Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What New Owners need to Know - UK FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Genuinely, I have been an owner for a little under three years and doubt I would have progressed (however little) this far without the help and guidance of this forum.

Many thanks to all concerned!

Can't help but agree. Imminent owner and likely wouldn't have been without the help and advice from users of this forum. I've seen numerous stories about the Tesla community - this is a great example and has really helped with understanding what I need to do to progress my order (where communication from Tesla themselves has been distinctly lacking).

I'll let everyone know what comes with my UK M3 order when I collect it tomorrow!

Unfortunately, my extreme ignorance of most things concerning charging means that I have absolutely no idea what this cable enables. Could this be a CCS adapter I wonder?:oops::rolleyes:

I'm sure one of you kind gentlefolk will enlighten me at some time!:D

Does it look like this?

View media item 119984
If so then this is the CCS adapter that will let you plug your car into CCS charge points. My local SC has both type2 and the newer Model 3 plugs so I might try it out next time I'm there to see if (1) it works and (2) if there is any benefit. I recall that Bjorn had a video where he tested out the adapter and the initial charge rate was a bit quicker but from 10-90% charge the regular type2 SC plug caught up.

It doesn't take up much space so I'll keep mine in the car if I'm ever stuck in a jam with no SC nearby.

This is for US Spec cars.
I don't think so as I have one in my MX. It appears that the April19 refresh cars have CCS enabled and come with CCS adapters so we can also use the newer M3 SC stations. I've just grabbed my UMC bag and taken a few pics of what it came with. The UMC does say 32A so it's likely to be Rev1, whereas Rev2 is limited to 16A. The CCS adapter is rated at a whopping 210A but again from a video from Bjorn he said that it went to something crazy like 300A.

IMG_1446 copy.jpg IMG_1445 copy 2.jpg IMG_1444 copy.jpg

Reactions: jbcarioca
Those stations have both CCS and Type 2 cables so you don't need any adaptor for those. You just plug in the appropriate cable for your car.
Yeah I noticed. I do wonder that in the future they'll do away with Type2 hence including the adapter for legacy owners. I'll still try it out to see if it works as knowing my luck I'll roll up to a CCS station and somewhere in the software the CCS mode hasn't been enabled, although judging by the adapter it does look passive to me so who knows.

Excellent idea. I’m not sure about the technicalities of such a post but can you make or request a “sticky” that can be edited at any point in time?

I've had a go at a First Draft. I probably intended that the thread Subject included "Model-3" so maybe need to create new thread to have a more appropriate Title

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions, corrections, etc. I can incorporate them.

For anyone reading this, in future, suggest you start at the end of the thread and work back until you find the most recent version.

Model-3 UK Collection Day FAQ - Version 1

Before you set off for handover:

Check your My Tesla that Final Invoice / Paperwork is all in order. If anything needs correcting can then be done “when you are there”

Print / Read Check List for inspecting new vehicle e.g. mykeln/teslaprep

There is also Guidance for every leg of your Tesla journey – Tesla Checklists but that is a paid-for list, so unless anyone has paid for it and reckons it was worth the money over freebie lists I can indicate that.

Take with you:

Driver’s license
USB cable for your phone
USB Stick?

In order to use Sentry Mode you need a USB stick. There has been quite a lot written that USB sticks fail quickly, not sure of the cause as multiple overwrites seems improbable given that a large USB actually takes quite a long time to fill once, let alone re-fill multiple times, and even sticks that are advertised as tolerating extreme temperatures seem to have failed. The answer may be to buy quality or "extreme" USB Stick models (there are some recommendations to use a micro-SD card and a USB adaptor; this obviously works well if you want to have a second micro-SD card [instead of two, more bulky, USB Sticks] whilst the first is being downloaded / reviewed)

The other problem is that it has to be formatted FAT32 (specifically NOT ex-FAT32 which Windows offers). Various workarounds for this – freebie download utilities – it is a bit more techie on a Mac

Ask about:

If you have a cherished number plate ask if they will make one up for you. Tesla have not been registering new Model-3 cars with personal plates, so far, but have been making them up on request (typically for free). That may change after initial rush has died down.

Before first drive:

Make your delivery inspection checks

Adjust seat, steering wheel and mirrors (handover person will do that with you)

Save the profile!

