Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. I guess I was really asking if there was any additional balancing that takes place after charging hits 100% and it seems like “no”. If that’s the case, no reason to have it sit at 100% longer than necessary.

There is probably balancing that takes place past 93% charge or something like that. Sitting at 100% for a little bit may help the BMS calibrate a bit better but who really knows.

I have been charging at work which gets me 50% in 8 hours, around that. So I will wait till the car runs down to 30% then set back to 80% at work. I will do this every other day. I never let the car sit below 30% overnight.
From my understanding, the lower the SOC, the better. So letting the car sit at 25% / 20%, or even 10% should not be an issue, but rather good for battery life.

Thank you. I guess I was really asking if there was any additional balancing that takes place after charging hits 100% and it seems like “no”. If that’s the case, no reason to have it sit at 100% longer than necessary.
I don't think anybody knows for sure.
But my understanding is also that balancing can be done by charging to 100% SOC and then driving it back down right after the charging session completes.

Poll needs another option....

I have my HomeAssistant instance dynamically adjusting charge target to strongly preference charging on solar. I programmed an adjustment for temperature, too. So just about 60% in summer temperature conditions, up to 75% in deep winter conditions. That way we usually have sufficient range to get to the second closest DCFC in every major direction we would want to drive.

It gets a 95% charge then drive to ~20% trip every 4-8 weeks to trigger pack rebalance / total energy recalculate.

Did you see 551km on screen at the battery symbol?

Each km is worth 137Wh at 100%.
551 km = 75.6kWh capacity.
Looks like the 78.8kWh battery after a slight degradation.
Finally, I charged it to 100%: it showed 567 km.
It's a little weird: the first photo was taken June 10, 2023 (previous owner, 3000 km ago) it was 551km, and the second - I did it on August 25: 567 km.

Attachments

• 551.jpg
    551.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 567.jpg
    567.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 40
You would probably find the capacity to be about that if you did a energy sceen calc.
Yeah. I turned it on when I had a long trip (502 km) as you explained earlier, to check when I would have to decrease the speed because I started from 110 km/h. For about 300 km I drove at 110 km/h, then I switched to 100 km/h and the final 150 km was mixed speed, mostly ~70 km/h and consumption 110-120Wh/km. So, after 502 km, which took 6 hours, 4% / 21 km left, and the average consumption was 141Wh/km.
is the 19 or 20 inch selectable? Test those and see what range you get?
I have these options, but it should be combined with 100% SoC. I don't know when I'll do it

Reactions: AAKEE
Yeah, I saw it. Still, I want to see some real empirical tests of very low SoC, that it doesn't affect capacity/power.
I have never seen any empirical cell tests or any chemical mechanism explanation that shows very low SOCs will have a long term negative effect vs higher SOCs. This one was always the worst one of the myths as there is literally zero evidence to support it.

The very higher SOCs at least there are some cell tests that show this.

Reactions: melvladimir
For how long you have been doing this? Did you test your battery capacity at the very beginning? It's very interesting to have empirical results because I read very skeptical opinions regarding below 20% SoC.
Below 20% is fine.

For cycles some tests show the sweetspot is perhaps stop discharge at 10% or so.
But its absolutely not bad to go to 0%, compared to using high SOC.
Low SOC is not an issue.