Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What it takes to stop a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I wonder if Tesla hasn't created a monster.
Why?

The suspects could have rented a BMW or Porsche with similar results. Perhaps it would not have taken so much force to effect a TVI, but that same 'feature' of an EV, means that in the dozens/hundreds/thousands of similar daily accidents, made by other drivers cutting-off/lane-changing into an EV, the result is minor damage and not complete spinouts taking out multiple cars around the EV.

NOW, had the driver been in the back seat, shooting up, and the car was programmed to evade interception by police, then I'd agree with your 'created a monster' opinion. But what is shown here is like most of the high speed pursuits I've watched on YouTube.

This is a video of Arkansas police forcibly stopping a speeding Tesla (which was rented on Turo). Sometimes I wonder if Tesla hasn't created a monster.
Also the owner could have lower the speed limit of the car to 50 MPH using the App. Try that with a Dodge Charger.

IMG_3368.jpeg

The suspects could have rented a BMW or Porsche with similar results.
Similar in what sense? The Tesla blew the pursuit vehicle away, was spiked once, pitted twice and was still ready to continue running. A Tesla is heavy, stable and fast. On top of that, they're comparatively cheap. All of this is channeling into a situation where more and more people who don't have much sense are able to get their hands on this kind of capability.
Also the owner could have lower the speed limit of the car to 50 MPH using the App.
That would have been the responsible thing to do. Unfortunately, it only takes one person to forget to do that or to choose to not do it.

I'm not trying to suggest that Tesla has created a menace to society, only that there's some real challenges in making a car so capable that police forces may have to start buying Tesla Model S Plaid interceptors (or Lucid Air Sapphire) so they can keep up. I wonder what legislators will do once they realize that they can mandate police intervention on a car by direct communication.

This is the second time I've seen a Tesla being violated like that in a Turo rent. I don’t know what possess anyone from going through with Turo. I recall a thread where some owner responded with a "Hell Ya!" and that Turo would have to replace their cars. Sorry, but I may not be from Missouri, but I doubt that it is that simple.