Profiles are displayed in the order they are created, so consider saving using the Primary Driver's name first. If that person is not you then just save the profile multiple times, with appropriate names for each one and in the right order. Those people can change and re-save their settings later.

If you further adjust your seat etc position later then you will be offered the choice to re-save your profile (or revert to original profile). Remember to save any alterations that you want to make permanent!

Set Autopilot Follow Distance to something that won't alarming ... maybe 5

Have you got enough range? If not you can charge at the Supercharger before you set off, or perhaps plan to charge at a Supercharger on your route (particularly if Supercharger at Service Centre is full). If you zoom out on the SatNav map the Dark-Red supercharger Pins are the ones in-range, and the Light-Red pins are out-of-range.

Clicking on a Supercharger Pin will display "Navigate" button to set that as your destination. (SatNav won't take you to a Supercharger if you would otherwise have enough range to reach your destination, so if you want to try out a Supercharger as a test you will need to Navigate to it.)

Setting off:

If you have never driven an automatic consider what your left foot will do. It is important to only use your right foot for both accelerator and brake, as you normally would. Some people find that initially it helps to have their left foot back, against the seat, rather than where the clutch pedal would be, to stop then inadvertently using left-foot for Brake, instead of right-foot.

Regen may be alarming initially. If you would prefer to get out of congested town centre before having to deal with that set it to LOW.
Regen will give you the best range and economy if set to STANDARD, so you may want to start experiencing that early in your EV transition

Cruise Control and AutoPilot will not be available until the sensors have calibrated. That only takes a few miles (and a message is displayed on the screen until it is completed).

Cruise Control is turned on by pressing the drive selector stalk fully down once (and AutoPilot by doing that twice).

When you turn on either Cruise Control or Autopilot the speed will be set as the speed limit - so the first time you use (either Cruise Control or Auto Pilot) it may be best to already be travelling close to the speed limit, or be behind a vehicle. (Other cars I have driven have had a means of pressing the Stalk to activate Cruise Control at “current speed”. This does not exist, yet, in Model-3. A proposed solution is to engage Cruise Control keeping foot on accelerator, set actual desired Cruise speed (on screen) and only then release foot from accelerator.)

Engage Cruise Control (CC) and take your foot off the accelerator. Best is to rest your foot nearby so you can press accelerator (to override Cruise Control if you need to - that will not disengage CC and when you take your foot off accelerator speed will reduce back to the set speed). You can change the speed +/- on the screen

If you press the brake pedal CC will be disengaged.

Once you are familiar with Cruise Control then engaging AutoPilot (drive selector stalk down twice) will be uneventful. Choose a straight section of road, and there will appear to be no difference as the car will be staying in lane.

If you steer (to override AP) then AP will be disengaged. If you brake then both CC and AP will be disengaged

You need to keep slight rotational-pressure on the wheel for AP to detect you are "holding the wheel". This is quite hard to do using two hands; one option is to put your right hard at 4 O'Clock (or left hand at 8 O'Clock) so that the weight of you hand/arm provides that turning-torque.

Take your hand(s) off the wheel - keeping them nearby the wheel in case needed - and wait for the screen to show you the warning message and then flash so that you are aware of what that looks like. You may find that happens even when you are holding the wheel, if so then you need to apply more rotational-torque (if you still have trouble the sensors are probably fault).

With AP engaged try changing lane by just steering. Wait until you have plenty of space and no cars around. It takes quite a lot of effort to overcome AP, the first time you do it there may be a significant jerk. The amount of effort you need varies according to how confident AP is ... or if you are on a tight bend and AP looks like it will be too close to the curb, then taking over will need very little effort; on the straight more force is needed to overcome AP.

You will get the "Bing-Bong" sound to tell you AP has disengaged.

Beware that knowing whether AP is on, or not, can be an issue. You may think it is on, when it isn't. The (T) steering wheel icon is Grey when off, and Blue when on.

If you have FSD:

With AP engaged and when the adjacent lane is clear (and no traffic coming, so you have time to experiment):

Signal to change lane. On the screen the blue-line marking the edge of the representation of the road will change to dotted, the car will cross into the other lane, and then dotted blue-line will become solid again. If you release the signal before you are half way across (i.e. change your mind) the car will go back to original lane, you may wish to try that. Depressing the turn-stalk fully will cause the car to complete the manoeuvre (and then you have to cancel the turn-signal).

