Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you and me both! '17 M3, here. I think we have to accept chassis dynamics won't be quite what we're used to. Otherwise, should be a blast.

The M3's chassis dynamics have been pretty roundly criticized by the motoring journalist universe. The general consensus is that it's a bit numb (compared to previous M3/M4s) and that it's tail-happy under power.

In comparison, the TM3P is utterly composed no matter whether braking/accelerating/turning. In Track Mode the tail can be kicked out, but only briefly as the AWD works to bring the car back in line.

So yes, the TM3 requires a different driving style to get the most out of it, but by the same token, it's SO all-around capable that it makes short work of pretty much anything on the street short of supercars.

Hope you'll both enjoy them!

The M3's chassis dynamics have been pretty roundly criticized by the motoring journalist universe. The general consensus is that it's a bit numb (compared to previous M3/M4s) and that it's tail-happy under power.

In comparison, the TM3P is utterly composed no matter whether braking/accelerating/turning. In Track Mode the tail can be kicked out, but only briefly as the AWD works to bring the car back in line.

So yes, the TM3 requires a different driving style to get the most out of it, but by the same token, it's SO all-around capable that it makes short work of pretty much anything on the street short of supercars.

Hope you'll both enjoy them!

Yes, the F80 has been criticized. It is still in a different league compared to the notch below (S4, 340, C43, etc). I rented a Model 3 Perf for three days and there is a discernible difference in terms of chassis capability. The Model 3 is simply not where the M3 is. I have to keep in mind this is really a first gen EV and it'll get there.

In other news... I test drove a Taycan Turbo and *THAT* is amazing. Absolutely performance oriented. Porsche did it right. Spot on.

Model 3 Perf will be enjoyable. I just need to keep my expectations in check.

I have to keep in mind this is really a first gen EV...

The Model 3 is FAR from first gen. Even for Tesla, it is at least gen 3, with Roadster being 1 and S & X being 2.

Yes, the technology still needs to gain some maturity, but it is certainly not bleeding edge.

The Tesla is technology with a a car built around it. The Taycan is a car with an electric drivetrain wedged in. It might have a better chassis, but I will take a Tesla any day over the Porsche in terms of EV evolution and reliability.

I went from a truck to a sports car. I replaced my 2013 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with a 2019 M3 LR AWD. The Jeep was a comfortable car, but what tech it had (adaptive cruise basically) got old quick and gas mileage was terrible on a long commute.