Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 boot sizes over the years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI
Has the model 3 boot varied over the years or into the Highland facelift?
I was browsing reviews and older reviews list 425l, and newer reviews and the manual list it as 594l! Which if its right and not a reporting anomaly (maybe the 425 doesn't include the under trunk?) is a massive 40% uplift!

Tesla Model 3 (2024) boot space & practicality Makes it look very different, but its a tough photo and hard to gauge by eye how much is difference and how much is just lighting.

Anyone had experience of both to confirm/deny/comment?

(also why oh why oh why didn't they put a long things pass through the rear seats in the highland? The Y has one so its not like they don't know its useful :()

I’ve checked back over older user manuals you can find on Tesla Owners manual / guide and instructions for use

2019 details ‘total enclosed cargo area as 425l

M3 just before highland says space behind 2nd row seats as 561l

Highland says space behind 2nd row seats as 594l

I can only think they’re measuring something different as they describe it differently, maybe the underfloor storage is in/out. If not, the main increase came with the heat pump changes but I’d be surprised by that change resulted in a massive jump

Why highland is bigger, not sure, maybe the hifi sub is different?

Reactions: boombap
I’ve checked back over older user manuals you can find on Tesla Owners manual / guide and instructions for use

I can only think they’re measuring something different, maybe the underfloor storage is in/out. If not, the main increase came with the heat pump changes but I’d be surprised by that.

Yes, highland's trunk is slightly bigger because there is no longer that hidden section on the side for the sub. The subs are now on the top. The trunk lid obviously is different too, due to the taillights being one unit that goes with the trunk.

As pre-highland, for the heat pump, that actually made the frunk slightly smaller. I don't recall however any significant changes to the trunk, prior to highland. They changed the parcel shelf a couple of times (for example eliminating the transparent air hole) but that doesn't change trunk volume in any significant way.

I can only think they’re measuring something different as they describe it differently, maybe the underfloor storage is in/out. If not, the main increase came with the heat pump changes but I’d be surprised by that change resulted in a massive jump

And going back to the oldest there does indeed say 425!

Must be a change in measuring approach tho, it can't really be that different, can it?

Guess I'll just have to prod the next Highland owner I see at a SC for a peek.

The blue car in these pics looks like the floor on the section deeper into the car is lower than the under boot cover? The white car looks very similar to my 2019 and the red more like the blue?

I see what you mean but 140l or so seems a lot extra. There was a change from Fremont to China production so I guess it could be different, I guess we could look at the US manuals to see what that said in comparison as they’ve always been Fremont production

The blue car in these pics looks like the floor on the section deeper into the car is lower than the under boot cover? The white car looks very similar to my 2019 and the red more like the blue?
It's quite easy for items in the lower boot to prevent the top cover from sitting properly. Mine does that if I don't have the charging cables properly coiled on top of the sundry other junk in the lower boot. Appreciate that might not be the issue in a test car/stock photo.
I've got a rubber liner so can't recall exactly how it looks when properly seated. If the rain ever stops I'll grab a photo of my 2020 heat pump car.

I can see nearly that amount increase. I have a 23 Model 3 and it's way wider inside than the blue one picture in the image in the first post. That early model 3 looks so narrow it's silly.
I don't think looking at pictures tells anything, given the position and type of lens used to take the photo will affect how large it looks. The actual measurements is what matters. AFAIK, there have been no change to the width prior to the highland.

From this post on the 2018, it's 37" wide on the bottom at the narrowest portion.

From memory, my 2021 is no different.

Reactions: boombap