If you want to change two lanes - from nearside to middle, and then middle to offside - you have to do it as two separate manoeuvres, first move to middle lane, cancel-turn signal, and then re-initiate the move with a new turn-signal

AP Fail points to be aware of

Brow of a hill/rise. AP may “hunt” from side to side to see where the road goes – even if it is dead straight.
Stationary object. Biggest risk is when the car in front pulls over, to avoid a parked/stationary vehicle, and AP will accelerate thinking the road is clear, so you will need to take over to avoid the obstacle.
Similarly AP may follow poor quality road markings leading it off the correct line and, potentially, into an obstacle. (This is such a rare event it may not happen at all during your ownership of the car, but it is very important to always remain vigilant, particularly after you have used AP for quite a time and you are lulled into a false sense of its abilities)

AP is also excellent for Bumper to Bumper / stop-start traffic. It can be engaged whilst stationary (you can also just engage Cruise Control if you prefer to steer whilst in traffic). On some occasions Cruise Control / AP may display a message [in stationary traffic] “Press accelerator to resume”, not sure of exact circumstances but I think if traffic has stopped on a hill.

Remember that your car is just following the one in front. When it gets to the front of the queue, and pulls out, so will you! so disengage before you get to that point!

You may wish to familiarise yourself with the Collision Warning. On a clear road drive “at” a parked car, and pull out to pass it. You will receive a collision warning (before you have changed course to avoid impact), and it is helpful to experience this to know when it occurs, and the sounds/image that is displayed, so that if it happens for real you won’t need time to interpret what the car is trying to tell you!

Supercharger

Park at a stall that has dual cables – only the stalls with two cables have the CCS cable which Model-3 needs. (Many sites have had all stalls converted already, some only have a couple of stalls converted). Model-3 SatNav will not show you Supercharger sites where none of the stalls have been converted (there are only a handful of places in Europe which have not been upgraded)

Unless the site is relatively full park at a pair of stalls that are empty. Stalls are numbered as pairs – 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B etc The A & B stalls share power, so if one is occupied you, arriving second, will have reduced power. If both A & B are vacant then parking at either will give you full power, and anyone arriving in the paired-stall whilst you are charging will get reduced power – until you leave, or your charge rate tapers (as you battery SoC increases above 60%)

Open the charging port and plug in the CCS cable. Before walking away check (i.e. on the dashboard screen) that the power ramps up to 100kW or more - provided your State-of-Charge is below, say, 50%. Above 50% the kW drops, experience will tell you what rate to expect depending on SoC percentage. If the kW is lower than expected and you are NOT Paired, then move to another stall (if available). The stall you are on is probably faulty (that’s quite rare).

I've had a go at a First Draft. I probably intended that the thread Subject included "Model-3" so maybe need to create new thread to have a more appropriate Title

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions, corrections, etc. I can incorporate them.

For anyone reading this, in future, suggest you start at the end of the thread and work back until you find the most recent version.

Model-3 UK Collection Day FAQ - Version 1

Before you set off for handover:

Check your My Tesla that Final Invoice / Paperwork is all in order. If anything needs correcting can then be done “when you are there”

Print / Read Check List for inspecting new vehicle e.g. mykeln/teslaprep

There is also Guidance for every leg of your Tesla journey – Tesla Checklists but that is a paid-for list, so unless anyone has paid for it and reckons it was worth the money over freebie lists I can indicate that.

Take with you:

Driver’s license
USB cable for your phone
USB Stick?

In order to use Sentry Mode you need a USB stick. There has been quite a lot written that USB sticks fail quickly, not sure of the cause as multiple overwrites seems improbable given that a large USB actually takes quite a long time to fill once, let alone re-fill multiple times, and even sticks that are advertised as tolerating extreme temperatures seem to have failed. The answer may be to buy quality or "extreme" USB Stick models (there are some recommendations to use a micro-SD card and a USB adaptor; this obviously works well if you want to have a second micro-SD card [instead of two, more bulky, USB Sticks] whilst the first is being downloaded / reviewed

The other problem is that it has to be formatted FAT32 (specifically NOT ex-FAT32 which Windows offers). Various workarounds for this – freebie download utilities – it is a bit more techie on a Mac

Ask about:

If you have a cherished number plate ask if they will make one up for you. Tesla have not been registering new Model-3 cars with personal plates, so far, but have been making them up on request (typically for free). That may change after initial rush has died down.

