this forum or Google for imported Teslas. Someone asked recently about importing their US car and other than the LHD/RHD issue most other points in that thread will apply to yours too. Maps, connectivity etc...Good luck, everyone here is helpful so reach out to the community if you get stuck.

What are the two connectors on these Superchargers? Mennekes Type 2 and ... ? PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

A CHAdeMO adapter would be a good purchase. You can probably buy one from Tesla Japan. Check with your importer to see if they can assist with getting one.

NZ CHAdeMO.png

CHAdeMO DC fast charging stations in New Zealand

Another thing to consider is I don't think Tesla NZ supports out of region imported cars, I could be wrong about that

Mennekes (Type2) and CCS2 are the Tesla standard for NZ
use plugshare app to find chargers, you can use filters to show only the chargers you can connect to
Your going to have to try either get something via your dealer or import Tesla to CHAdeMO adapter
There are J1772 and Mennekes Type 2 chargers in NZ these are AC and can sometimes be BYO cable
CHAdeMO I think is limited to 50kw DC
the Mennekes Type 2 on the model S/X suports both AC and DC charging
the two pins on the bottom of the CCS2 connector is the DC connection
ac-dc-charging.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
It’s likely if not almost certain that Tesla NZ will decline to work on your JDM Tesla and you will need to lean on your “dealer” for service and parts. They will likely have to order anything you need from Tesla Japan.
A number of Hong Kong owners have taken their Teslas back to the UK and member @electricboat seems to understand how to install maps into an out of market car, so their is a small chance that he can help you with importing NZ maps to your car. Hopefully your dealer can swap a SIM card into your MCU to give you connectivity or you can try connecting to a portable wi-fi.

Are there any chargers in NZ that have this type available as standard? Or are adaptors needed Thank you...

Here is a general article on Tesla Charging Plugs/Ports Used Worldwide. In it you can see the three major types of ports and plugs Tesla cars use, for (a) mainland China, (b) North America (plus Japan and South Korea), and (c) Europe, parts of coastal Asia, and Oceania (Australia and New Zealand). It includes a little about using one type of Tesla car in another charging area.

Basically, it can be done (maybe), but you have to be careful to plan accordingly and secure the correct home charging equipment and on-the-road adapters (if available) beforehand. It sounds similar, possibly identical, to taking a North American (with Tesla Proprietary Connector [TPC] charging port) car to Europe (where Teslas have Type 2 and CCS2 charging ports). Be aware that with proper preparations you'll probably be able to charge (just not everywhere), but you may lose some capabilities (e.g., to navigate). Some people will say that, depending on the length of time you plan to spend there, it would be easier and more cost-effective to sell your car in Japan and buy a similar used one in New Zealand. Maybe. Both options have pros and cons.

Listen to knowledgeable folks from New Zealand.

If you can find one, you will probably need a Type 2-to-TPC adapter. (Here is one, European-to-North American Tesla adapter, but it is rather expensive.) With it you could apparently use Superchargers with Type 2 cables. It is for Europe. I assume it would work in New Zealand?

Here is another: Type 2-to-TPC Supercharger Adapater. It is not intended for home (AC) use.

Or, as someone mentioned, you could import a Japanese, South Korean, or North American Tesla Wall Connector if it can be safely wired to your New Zealand house wiring? Tesla Taiwan switched from the TPC charging standard to the Type 2/CCS2 standards. The Tesla Taiwan website may have charging equipment/adapters of both kinds.

Someone mentioned CHAdeMO charging stations. Good idea if you can find a CHAdeMO with TPC plug that fits your car. Unfortunately, Tesla CHAdeMO TPC adapters are getting impossible (in North America) and difficult (in Japan) to find. Try the Tesla South Korea website.

As with (smaller) travel gadgets, messing with adapters and plugs of different countries can get complicated and confusing (especially for those new to the issues). Be sure to thoroughly check everything before buying, since prices for Tesla electrical equipment can be high.

