Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What model year is shipping MY18 or MY19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I see conflicting reports. With reviews back in June labeling it a 2019. Yet my friend just received his and said it’s a 2018. It’s confusing trying to get insurance quotes too. Some insurance companies don’t list the model 3 as a 2018 some don’t show it as a 2019.

If it’s 2018 now, when do they switch to 2019 models?

Tesla doesn’t do model years. It has the same years we all use for everything else. Also the cars change when Tesla is ready for them to change, not on an artificial yearly calendar. If you must call it a year, it’s the year the car was manufactured. Model years were a marketing gimmick from what was the big three, starting the next year early.

My VIN which is 966XX and being delivered in two weeks has the digit for MY2018.

Even though Tesla doesn’t advertise Model Years, the VIN has a year built in.
Why did you disagree with my post? The year built into the VIN is the calendar year the car was built, not an artificial “model year” that legacy manufacturers often start in the summer or fall. And if Tesla makes a major design change next month those cars built in Sept-Dec will still be called 2018 cars. All other companies would call that new design the “2019 model”.

Why did you disagree with my post? The year built into the VIN is the calendar year the car was built, not an artificial “model year” that legacy manufacturers often start in the summer or fall. And if Tesla makes a major design change next month those cars built in Sept-Dec will still be called 2018 cars. All other companies would call that new design the “2019 model”.
Because even though they don’t advertise it, the cars have Model Years. It’s in the VIN. That is not only based on date of build. They start using MY19 in the VIN before the year 2019 begins.