Before first drive:

Make your delivery inspection checks

Adjust seat, steering wheel and mirrors (handover person will do that with you)

Save the profile!

Profiles are displayed in the order they are created, so consider saving using the Primary Driver's name first. If that person is not you then just save the profile multiple times, with appropriate names for each one and in the right order. Those people can change and re-save their settings later.

If you further adjust your seat etc position later then you will be offered the choice to re-save your profile (or revert to original profile). Remember to save any alterations that you want to make permanent!

Set Autopilot (AP) Follow Distance to something that won't alarming ... maybe 5

Have you got enough range? If not you can charge at the Supercharger before you set off, or perhaps plan to charge at a Supercharger on your route (particularly if Supercharger at Service Centre is full). If you zoom out on the SatNav map the Dark-Red supercharger Pins are the ones in-range, and the Light-Red pins are out-of-range.

Clicking on a Supercharger Pin will display "Navigate" button to set that as your destination. (SatNav won't take you to a Supercharger if you would otherwise have enough range to reach your destination, so if you want to try out a Supercharger as a test you will need to Navigate to it.)

Setting off:

If you have never driven an automatic consider what your left foot will do. It is important to only use your right foot for both accelerator and brake, as you normally would. Some people find that initially it helps to have their left foot back, against the seat, rather than where the clutch pedal would be, to stop then inadvertently using left-foot for Brake, instead of right-foot.

Regen (Regeneration) may be alarming initially. If you would prefer to get out of congested town centre before having to deal with that set it to LOW.
Regen will give you the best range and economy if set to STANDARD, so you may want to start experiencing that early in your electric vehicle (EV) transition

Cruise Control (CC) and AutoPilot (AP) will not be available until the sensors have calibrated. That only takes a few miles (and a message is displayed on the screen until it is completed).

Cruise Control is turned on by pressing the drive selector stalk fully down once (and AutoPilot by doing that twice).

When you turn on either Cruise Control or Autopilot the speed will be set as the speed limit - so the first time you use (either Cruise Control or Auto Pilot) it may be best to already be travelling close to the speed limit, or be behind a vehicle. (Other cars I have driven have had a means of pressing the Stalk to activate Cruise Control at “current speed”. This does not exist, yet, in Model-3. A proposed solution is to engage Cruise Control keeping foot on accelerator, set actual desired Cruise speed (on screen) and only then release foot from accelerator.)

Engage Cruise Control and take your foot off the accelerator. Best is to rest your foot nearby so you can press accelerator (to override Cruise Control if you need to - that will not disengage CC and when you take your foot off accelerator speed will reduce back to the set speed). You can change the speed +/- on the screen

If you press the brake pedal CC will be disengaged.

Once you are familiar with Cruise Control then engaging AutoPilot (drive selector stalk down twice) will be uneventful. Choose a straight section of road, and there will appear to be no difference as the car will be staying in lane.

If you steer (to override AP) then AP will be disengaged. If you brake then both CC and AP will be disengaged

You need to keep slight rotational-pressure on the wheel for AP to detect you are "holding the wheel". This is quite hard to do using two hands; one option is to put your right hard at 4 O'Clock (or left hand at 8 O'Clock) so that the weight of you hand/arm provides that turning-torque.

Take your hand(s) off the wheel - keeping them nearby the wheel in case needed - and wait for the screen to show you the warning message and then flash so that you are aware of what that looks like. You may find that happens even when you are holding the wheel, if so then you need to apply more rotational-torque (if you still have trouble the sensors are probably fault).

With AP engaged try changing lane by just steering. Wait until you have plenty of space and no cars around. It takes quite a lot of effort to overcome AP, the first time you do it there may be a significant jerk. The amount of effort you need varies according to how confident AP is ... or if you are on a tight bend and AP looks like it will be too close to the curb, then taking over will need very little effort; on the straight more force is needed to overcome AP.

You will get the "Bing-Bong" sound to tell you AP has disengaged.

Beware that knowing whether AP is on, or not, can be an issue. You may think it is on, when it isn't. The (T) steering wheel icon is Grey when off, and Blue when on.

