Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What number am I in line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be willing to bet that you'll never know exactly where you are in line. Because even if you knew, you really wouldn't have any idea what that means in the big scheme of things (unless you're within the top hundred... which will be employees). It all boils down to ramp rate.

Reactions: Tree95
Place in line can vary by region / options ordered. You could be higher in the queue but if someone behind you orders more options than you they will advance in the queue and will have their vehicle built earlier.

It is, though, strange. The Australian members all are showing in the AU/NZ thread their respective reservation numbers. I'm thinking it's a region-by-region thing....

A reservation does not equal a place in line. A reservation is the line to get in line. I think once reservation holders are invited to place an order is when sequence details will be finalized. An order consists of picking options, colors, etc, so Tesla will then know how to sequence and batch similar cars and which customers are ordering top-end or base cars.

Can someone take a look at the source code of their MyTesla page so we can see if the UID means anything?

<input class="VinName" type="hidden" name="common_vin_name" value="" />
<input class="CountryCode" type="hidden" name="common_country_code" value="GB" />
<input class="ModelCode" type="hidden" name="common_model_code" value="m3" />
<input class="ModelName" type="hidden" name="common_model_name" value="Model 3" />
<input class="ConfigId" type="hidden" name="common_config_id" value="" />
<input class="Region" type="hidden" name="common_region" value="EU" />
<input class="Uid" type="hidden" name="common_uid" value="9XXXXX10" />

In the past, Tesla built the Founders and Signature editions and then the fully optioned (high priced) orders first. Is this going to be the case with the Model 3? If so, then your place in line is NOT going to be as important as your PRICE in line...
I don't recall anything said about Founders Edition, but Musk has said there is no Signature Edition of the 3.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
Based on the pace of orders I suspect all that matters initially (beyond price/location) is did you order pre or post reveal on day 1 (assuming you are in the US of course). A LOT of cars were ordered on day 1, and unless there is another factory hidden away somewhere day 1 orders along represent nearly 3 months of production (based on factory stats). Not saying days 2-7 have a long wait ahead, just that those day 1 orders are significant.

It app depends on the production ramp..... hopefully Elon will tweet more info on that as time goes on.

It sure would be nice if UID were sequence... My UID is only 4 digits long because I created a MyTesla login long long ago well before reserving Model 3...

I suspect that there will be a new # like RSN (sequence number) that gets generated at some later date once they sort out how they are going to sequence the orders.

I suspect that UID is just related to when you created the MyTesla login, not directly related to your order sequencing.

Can you elaborate on the factory stats? How are you calculating the 3 months production time to fill 100k+ orders?

I think he is using Elon's quote during the unveiling that the Freemont factory used to produce 500k/year. That means 41.5k/month. If there were 115k orders when Elon demoed the car that means 2.8 months to make all the cars for people who made a reservation at the store and online before the event.

I think he is using Elon's quote during the unveiling that the Freemont factory used to produce 500k/year. That means 41.5k/month. If there were 115k orders when Elon demoed the car that means 2.8 months to make all the cars for people who made a reservation at the store and online before the event.

That would be a 13-17x increase in manufacturing output in less than 2 years. They currently deliver ~30k-40k per year.

That would be a 12x increase in manufacturing output in less than 2 years. They currently deliver ~30k-40k per year.

Yes but that is what they really want to do. I think if Elon isn't able to make 10x as many cars as he does now then the Model 3 will be a failure. He needs to increase quantity to drive down price. At his current numbers there is little probability he can get the Model 3 cost down low enough to sell it at 35k.

I was surprised at the unveiling that he had cars already running on the street. But now that I look back at it it makes total sense. Think about it. If you want to mass produce a car it takes longer to bring up the factory because you need to dial in the robotics and make sure the production is as streamlined as possible. While the car isn't completely done I am guessing it is really close to production quality as it sits for this reason. After they get all of the production dialed in they'll have to run 100 cars or more through the entire process and probably need a few months of time to tweak the production. When that is all done then hopefully producing at much larger capacity is done.

I remember watching a video on Netflix on the 50th anniversary mustang release. They had the car ready to go way in advance because they had to get production ready months in advance to prepare for the first release. Mass producing cars takes way longer ahead of time than when you are making small production runs because of all the tooling and automation setup.