Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I use on my new Tesla? A Wax, a Paint Sealant or a Permanent Coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to be clear. If i am going to get XPEL AND Opti-Coat Pro, which application do i have put on the car first?

Also, I spoke to a local XPEL installer and he says that he does not wrap the XPEL around the surfaces. Instead, he gets the sheets to about 1/8 inch or so to the edge. I thought wrapping is the way to go. Am I wrong about that?

Don't go with that guy and keep searching for someone that does wrap it around the edges...my guy here in FL uses the templetes as well but gets the machine to cut them bigger so that he can be able to wrap it around the edges.

Here is the list for Authorized Xpel installers in Maryland
http://locator.xpel.com/clearbra_installers/listings/United_States/Maryland

Not sure how others do it, but we do a proper correction prior to any xpel install. You do not want to wax or apply any sealnt to the paint once polished and prepped. This will hinder the adhesive of the film to be able to bond with the clear coat. Once film is applied, you can use a proper wax/sealant/coating that is safe for the film. Depending on which xpel is applied, we only apply Ultimate, the film surface can always benefit from an extra layer of protection

- - - Updated - - -

+1...completely agree with Pete. Any competent and skilled installer should be able to manipulate the pattern and install a wrapped edge. It costs more, but end results are worth it.

Gray P85. Which coating?

Then Opti-Coat the entire car, if your Tesla is a dark color I recommend going with GTechniq C1/Exov2 instead for a deeper shine. I am an authorized installer for all major coatings so I've had the chance to compare them all.

I have the Gray P85. Would you recommend Opti-Coat or GTechniq C1 or Exov2 as the coating to go on top of the XPEL Ultimate?

My detailer has done about 35 Teslas in the east bay and recommended a paint correction and clear coat followed by full wrap and then coat it again. He said many owners did that and results were great.

What? Now I'm really confused. If I'm reading your post correctly, your detailer recommends paint correction, then something like Opti-Coat, then XPEL, and then Opti-Coat again?? Previous posts led me to believe that Opti-Coat should be applied AFTER XPEL, not before (and after).... Can someone clarify this for me. Thanks.

What? Now I'm really confused. If I'm reading your post correctly, your detailer recommends paint correction, then something like Opti-Coat, then XPEL, and then Opti-Coat again?? Previous posts led me to believe that Opti-Coat should be applied AFTER XPEL, not before (and after).... Can someone clarify this for me. Thanks.

well if you want it absolutely perfect, that is what I would recommend too. gonna cost you some $$$$ though. if i had all the money in the world, that's what i would do. however, I dont have all the money in the world, and its just a car. so i skipped the paint correction (probably a mistake), and did XPEL then Glare.

well if you want it absolutely perfect, that is what I would recommend too. gonna cost you some $$$$ though. if i had all the money in the world, that's what i would do. however, I dont have all the money in the world, and its just a car. so i skipped the paint correction (probably a mistake), and did XPEL then Glare.

Let me clarify this for you guys..AND IF YOU HAVE A DETAILER THAT TELLS YOU OTHERWISE you are about to get ripped off or he doesn't know what he's doing.

When you get a new Tesla and you want to have the film installed and the car coated steps are as followed:

1- Paint Correction
2- Xpel or any other film of your choice
3- Coating (GTechniq, C. Quartz Finest, Opti-Coat Pro, 22PLE or Modesta)

Let me clarify this for you guys..AND IF YOU HAVE A DETAILER THAT TELLS YOU OTHERWISE you are about to get ripped off or he doesn't know what he's doing.

When you get a new Tesla and you want to have the film installed and the car coated steps are as followed:

1- Paint Correction
2- Xpel or any other film of your choice
3- Coating (GTechniq, C. Quartz Finest, Opti-Coat Pro, 22PLE or Modesta)

Thanks Pete. A guy i talked to today suggested Paint Correction, a coating of GTechniq (I am getting a Gray Tesla), XPEL Ultimate, and then another coating of GTechniq on top of the XPEL. Does that make sense to you?

A little known fact is, most of the magic and appearance comes from a proper polishing, not waxing. Imperfections such as scratches, swirls, buffer marks, bird dropping stains, etc. are all removed with compounding and/or polishing. Once that is done, if applying clear film, NOTHING should be done to the paint as far as wax or sealant goes. Think about it.

1. Waxes, sealants, coatings are applied to PROTECT the surface and form a bond to the clear coat so nothing sticks to the clear coat. How is the adhesive from the film going to properly bond to the clearcoat if there's a layer of protectant between the two? Doesn't make logical sense

2. The whole point of the clear film is to PROTECT the paint, and it's going to do it better than any wax, sealant, coating. So why put something there before it? If the paint is prepped properly, you're basically freezing time and capturing that condition for as long as the film is on the surface. When you remove the film down the road, that surface beneath it should be identical to what it was when the film was first applied

3. You run the risk of warranty issues if there are ever any lifting of the film since the surface had a coating on it

I hope this makes common sense. We've been installing film for many years and our installers have decades of experience and have been laying down XPEL in particular for years. I would highly recommend against doing anything other than claying and polishing prior to any clear film install. It's just not needed and it can pose more issues down the road.

Once the film is installed, it is definitely beneficial to apply a protective coating that is compatible with the film.

If you do a search, you can find a ton of horror stories backing up the idea that putting on a paint protective coating BEFORE a clear bra/Xpel is a bad idea waiting to happen. I have had to talk multiple Xpel/clear bra installers through the process of taking off coating like Opti-Coat and Gtechniq. Bottom line, GTechniq EXO is a hydrophobic coating that is designed so NOTHING can stick to the surface once it's cured. So, NOTHING includes things like 3M adhesive....

There is a definitive benefit of having a coating applied OVER the plastic wrap, just like there is for the paint. Less abuse from environmental and industrial hazards, and therefore less fading.

Listen to Peter, he knows what he is talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone recommend a really GOOD Detail shop in the Cupertino/Sunnyvale/San Jose area?

PM me and I will get you in contact with someone