Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What state of charge at delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might want to try ABetterRoutePlanner back to your destination ... perhaps experiment with 20%, 30% ... as the START charge, and see where it recommends you charge. Planning to NOT charge at West Drayton might be best, more likely that will be full than if there are alternatives available on your route.

Reading (M4), Oxford (M40) and South Mimms (M25/A1) are "not far" ... M1 is more tricky and for anything M25-South I'd use Heathrow if West Drayton busy

In case you aren't already aware:

On SatNav the Bright Red Pins for Superchargers are "within range", just click and press [Navigate]. The light-red pins are "out of range". If you click on a Supercharger Pin it will tell you the number of stalls free - that will change before you get there, but might help you decide between e.g. West Drayton and Heathrow

If you "pair" you will have significantly less power, until the other car leaves or gets to high enough %age that it tapers. So best to avoid (Stall Pairs are labelled A/B, usually next to each other but not always)

I had a go at a Model-3 Collection FAQ, the following posts also have useful info

What New Owners need to Know - UK FAQ

Enjoy you new car :)
Thanks. I knew about the pairing but the PIN colour is a new one on me!

Delivery question - what software version did everyone have when they picked up? Are the current cars being delivered with v10?

Its going to be what was current around time was built if like our experience. We were delivered end Sep with 2019.15.107 but got offered and took 2019.32.2.2 later that evening. So don't expect it to be latest and greatest.

2019.15 tallies with early April software build, add couple months for build to make it to general release takes us into June-July window which tallies with my guestimate of when car was built based upon various other things, like homelink being removed end of May.

got offered and took 2019.32.2.2 later that evening

I don't know how long a download normally takes, but it is possible the download happened at Tesla and then the "Install" was offered when you got home ...

I had a similar thing, got home and was offered the Install. Definitely didn't have WiFi set up at home at that time (but it might have downloaded on the route home ...)

I'm guessing, but perhaps the Norm is for the latest/whatever version to download as soon as a new car is either in the showroom, or shortly thereafter

I don't know how long a download normally takes, but it is possible the download happened at Tesla and then the "Install" was offered when you got home ...

No, because I had to wait for it to download then once done, had to wait for it to install. Thankfully I could wait inside for download to finish, but being inside car whilst updating is almost as exciting as being inside it when supercharging :D

Even better, I could repeat the experience another 4 times over the following 4 weeks.

Actually according to TeslaFi, 2019.15.107 wasn't actually installed until right before pickup. So no idea what it had prior to that.

according to TeslaFi, 2019.15.107 wasn't actually installed until right before pickup

Interesting. Did you have TeslaFi running before pickup then? I am presuming it only logs the install of a version after it starts logging (as no retrospective logging available), but perhaps on "first use" TeslaFi picks up the "currently installed version no" and puts that in the Version History as a start point?

Did you have TeslaFi running before pickup then?

Oh Yes. I set TeslaFi up day before collection and once we had connection via app (no notification, the car just suddenly became available in app) about 20-30 mins before being introduced I just made sure that TeslaFi was logging - once I had tooted the horn to test connectivity of course - peed our pants in childish excitement but I think handover guy wasn't too impressed ;) Probably explains why he was Mr Unhelpful and just wanted us out of there, although he cited H&S with all the moving cars and all that crap. What a load of b.........

Anyhow, our first TeslaFi logs started about 20 minutes before physical handover which also coincides with the firmware installation date/time. So presumably it just recorded first install version as when it first started logging, whose version seems to coincide with the build dates and version available at that moment in time.

I'm pretty certain its free supercharging on collection day. It was for me.

The key is to decide which supercharger is on your way and within 50% range and then tell the car to navigate to that charger. That way it will prepare the battery for supercharging and not divert you off route to some other random charger.

Don't make the same mistake I did, being clueless on day one, and rely on the car to decide which supercharger is best for your route. The car sent me way off course from the outset to a London supercharger when I could have very easily made it to the M4 supercharger that was on my route.

If traffic conditions were gridlock on the more direct route then SatNav would have avoided them ...

That might have had nothing to do with it of course, but it might.

I wish that were true but not so. After collecting at West Drayton and setting the navigation to South Wales the car sent me to Colnbrook instead of putting me on the M4. I had plenty of charge to get to Membury services on the M4 and on my route.

It may seem like a small detour to Colnbrook but the traffic on the roads around heathrow was very busy, unlike the M4, and added about 45 minutes to my journey when I should have been out of London on the motorway.

My unwitting experience of the "trip planner" was not good so its now permanently disabled. Far better to manually select superchargers to navigate to, otherwise you could end up on a wild goose chase.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
We had 34% as we drove out of West Drayton last week. Assume it started with a but more but we spent have 30 minutes checking it over and getting the profile set up. We charged it to 90% at the on site super charger for free.

I had 31% on Model-S on Wednesday (West Drayton)

2 cars waiting to charge there, so I went to Heathrow Hilton (only a few minutes away, and 12 chargers). Got a discount in the restaurant as well by just flashing my key. Only time that has impressed anyone !!

Delivery question - what software version did everyone have when they picked up? Are the current cars being delivered with v10?
I wish that were true but not so. After collecting at West Drayton and setting the navigation to South Wales the car sent me to Colnbrook instead of putting me on the M4. I had plenty of charge to get to Membury services on the M4 and on my route.

It may seem like a small detour to Colnbrook but the traffic on the roads around heathrow was very busy, unlike the M4, and added about 45 minutes to my journey when I should have been out of London on the motorway.

My unwitting experience of the "trip planner" was not good so its now permanently disabled. Far better to manually select superchargers to navigate to, otherwise you could end up on a wild goose chase.

Wish they could have just used Google maps engine . Beats Tesla mapping every time and better GUI IMHO.