Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of outlet is this and is it good for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker but didn't feel like I could make an account until I ordered a Tesla! I've been pontificating for about a year to buy one, but didn't do it. Finally worked up the courage to press the red button!

Ordered a silver, Model X 100D, premium and auto pilot packages. So excited for my August delivery!

The sales rep called me today and asked how I would charge it and I said my credit card. I then realized he meant the car.

I attached a picture of a large outlet in my backyard shed. Would this accommodate a Tesla home charger? Anyone know what kind of outlet it is?

Attachments

• IMG_20180613_183328.jpg
    IMG_20180613_183328.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 117
OLiV9.jpg

Which one of these looks like yours?
A lot of them will charge your car, some just do it quicker.

img_20180613_183328-jpg.309488

Edit: Looks like a 6-50R, which is typically used for welding. The good news is that this should be a 240v/50amp receptacle (hopefully properly wired) so a conversion to a Tesla charger should be a piece of cake using the existing wiring.

I don’t know if the new kits come with a 6-50R adapter but such an adapter would be significantly cheaper than going with a Tesla permanent charger as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
I agree it looks like a 6 - 50R and you could swap the outlet out for a NEMA 14-50 and then you can use the standard plug.

But you need a fourth wire for the 14-50, which is likely not in the wiring (the Neutral). It isn't used by the car, but not connecting it leaves the outlet not fully functional for future users - like an RV, say.

You can buy a 6-50 adapter from a number of sources. At one point Tesla was selling 6-50 plugs for the UMC, but I'm not sure if they do right now.

(I agree, that's pretty clearly a 6-50, which delivers plenty of power for a Tesla if it's backed by a suitable breaker and wiring.)

• Informative
But you need a fourth wire for the 14-50, which is likely not in the wiring (the Neutral). It isn't used by the car, but not connecting it leaves the outlet not fully functional for future users - like an RV, say.

You can buy a 6-50 adapter from a number of sources. At one point Tesla was selling 6-50 plugs for the UMC, but I'm not sure if they do right now.

(I agree, that's pretty clearly a 6-50, which delivers plenty of power for a Tesla if it's backed by a suitable breaker and wiring.)

Looks like the new UMCs don’t come with it, and max out at 32amp anyway: Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

So there should be plenty of capacity in that outlet to run at that amperage. For $35 to buy the adapter directly from Tesla, that’s definitely the easiest way to be up and ready.

Don’t make this more complicated than it needs to be. Just buy the Gen 2 UMC 6-50 adapter from Tesla and you’re all set.
I think that verifying the circuit in the panel is correct is an important step. I've seen soooo many people post pictures of 14-50 or 6-50 outlets recently that have 30A breakers on them (totally not up to code). It's a one minute task that could save a lot of headaches later.

Thanks everyone, I'll look at the panel to see what I have and then order that $35 adapter as needed.

Just be aware that the adapter is a significant tradeoff. You'll get 25% faster charging (during the fast part of the charge cycle, anyway) if you connect a wall connector to that instead (40 amp maximum charge rate on a 50 amp breaker versus 32 with the mobile connector). I'm not sure if that matters to you, but I figured it was worth pointing out.

If you do get a Gen1 UMC and adapter, be sure to check the breakers or fuses. My brother has a 6-50 outlet in his garage and I used it for a couple of hours at 40 amps before blowing the fuses. It turns out he only had 40 amp fuses and I should've only been charging at 32 amps. Once I replaced the fuses and dialed back the charging amps, I didn't have any more issues after that.

Just pointing out that 6-50 outlets might not've been installed with "continuous use" by EVs in mind and might only have 40 amp fuses/breakers instead of 50 amps fuses/breakers