If you have Full Self-Driving (FSD):

With AP engaged and when the adjacent lane is clear (and no traffic coming, so you have time to experiment):

Signal to change lane. On the screen the blue-line marking the edge of the representation of the road will change to dotted, the car will cross into the other lane, and then dotted blue-line will become solid again. If you release the signal before you are half way across (i.e. change your mind) the car will go back to original lane, you may wish to try that. Depressing the turn-stalk fully will cause the car to complete the manoeuvre (and then you have to cancel the turn-signal).

If you want to change two lanes - from nearside to middle, and then middle to offside - you have to do it as two separate manoeuvres, first move to middle lane, cancel-turn signal, and then re-initiate the move with a new turn-signal

AP Fail points to be aware of

Brow of a hill/rise. AP may “hunt” from side to side to see where the road goes – even if it is dead straight.
Stationary object. Biggest risk is when the car in front pulls over, to avoid a parked/stationary vehicle, and AP will accelerate thinking the road is clear, so you will need to take over to avoid the obstacle.
Similarly AP may follow poor quality road markings leading it off the correct line and, potentially, into an obstacle. (This is such a rare event it may not happen at all during your ownership of the car, but it is very important to always remain vigilant, particularly after you have used AP for quite a time and you are lulled into a false sense of its abilities)

AP is also excellent for Bumper to Bumper / stop-start traffic. It can be engaged whilst stationary (you can also just engage Cruise Control if you prefer to steer whilst in traffic). On some occasions Cruise Control / AP may display a message [in stationary traffic] “Press accelerator to resume”, not sure of exact circumstances but I think if traffic has stopped on a hill.

Remember that your car is just following the one in front. When it gets to the front of the queue, and pulls out, so will you! so disengage before you get to that point!

You may wish to familiarise yourself with the Collision Warning. On a clear road drive “at” a parked car, and pull out to pass it. You will receive a collision warning (before you have changed course to avoid impact), and it is helpful to experience this to know when it occurs, and the sounds/image that is displayed, so that if it happens for real you won’t need time to interpret what the car is trying to tell you!

Supercharger

Park at a stall that has dual cables – only the stalls with two cables have the CCS cable which Model-3 needs. (Many sites have had all stalls converted already, some only have a couple of stalls converted). Model-3 SatNav will not show you Supercharger sites where none of the stalls have been converted (there are only a handful of places in Europe which have not been upgraded)

Unless the site is relatively full park at a pair of stalls that are empty. Stalls are numbered as pairs – 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B etc The A & B stalls share power, so if one is occupied you, arriving second, will have reduced power. If both A & B are vacant then parking at either will give you full power, and anyone arriving in the paired-stall whilst you are charging will get reduced power – until you leave, or your charge rate tapers (as you battery SoC increases above 60%)

Open the charging port and plug in the CCS cable. Before walking away check (i.e. on the dashboard screen) that the power ramps up to 100kW or more - provided your State-of-Charge is below, say, 50%. Above 50% the kW drops, experience will tell you what rate to expect depending on SoC percentage. If the kW is lower than expected and you are NOT Paired, then move to another stall (if available). The stall you are on is probably faulty (that’s quite rare).

This is really excellent Wannabe and as a newby to electric vehicles and all these new terms, I'm really happy that you have started this. I didn't know what your abbreviations stood for so I have looked back over various pages and added these to the various names used so that others like me don't struggle to follow. Thank you very much for doing this, from me it is much appreciated..Hopefully getting my new M3 next week (fingers crossed) and this will help me massively.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Are you kidding?!! Is this seriously supposed to be a need to know for new EV/ Tesla owners?!!
You do need to know as many years ago there was a guy who was driving an automatic in bath for the first time and panicked slamming his foot on the accelerator pedal and killing 2 people.

I would say tuck your left foot under the seat until you feel comfortable driving. Stops you from slamming your left down in a panic

Some followup from other threads:

If there's one thing I still think is wrong about engaging the car to drive it, it's that you move the drive stick up for reverse and down to go forward

Yes I agree, feels wrong-way-round to me too. After 3 years I still am careful to make sure I choose the right direction when I am parked in front of a wall and definitely need Reverse! But that said, the orientation is as-per all automatics in USA I think ...

Super charger cables are super short. Make sure you reverse your car as close as you can to the charger.

Most superchargers have a bump-stop on the tarmac, if so reverse-park until you hit it :)

The Tesla assistant recommended I leave the 'creep' mode off. I had my brother with me, he doesn't have a Tesla but had similar function in his car and insisted that creep was best.

