Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have thoughts on TTWO? They obviously had a huge beat due to the success of GTA V, yet the stock has barely moved since the release of the game, even though it broke all kinds of records... seems very strange to me that it doesnt go up more?

(sorry if this doesnt count as a tech stock)

FB beats. FB up 14% right now AH

then tanked all the way back down to 1%.... huh?

Yeah, what's up with that? Apple beats, gets killed in minutes. FB beats, gets killed in an hour or two (it's in the red now). I haven't looked at FB ER and didn't play it, but it'd be interesting to know what precisely did the market not like this time around. It'll be hard to please the market, but if all of the bigs fail to please and Tesla somehow miraculously manages to please we might be in for quite a ride... Then again I think it's more likely we'll get painted with the same paint seeing initially a bump and then drain down ... Sure hope it's not the case, but the market seems to jerk their knees a lot lately.

if didnt hear the CC but the rumor mill was that it Zuck said dont expect this growth to continue, then BLAE all hell broke lose.

Other rumor i see is that US teens are actually leaving FB now.

- - - Updated - - -

"Stock has surrendered some gains, now up just 2.5%. Topeka's Victor Anthony tells MarketWatch it was probably the comment on a decline in daily usage among younger teens."

What do you guys think about Bitcoins?

I took a serious look into it in the last couple weeks, and I think that could be the most important innovation since the Internet (yea very very bold claim)
Think of it that way. Its not the Money of the Internet, its the Internet of Money.
There a certainly risk factors but the upside seems to outweigh the downside by magnitudes.
Would love to hear an educated opinion on that.

Been using it since ca April. It's tough to buy something legit with it and doing BTC to PayPal for example I got burned a lot because people reversed their CC transaction a month or two later. I have bought digital goods for it and exchanged it for money (I mine it), but it's far far too volatile still for goods and it has huge issue that the money once sent is not retractable in any way. So if you figure out you're being scammed it's tough luck. There are sites like bitmit.net that provide an e-bay like service with escrow so you pay them, then the goods are shipped and then you release funds and that seems to work partially, but I bought a few same items over the course of 24h and what I paid for them in the three orders varied by 10%. That's too much still for real e-commerce.

But thats a very well known paypal scam, e.g. when I sell on ebay I never accept paypal since they will just reverse it and the seller is screwed. So that story basically says that in the same situation using Bitcoins you wouldn't got screwed since they can't reverse a transaction with bitcoins.

For the price argument yes it is volatile right know but sites can use provider like The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions | BitPay that show their price in fiat money and dynamically adjusts to the exchange rate.

I think its important to understand that bitcoin is not just another paypal, its much more and if widely adopted it will have huge impacts on the world economy. The government wouldnt have any control over money supply and couldn't inflate the fiat currency how the want.

Its like when most people discovered the Internet in the 90s and saw that its possible to chat and write emails and thought thats basically it.

Thats a very informative talk that gives a broader picture of the possible impact of Bitcoin and crypto currencies in general

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the hope is to move away from the few holding huge amounts of fiat, but in the BTC world there are a few individuals who in the early days mined and aggregates tens of thousands of BTC. Those people can move the market and manipulate it far far more than the fiat world can ever be manipulated. It's done daily too...

And the exchange doesn't help because you just varu how much BTC you get for the same bread you sell and then the BTC might be 10-20% less worth 5 min later giving you a substantial loss... Also, mining is now concentrating to specific people owning ASICs so that part at least to some extent is also becoming dangerous.

overall I'd say nice concept and I keep using it for some purposes, but I doubt it's a good enough solution to be actually adopted. It's the first reasonable attempt, but it wasn't to my mind helped either with the spawning of hundreds of alternate cryptos that are now around. Just look at coinchoose.com that helps select what coin to mine at any point in time to get best profit.

I don't think a major government in the world would support BTC. In fact, if it becomes large enough there are probably enough aligned incentives for the US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, China, EU, India & other large nations to basically take it down. See Switzerland and tax haven status for an example.

I don't think a major government in the world would support BTC. In fact, if it becomes large enough there are probably enough aligned incentives for the US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, China, EU, India & other large nations to basically take it down. See Switzerland and tax haven status for an example.

Its decentralized, so its impossible to take it down.
Its like trying to take down the Internet.

Its decentralized, so its impossible to take it down.
Its like trying to take down the Internet.

I posted about Bitcoin earlier in this thread. I think you are correct in believing that it is an important innovation. It's bigger and more disruptive than Tesla IMO. Currently its still pretty new and in the early adopter phase. Recently, however, there has been a lot of VC invested in new business ideas so I would expect to see more and more services that make BTC usable for the average person coming to the market. I think we will also see a dramatic increase in value when more and more investment opportunities arise for the common investor - see the Winklevoss Twins' Bitcoin ETF.

I just wish I was as smart as my friend who introduced me to BTC... He was buying thousands of them at $3/BTC :)

I'm deep and long on a biotech, Cytori Therapeutics ( CYTX), who just inked a deal to license their stem cell (derived from patients own fat cells at bedside) therapy in Asia for a good chunk of cash and shares. CYTX is up 50% today after hours.

You guys may want to put them on your watch list and do some research. USA FDA is far behind other countries in stem cell acceptance despite the fact that the biggest stem cell companies are in the USA, specifically a large number of them in San Diego.

Do your own research... But as a data point, I have more in CYTX than I do in TSLA.

What do you all think about home automation/integration? I really feel that this will be huge in the intermediate-term, and is a cool tech way to play housing. Right now I am looking at CTRL, but have not yet dipped a toe in. Thoughts?

The only name I've suggested on this thread - back in its first days - has been GT Advanced Technologies. GTAT just announced a very large deal with Apple; they are opening a sapphire-glass manufacturing site in Mesa AZ (are using the just-closed First Solar plant there that I referenced last week in the Solar thread). Apple is fronting $600mm to GTAT for putting up the plant.

GTAT is holding up the entire rest of my portfolio in today's sell-off - it's up 22% this morning. Still attractive at this price, however, if you're in it for the long term. Sapphire glass is GT's new production leg, but their product line and kilns for the PV panel industry also have excellent growth prospects.

Ouch, what do you think happened?

Seems pretty typical for this stock lately. Whenever news comes out the stock goes down, good or bad. From the limited reading I did on the ER it looks like news is good other than the fact the Crede deal was dilutive and probably not the best move. They are burning through capital but they still have 25M on hand (technically 45M but 20M of that can't be touched). The really good news that came out of it was that they obtained an EU partner on Lymphoseek, which is what they have been waiting for recently.