Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of car is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some other points of reference / clues...

Demo prototype has arrowhead shaped side view mirrors. Mystery car and Alpha video cars have more oval side view mirrors.

Demo prototype has a rear bumper flush with the rear hatch. Mystery car and Alpha video cars have a rear bumper that sticks out a bit as one would expect from a production car.

Last edited:
doug put this issue to rest in another thread. It's clearly one of the alphas. Check the picture and video there.

tesla-s-2011-01-18.jpg

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4920-Alpha-Build/page5#45

Yeah, it looks like more trademarks of this generation of sedans... side vents on front fenders, led tail lights/accents on sleek headlights, chrome trim around the windows & trunk, and a low-profile exhaust systems (or lack thereof!)
I was glad to hear that the production Model S will have the more 'organic' lines of the prototype vice some of the changes seen in the alpha builds. Think the original prototype had a much better flow, especially the front end. The turbofan-esque rims paired with that body made the whole car look like it was made to fly. Heard that the reason behind changing the Alpha build's grill was to make it look more like the roadster & establish a signature feel across the family of vehicles. Who knows what they'll go with; guess we'll find out this fall/winter when we can get our hands on a drivable build.

Don't forget cars must function correctly. If it needs more radiator intake area then it needs it! Remember the E-type Jags? The first 2 years of production overheated because the lovely small oval radiator opening from the concept vehicle was just too small for real world.

Remember the E-type Jags? The first 2 years of production overheated because the lovely small oval radiator opening from the concept vehicle was just too small for real world.

I used to own a 66 E-Type - last full year with the covered headlights. Great technology for its time (twin overhead cams, 4-wheel disc brakes, fully independent suspension with brake rotors as sprung weight in the rear, etc.). Mine had 3 Weber DCOEs. But, that's so last century now.

I don't think the opening was any bigger in my year than in the first couple, and if it was, it wasn't much bigger. I ended up putting in a custom extra-depth radiator, but cooling was still marginal. Let's just say in LA traffic I would often find myself turning the heater on when it wasn't comfortable to do so. Obviously, it is cooler in England than in Los Angeles in summer, and I think that was the biggest contributor.

Here's an old joke that people with old English cars know:
Q: Why do the British like warm beer?

A: They have no choice. They have Lucas refrigerators!

PS: For those who don't know Lucas was the name of the company that made the electronics for most British cars for many years.