For folk that currently drive an automatic Creep mode will probably be more familiar. If you want to Ahem! "demonstrate it", away from the lights :), then Creep Mode OFF lets you have foot over Go pedal and just punch it when you are ready

Also some people are saying that the ride is quite hard and that the tire noise is too much on the 20 inch tyres but I'm finding it really comfortable and quiet. Yes at motorway speeds there is road noise but no more than any other car I've driven or been in

Model-3 is definitely a more noisy than my Model-S. But its still blinking quiet compared to a bog-standard ICE. Bjorn fitted some different/extra? roof rubbers (in the panel-gap around roof glass etc.) which made some improvement.

Does an M3 need to be “run in” like an ICE car, i.e. restricting how quickly you drive it for the first few hundred miles?

Nah. Park it at the front of a queue of cars, get all your mates to pile in, check the road is clear, and then just "take off" :)

Important: fit passenger-facing camera on dashboard before doing those joyrides - wish i had footage/audio of initial passenger reactions :)

How is AC coping and how easy is it to use? Our 5 minutes at Park Royal earlier in the year was all about the rep raving on about the A/C controls. Wifey wasn't too impressed. She'll just stick it on 23C and that will be all she needs to know...

The "swipe-screen" to alter airflow seemed a bit of a gimmick to me, but not having a single vent blasting in my face, or away from me and then bouncing off the window, seemed better. We had to turn it up for rear seat passengers to get cool

I've owned convertibles, solid and glass roofed cars with mix of leather and fabric seats and, tbh, you can burn yourself in any of them - just a bit more to get hot if you have leather seats.

You can leave the car in "dog mode" which brings on aircon when parked to stop it getting to mega temperature. I have read that this is a get out for Tesla to prolong the life of the screen / electronics, so quite apart from having a superheated-bum when you get in, its probably a good idea to use the Cabin Temperature Limit.

You can also use APP to put on Climate as you get up from the restaurant table (well ... if you remember ... I never seem to until we get to the car "Did you put the Aircon on?" ... "Errmmm ... no" :( [Wife has the APP too of course ... but similar aged-related-memory-problem!]

I’m getting a charger installed (untethered) at home. The problem is I’m getting conflicting information on the length of the cable supplied. This is important so the unit is positioned appropriately.

I'm sure you've considered it, but do you want that wear and tear on your UMC cable? its expensive to replace. And if you need to take it with you on days when it is raining it won't be very pleasant to coil up and put in the car.

I've seen photos where people are, rightly, saying "Tethered will look ugly on front of my house" and given the average driveway there may well only be one place where car-can-park and charger-can-be-sited, and if it is in full view then that's understandable.

There is a wall charger with retractable tethered cable in case that would help. List of wall chargers here:

EVSE Options

One thing I've not worked out/seen - is there a handbrake? Or fully automatic and you just don't need to think about it? My drive is on about a 15% incline - would rather not have a model 3 through the front window first time I pull up to charge....

Great info @WannabeOwner really appreciate the extra time you've taken to make this.

Reactions: Blueskye
is there a handbrake?

The "gear lever" :p has Forward ("Drive"), Reverse and Park. If you open the drivers door (on Model-S presume M3 the same) it puts the car into Park (and of course you can put it in Park yourself - which also unlocks the doors (and, on model-S "presents" the door handles if someone is wanting to get in)

If you push the brake pedal hard (or, perhaps, a "second time" - bit foggy on whether that is correct) it engages Hill Hold - so that's another option (if you aren't actually getting out). (You get an (H) symbol on the Dash)

Beware with Hill Hold - touching EITHER pedal releases it - including, ironically, the brake. Don't let your feet dance whilst sat held on a hill!

Beware with Hill Hold - touching EITHER pedal releases it - including, ironically, the brake. Don't let your feet dance whilst sat held on a hill!

Does hill hold take itself off after a period of time? Do you recon you can hold it on a hill on the accelerator?

Its very steep hilly where we are, so often having to stop on a steep hill - our drive is on a hill, until you get to the top.

Wifeys (M3 will be her car) car is VW with DSG and a manual hill hold. So it just creeps forward when flat, but always a danger that car will start rolling back if its steep enough as you move from brake to accelerator, so manual hill hold engaged in this scenario. Otherwise hill hold is off, as you don't want it applying brakes say when slow speed manoeuvring.

