Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think people care about battery degradation, because when we bought our vehicles, we had to choose, larger or smaller battery, so it became clear, battery = money. Thus, when our cars started to lose battery capacity soon after purchase, people felt like they were immediately losing money. Some don't care, but some do. Some people care if their car gets a scratch, so they PPF and coat their cars with expensive finishes, some people don't care because scratches are inevitable. Some people don't care if their rims get scratched and some people do.

It's that sort of thing. I'm somewhere in the middle, I expect my car to get scratched and dinged over time, but I do like to prevent it as long as possible. The same applies to the battery. I expect it to degrade over time, as all batteries do, my phone battery, my 12v battery, my laptop battery, etc., but who doesn't want to minimize that over time, especially if there are simple things one can do with little inconvenience. I charge to 58% at night, and it's been no inconvenience at all. That's the only thing I've done to try to mitigate battery degradation. Why wouldn't I try it?

Reactions: Rocky_H and m3p-ev
Wouldn’t the battery just keep itself warm via heat pump?
No. Bitter cold is harmless. Maybe keep it above -15F to be safe but no idea whether Tesla has any lower limit. It is not clear what it would be since it is largely pointless to spend energy on a battery if not plugged in, which is the worst case they must be able to handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and m3p-ev
No. Bitter cold is harmless. Maybe keep it above -15F to be safe but no idea whether Tesla has any lower limit. It is not clear what it would be since it is largely pointless to spend energy on a battery if not plugged in, which is the worst case they must be able to handle.
As per the manual :

Temperature Limits​

For better long-term performance, avoid exposing Model 3 to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a time.

As per the manual :

Temperature Limits​

For better long-term performance, avoid exposing Model 3 to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a time.
Yes I am aware of that, but whether they do anything special (per original post) at that point I have no idea.

Fortunately this is so cold it rarely matters anyway.

Reactions: m3p-ev and Ther0ck
Yes, that right! Good info!

I have seen my battery reach about -20C both with the cable connected and not connected (some -30C or so outside) The car didnt heat the battery until I started charging.

Tesla state to avoid leaving the car for more than 24h in -30C or colder. Probably a big margin to any issues with the battery but I have started charging the car after about one day to get he battery heated.

The research shows that lithium batteries have virtually no calendar aging at -20C so by pronciole low temperatures is not bad at all, as long as it isnt too cold (taking Teslas maximum 24 Hrs in -30C or colder).

90% as at 80% the car is not able to balance well. I am at 5+ years and 108,000+ miles and still at 95% of new.

Model3_range.JPG

90% as at 80% the car is not able to balance well.

It seems like a mixup betweens different things in this thread.

Balancing: (cell balancing) Making the cells (or group of cells) have the same voltage, or at least reduce the spread between the highest and lowest voltage cells. The BMS use the possibility to burn off energy from the cells that are high in voltage to equalize. In general this probably do not have much to do with range or battery capacity.

BMS calibration: (A forum invented term.) Actions that help the BMS to better see the capacity of the battery. In general not needed, but in some case it can increase the displayed range by recuding the fault in the BMS judged capacity of the battery. It do not increase the real range of the car and it doesnt increase the real capacity.

Tesla use 5mV as the lover limit for cell balancing. I have more or less always 4 mV when the car is at sleep even if I use low SOC like charge to 55% for several weeks in a row.

Imbalance vs estimated capacity: Do not seem to have any coupling. My BMS was lof for some months in the end of last summer, and the BMS was off by about 3-3.5kWh (underestimating the capacity), still I had 4mV any given day during this period. (No, I didnt do a BMS calib, as there was no need for this).

Only had the car a week but so far I'm using Departure charging to 60%. It's 10% to work and 11% back home (30 miles each way, almost all highway) so the car spends most of is time sitting at 50% during work hours and then 40% soc at home until it charges to be ready to start the cycle again. Don't know if it will make any difference in longevity/degradation but it works well for me and keeps plenty of buffer for any unplanned drives.

For the weekend I'll have to see what works in the long run but the plan is have just charge as soon as it's plugged in to 60% each time.

Reactions: AAKEE
Routinely down to <30% then up to 80% on level 1 every couple of weeks as a low mileage driver.

Since I started doing that, the BMS perceived battery degradation - and it really is only "perceived" - has improved immensely.

I do a couple of road trips a year, 1200 to 3000 miles each, and supercharge as much as I like, including to 100% if that's what makes me comfortable for the next leg.

Only had the car a week but so far I'm using Departure charging to 60%. It's 10% to work and 11% back home (30 miles each way, almost all highway) so the car spends most of is time sitting at 50% during work hours and then 40% soc at home until it charges to be ready to start the cycle again. Don't know if it will make any difference in longevity/degradation but it works well for me and keeps plenty of buffer for any unplanned drives.

For the weekend I'll have to see what works in the long run but the plan is have just charge as soon as it's plugged in to 60% each time.
Based on the degradation graphs that @AAKEE frequently posts, you may want to charge to 55% routinely if your car has an NCA battery (Performance), since that seems to be where the step in degradation rate seems to be for NCA batteries. However, departure charging to 60% and then immediately using 10% does mean relatively little time spent above 55%.

Based on the degradation graphs that @AAKEE frequently posts, you may want to charge to 55% routinely if your car has an NCA battery (Performance), since that seems to be where the step in degradation rate seems to be for NCA batteries. However, departure charging to 60% and then immediately using 10% does mean relatively little time spent above 55%.
I'll adjust to 55%, seems like it won't make any difference in my day to day so I figure why not!

But Elon says 90% or 95% are fine! And no reason to go below 80%. Who are you going to believe? 😂

Now I am just causing problems, adding no value (as is typically the case when posting ElonTweets). 😢

View attachment 936494View attachment 936495
He can’t tell people only charge to 50% because general public will freak out and anti-EV pundits would have a field day saying you can’t charge your EV more than 50% so they are useless.

Automakers will only publicly recommend 80-90 charging because that’s more psychologically acceptable and will work for everybody no matter what whist still having acceptable longevity from a warranty replacement standpoint.

It’s way too nuanced and complicated to explain to the general public how they need to vary the charge limit based on their daily needs.

I am doing the exact same thing with my new NCA M3p but at 55% as per the thread recommendations. I have the exact highway commute and lose about 10% each way as well - coming home with 30% works great!

Tessie is a paid app but it’s pretty great for more in depth graphs/data exploration! My goal is to stay way above the fleet average as it is right now :)

Attachments

• 4D5EC2C7-1607-4D2C-9E8C-BD13ED67E81E.jpeg
    4D5EC2C7-1607-4D2C-9E8C-BD13ED67E81E.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: M3P Heavy