For example, I don't think this Tesla adapter (that someone mentioned) will help you. If I understand correctly, your car has a TPC (proprietary) Tesla port (like in Japan or North America). The Tesla adapter in that previous link is for Models S/X in Europe (probably Australia and New Zealand, too) with a Type 2 port that needs to charge at a CCS2 charging station. You don't have a Type 2 port. Yours is TPC, I believe. Tricky.

Just off the top of my head I am not aware of a CCS2-to-TCP adapter. Here is a CCS2-to-Type 2 adapter (for Model S in Europe). But older Model S need to receive a hardware retrofit (in Europe), that still wouldn't help you (w/o some sort of Type 2-to-TPC adapter), and I don't know if your car can be retrofit in New Zealand. Again, tricky.

Here is a story about one family that moved their Tesla from North America to Europe. It may be pertinent: Taking North American Tesla to Europe.

There must be people with a Tesla that have moved from Japan to Oceania. Search them out. What did they do?

Thanks for the replies all. Just FYI, my Model S has passed NZ compliance and has been fully supported by Tesla NZ to date with NZ maps/software updates. All working very well.

I checked out the Tesla supercharger today and can see the 'Type 2' and CCS2 plugs.

I also saw the standard Tesla NZ wall-charger with its 'type 2 plug' also.

So yeah...

CCS2 to Tesla adapter sounds like a good option, would this also allow for use with a standard type 2 charge too ? Eg use the top half.

At home... Not sure. Prob stick with a caravan plug 15amp 'maintainer'

Thanks again for the clarifications and comments.

Thanks for the replies all. Just FYI, my Model S has passed NZ compliance and has been fully supported by Tesla NZ to date with NZ maps/software updates. All working very well.

I checked out the Tesla supercharger today and can see the 'Type 2' and CCS2 plugs.

So yeah...

CCS2 to Tesla adapter sounds like a good option, would this also allow for use with a standard type 2 charge too ? Eg use the top half.

Congrats on getting Tesla NZ to support your car. I hope this represents a permanent shift in Tesla's attitude to out of market cars.
The Superchargers are High capacity DC quick charging so any adapter needs to be able to cope with the energy.
The Type 2 shaped plugs on the Tesla Superchargers are 'unique' to Tesla for legacy Model S and Model X.
The CCS2 plugs are for Model 3 and in the future for non Tesla cars.
I doubt that there ever will be a DC and AC adapter as the voltages and capacities are so different.
If you can find or have made a CCS2 to Tesla propriety adapter this presumably will give you access to both Tesla and other DC charging networks.

I suspect downloading software updates doesn't = support from Tesla NZ
OP are you able to use Tesla app

So yeah...

I suspect downloading software updates doesn't = support from Tesla NZ
are you able to use Tesla app

Drive EV can convert a Japanese Model S to the NZ standard (enhanced) Type 2 port, used to be $10k now its $6k

You'd still need a chademo adapter for Chargenet chargers and/or an adapter for the CCS only v3 superchargers.

Reactions: Renaissance
Thanks Rob for sharing that. Figured i should join up here as well actually!

When we asked Tesla to do the CCS conversion on Hulk (our P100 tow car) they said it was still in their system as a single phase unit, and couldn't book the CCS upgrade. Basically computer said no.

We did our own upgrade, and have CCS working on tesla superchargers and the chargenet hyper chargers etc, but it wasnt cheap having to do it ourselves. We can do CCS for $2000 if its been upgraded to Type 2 already if that helps, and at that price theres not much in it for us if anyone was wondering!

The jap 3's are the same north america port, yeah. You can convert them (we have) but its harder as its in the penthouse, with water running through it, and the parts arent cheap. Plus we're not able to get into the newer Model 3 computers to code them... has to be old 2020 FW IIRC, which is getting harder to find. Plus it doesnt make sense financially (yet) with the current rebate and Model 3 prices in NZ

We just got one to see if we could, and turns out we can :) so now i'm driving a Model 3 around for the summer!

Reactions: RobDickinson