Before my current manual, I drive a car with semi-auto box, which in reality was a manual box that had been automated. So no creep (brilliant in traffic jam, just feet off pedals to remain stationary). On hills, you had to feather the accelerator to balance the car - owning it for 14 years, I was pretty adept at getting this right first time, but I know some found it difficult without reverting to the handbrake.

But of course, M3 has no handbrake...

So preventing that rolling backwards down a hill is going to require some muscle memory to learn some new tricks. Just hope that hill hold is not still in beta... I can see worried looks of foot on brake, not wanting to take foot off for fear of rolling back before getting to accelerator, then judging that balance between rolling back and shooting off into the back of the car infront. Having the ability to use accelerator to take up the slack is something I hope we can still do. I'm just not imagining how a pedal that acts as both accelerator and brake will work in stop-start on a hill. And its something that we are going to have to suss pdq around here, cos getting it wrong will get expensive.

Another follow up from another thread:

Looks like its going to be pretty easy to overload the M3 weight wise - certainly wouldn't take 4 rugby players if all models are 375kg occupant and cargo limit. Likewise a family of 4, with holiday klobber and bikes on tow hitch is going to be pretty tight. I'm hoping that models with 18" wheels, is going to have a higher weight rating

Does hill hold take itself off after a period of time?

No (well ... dunno what happens if you sit like that indefinitely, but I've been in some long delays and it hasn't happened)

Do you recon you can hold it on a hill on the accelerator?

Yes, but not sure if that is good for motor? Given you can just accelerate away from HillHold I reckon that is favourable (but maybe you have a circumstance I haven't considered?). HillHold will show brake lights (hold on accelerator won't of course)

often having to stop on a steep hill

If in stop-start traffic just use Cruise or AP :) I presume that will handle steep-hill top/start traffic OK.

If you are stopping for e..g junction then I would hard-press brake, to get HillHold, and then accelerator to go when I'm ready. In that instance you must not accelerate too lightly - you will roll backwards - you need enough Umph to overcome the hill. So perhaps "beware the first time you try it" :)

If you are pausing, just to check nothing coming, then I think hold-on-accelerator is what I would do - and then change to brake if road turns out not to be clear.

Electric is WAY better than ICE in this regard. Whatever stability / traction control stuff you may be used to, coupling that with Electric Drive with instant torque, IMHO makes it much easier to provide much more intuitive feedback / control to driver, and of course with Regen you are just lifting off, or partially lifting off, to bring your speed down as you approach e.g. junction. Its more complicated to explain in type than when you actually try it for real :)

So no creep (brilliant in traffic jam

Not as brilliant as AP in traffic :) Just remember not to fall asleep !! You won't use creep in Tesla (but it is available for drivers transitioning from Automatics)

feather the accelerator to balance the car

I wonder if that puts wear on the clutch? and, indeed, how that might compare between your existing ICE and EV.

Tesla will only slow the car to (I forget) 5 MPH-ish, you need friction brakes below that. Bolt will slow the car to 0 MPH and it does that by putting reverse current into the motor (different magnets though, which i think has a bearing)

There is similar scenario in Tesla when doing 3-point turn, you can chuck in between Drive/Reverse at low speeds, makes it much easier manoeuvring as you don't actually have to stop, and you use accelerator (whilst in reverse) to first counter forward motion, and then to actually reverse :)

Tip: If doing multi-point turn then turn the backup camera on first. Every time you change Drive/Reverse the camera comes and goes, and you most probably need it sooner than it appears, each time you are in reverse.

hope that hill hold is not still in beta

Nah, all good there (although you may need some new muscle memory for amount-of-accelerator-off-HillHold-on-steep-slope). Personally I would see how you get on with AP ... perhaps test it when you have stop/start traffic in front and nothing behind!! or a wing-man driving behind with a big gap.

I'm just not imagining how a pedal that acts as both accelerator and brake will work in stop-start on a hill.

Tesla will not regen below e.g. 5 MPH, but of course on an (upslope) hill you will actually come to a stop and probably not need brakes. Whether you will want to hold it on just accelerator I'm not sure. Anyway, you have choices:

Try feather-accelerator for hill hold
Try hard-push on brake for HillHold and drive-away on accelerator
Try AP :)

Everywhere around here is dead flat, otherwise I'd try it for you. If I go East the first decent slope I come to is in the Urals !!