Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of Wh/mi are you guys getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
75000/251=299 miles. The battery may show 0% after 72.5 KWH, but my understand is that there is still at least 2.5 KWH left. I believe the range is based off 75 KWH.
Gotcha...I've heard the same and probably the right way to do the math...but i don't see me driving the car when it registers 0%...so i guess we are talking "effective" range vs "max anxiety" range, LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: Jashev
75000/251=299 miles. The battery may show 0% after 72.5 KWH, but my understand is that there is still at least 2.5 KWH left. I believe the range is based off 75 KWH.

It’s possible that the Y is different from all the other Teslas, but I think it highly unlikely.

Range, including the 0 point, is set based on a math model of the battery state of charge, because for a lot of the range the voltage doesn’t change with state of charge and voltage does change second by second depending on how much power you are pulling from the battery or pumping in.

The car shuts down based on the lowest cell group hitting a minimum safe voltage.

Not surprisingly, these two different measures don’t always align. Tesla sets the math model slightly conservative because of that.

But there is no consistent, designed in range below 0 miles, and for every person that goes another ten or fifteen miles beyond, there’s a person that was shutdown right at 0.

There are even cases, especially in higher load usage like towing in winter, where the car will shut down with a few miles left on the estimate.

Don’t count on having anything below zero. You might, or you might not.

The EPA rated range is based on the EPA driving cycle. Almost no one actually drives that. So Most of us switch the display to battery % charge and leave it. On a long trip (multiple superchargers) use nav and follow the instructions on the screen as far as stopping at superchargers and especially slowing down if needed. You'll be fine.

Main impact on range is tire type and pressure then speed. Here in Tx we have some 75 and 80 mph speed limits. My Model 3 (without the summer tires) can go only about 200 mi at those speeds before I need to charge.

Reactions: empiredown
The EPA rated range is based on the EPA driving cycle. Almost no one actually drives that. So Most of us switch the display to battery % charge and leave it. On a long trip (multiple superchargers) use nav and follow the instructions on the screen as far as stopping at superchargers and especially slowing down if needed. You'll be fine.

Main impact on range is tire type and pressure then speed. Here in Tx we have some 75 and 80 mph speed limits. My Model 3 (without the summer tires) can go only about 200 mi at those speeds before I need to charge.

Yeah. I actually leave mine on miles, but you’re right that the only number I ever really care about is the estimated percentage at next charge location.

I wish that Tesla gave us options to make that more prominent, and I’d love to have a comparison on the energy screen between what I’m actually using and what the profile they generated that arrival number from expects me to be using, so I can see how I’m doing in real time.

Yeah. I actually leave mine on miles, but you’re right that the only number I ever really care about is the estimated percentage at next charge location.

I wish that Tesla gave us options to make that more prominent, and I’d love to have a comparison on the energy screen between what I’m actually using and what the profile they generated that arrival number from expects me to be using, so I can see how I’m doing in real time.
Isn't that what you get on the energy consumption chart? On a trip I keep that up and it shows whether I'm doing better (above the estimate line) or worse (below the estimate line) and what I'll have left when I arrive.

Isn't that what you get on the energy consumption chart? On a trip I keep that up and it shows whether I'm doing better (above the estimate line) or worse (below the estimate line) and what I'll have left when I arrive.

At a macro level, sure. But that still takes many minutes to show any deviation and is hard to read because it's squeezing a couple hundred miles of data onto the screen.

I'd like to see it projected with the 5/15/30 mile energy graph, or added to the real time power usage bar, or both. That'd be especially useful if I end up having to slow down to make a comfortable leg - you'd know immediately if you'd slowed enough or needed to do more.

445014EA-BCFF-4555-89C5-ADC819CCDE65.png

• Informative
Reactions: ragedogg69
This is what we've got so far, 305Wh/mi. It's weird seeing such a difference from the SR+ that I drive vs her Model Y (AWD LR). She's been doing mostly highway driving here in Las Vegas where it's been about 100*F+ since we took delivery on 4 June. Most of that highway driving is above the 65mph speed limit...you'll get run over here in Vegas if you do 65 so we mostly drive about 75mph+

I think with the heat, mostly highway and higher speeds it's not too bad for an AWD on Gemini's. I do need to get all the tire psi's corrected but "cold" here has been like 75*F at 5am. I had to delete the token for TeslaFi because sleep settings just weren't working properly even though they mirrored my Model 3. Also, we've been having weird losses while plugged in on it's own 240V at home...

Attachments

• Temp.png
    Temp.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1920.png
    IMG_1920.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
  • FE534068-51BF-4E55-9E42-4082C23F0F5A.png
    FE534068-51BF-4E55-9E42-4082C23F0F5A.png
    298.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
This is what we've got so far, 305Wh/mi. It's weird seeing such a difference from the SR+ that I drive vs her Model Y (AWD LR). She's been doing mostly highway driving here in Las Vegas where it's been about 100*F+ since we took delivery on 4 June. Most of that highway driving is above the 65mph speed limit...you'll get run over here in Vegas if you do 65 so we mostly drive about 75mph+

I think with the heat, mostly highway and higher speeds it's not too bad for an AWD on Gemini's. I do need to get all the tire psi's corrected but "cold" here has been like 75*F at 5am. I had to delete the token for TeslaFi because sleep settings just weren't working properly even though they mirrored my Model 3. Also, we've been having weird losses while plugged in on it's own 240V at home...

I had to disable my TeslaFi, it was draining over a mile per hour of range..

Reactions: Matsayz
As stated on a similar thread, I'm averaging around 287 over 900 miles, half freeway at 82 mph or so and all AC in Tucson summer heat. Very happy with this. While I enjoy the blast off the line I contain myself usually as I like to see good efficiency overall.

Reactions: Matsayz
Cold relating to tire pressures means ambient temperature or not being driven for about 8 hours.
FWIW I run mine at 46 psi. I've seen 50 psi in warm weather when hiway driving. That's OK.
The tire pressure on the sidewall is max COLD. It says so.

I guess I should’ve been more clear, our Y is garage parked and then it bakes in there with all the heat. I would have to either leave it out all night or get it out first thing in the morning to cool off to ambient. I went to the garage this morning to set tire pressure and they’re at 41 but it was 80*F in the garage and outside it was 68*F.