Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just brought home a used 2022 LR AWD with 6,900 miles on it.. I've read this whole thread and must admit, most is over my head.. I love how users (@AAKEE ) take the time to dig into all this and share their knowledge.. So appreciate it!!
:)
That being said, my daily commute is 17 miles one way to work so 34 miles give or take minimum.. Plus some running around for kids practices etc.. Setting my charge to 55% should be no issue for me as at that charge Tessie says "estimated 150 miles real world"..

Is it 55% or 50% that is the best to set at?
As low as possible. Which means 50% as Tesla did not give us the opportunity to set 3% as the daily… (just kidding).

The big difference is to keep the battery at or below 55% for NCA chemistry (well its 57% true SOC but 55% on our screens)

The thing is, for calendar aging the big reduction in calendar aging happens at 55% or below. If you reduce to 50%, there might be a very small, probably not noticable difference.
“Theoretically” 50% is better but as the calendar aging is about the same in some regions, the selection of 55% can be done without virtually no cost in increased degradation. Thats why I use 55%.
Also, Tessie has 96.9% battery health.. Is it possible to get that back up to 100% by following the charging guidelines suggested (the 50/55%)? I can see myself charging it higher for the weekends and trips etc.. I'm getting a Gen3 wall charger installed right now..
No. Lost capacity is forever lost. Thats how we should think. To some extent, its possible to recover capacity.
After using high SOC or fast charging if the low SOC strategy is used some of the lost capacity will probably return. But not all.
I do not have a good knowledge of the recovery but in most cases it probably is not a big part of the lost capacity.
Also, if I go with the 50/55% daily charge, is it ever suggested to charge up to 80+% for any reason? Sorry, still learning and reading a ton.. Freaking love all this data even if I don't understand it all! lol
Lithium ion batteries do not have any memory effect.
There is no need to charge higher for this reason.
If you use low SOC, and somehow get a lower capacity estimate by the BMS, you can perform a BMS calibration. This never restores real range, but it might restore the indicated range.
I had a BMS off track last summer but I did no BMS calib but just let it return by itself.
If the displayed number is important to you, you might need a BMS calibration some time.

Good question, I will be listen for akee's answer on that.
You might see a (slight) increased range from the recovery of the battery capacity, possibly also increased range as 50-60% seems to in the end show a higher range.
In the end, we will not restore the list capacity.
Low degradation comes from avoiding the things that cause degradation, not from recovery ;)

Reactions: kilpatds
No. Lost capacity is forever lost. Thats how we should think. To some extent, its possible to recover capacity.
After using high SOC or fast charging if the low SOC strategy is used some of the lost capacity will probably return. But not all.
I do not have a good knowledge of the recovery but in most cases it probably is not a big part of the lost capacity.
Appreciate the reply! So is it concerning that my car which is a year old with only 7K miles is already down to 96.9% (according to Tessie)?

So is it concerning that my car which is a year old with only 7K miles is already down to 96.9% (according to Tessie)?
I have a Feb 2022 MSLR, 16 months old, with 10, 300 miles. Tessie says 3.8% degredation, right on the fleet average line. So it seems your vehicle is average or better than average. Side note: my car's battery degredation (per Tessie) is less today than it was a month ago. That coincides with gradually setting charge limit lower and lower from 89% to now at 55%, more details on that later. Does Tessie really know? I think (and I only know half of everything) the absolute numbers depend on who/what is making the measurements. To me, more important is trend.

Appreciate the reply! So is it concerning that my car which is a year old with only 7K miles is already down to 96.9% (according to Tessie)?
Most cars will loose some 5% the first year. Some more, some slightly less. Most depending on temperature (climate) and the average SOC the car has.

97% capacity after one year is very good.
I would guess that Tessie possibly set a too low initial capacity, which shows a little understated degradation (usually, it’s lika that).
Care to post a screen dump of the ”available capacity” and the initial, inside the meter?

I have a Feb 2022 MSLR, 16 months old, with 10, 300 miles. Tessie says 3.8% degredation, right on the fleet average line. So it seems your vehicle is average or better than average. Side note: my car's battery degredation (per Tessie) is less today than it was a month ago. That coincides with gradually setting charge limit lower and lower from 89% to now at 55%, more details on that later. Does Tessie really know? I think (and I only know half of everything) the absolute numbers depend on who/what is making the measurements. To me, more important is trend.
Tessie has got some things wrong. Some parts is good, some is nor as good.(In the furure I hope they sort these things out).

Care to post a dump of the tesdie screen?

Reactions: zoomer0056
I will. I'm gathering data now. Stay tuned, maybe a week of more of charges. Then I'll file a report.
You maybe can post a picture of the energy screen and the SOC, like this:
4064E8AC-40CE-469E-A48F-ABA3B7C666D1.jpeg

That will give us the capacity that the BMS thinks.

Most cars will loose some 5% the first year. Some more, some slightly less. Most depending on temperature (climate) and the average SOC the car has.

97% capacity after one year is very good.
I would guess that Tessie possibly set a too low initial capacity, which shows a little understated degradation (usually, it’s lika that).
Care to post a screen dump of the ”available capacity” and the initial, inside the meter?
Absolutely!! Just please tell me exactly where to find them. Thanks!