Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to choose......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct, and my apologies to to @GoTslaGo, I mis-read his/her post!
That said, I still want to emphasize that the RWD Teslas have excellent traction control and handle well in rain and snow.

No worries!

OP--check out some of Bjorn Nyland's videos on Youtube about driving a classic P85 in Norway. He does show that it handles extremely well in the snow, despite it being a RWD (I have been negatively biased against RWD from our BMW experience). So I do agree for the price point a 70 (non-D) would be great.

I do have to admit, I keep thinking given your situation a Model 3 would be perfect (San Fran--smaller car would be better, lower price point, etc...) and my sensible side says to wait. But I have to agree with Bimbels on this one and say: just go for it. It's a great car! Have fun! Even if you do not opt for the AutoPilot, the car comes with the hardware and you can always get it later. How cool is that!:smile:

No idea why anyone would think a RWD 70 would slip but I can assure you that it's a killer car for under 80k. I test drove both the 70D and 70 and can honestly say in Los Angeles with no snow/minimal rain, saving 5k and going with the RWD was an easy choice for me. People claim the 70D is tighter but I just didn't feel it.

If you are buying a new car you DO NOT have to order autopilot hardware. It is on all new builds. If you pay for it when configuring it costs 2500. You can always wait and activate it AFTER purchase at any time for $3000. So if money is tight now hold off and activate it later.
The winter package is a deal. Get it. You CANNOT retrofit it later. There is a thread dedicated to this. Many folks have asked if it is realistically possible. It is not.
Same with pano. Get it at purchase or forever hold your peace.
For the 2500 you will save not activating autopilot right now you can have the pano and cold weather package and be budget neutral.

Last edited:
With the budget you have, it would be good idea to go for a new car instead of CPO as you can choose exactly what you want.

You can go 70D with AP and NextGen seats(80k).

Or 70 with AP, Nextgen seats, pano, black obsdian (78k).

Good luck.

You guys are not helping!!!! LOL!!
Actually all of you have been awesome, not only with the suggestions, but I could totally feel the enthusiasm of wanting to expand the Tesla family from everyone!
I could see myself going in either direction: buying new or waiting for a CPO. Obviously buying new will satisfy my instant gratification and I could still get more than awesome car in a 70 with AP, nice upgraded seats and Pano. I'd be very happy with that config. On the other hand, the idea of waiting another year or so to get a CPO with possibly more range and options is also very appealing. I've had a CPO car before and I think they're great. You save a substantial amount and the CPO warranty definitely gives peace of mind as well. Waiting sucks though!!!

I was in the same boat with the same budget. What can I squeeze (new) into $80k? Turned out that I was able to find a CPO 2015 85d with most options for under that price with only 2,400 miles. If CPO is an option for you, it might take daily calls to your advisor but well worth the time and a little wait.

Go with a 70 RWD, you can choose any paint you want, get a pano roof and the hi fi sound and get SiriusXM - 75500. And don't forget the new car smell! You don't get that with CPO.

I don't recommend Autopilot. It is in "Beta" and is not reliable. You have to keep both hands on the wheel and be ready to take over at any moment - may as well be driving, and you're safer if you are driving. You can always enable it later when it goes to an "non-Beta" state, if and only if Tesla takes away the "hands on wheel ready to take over at any moment" requirement, which pretty much makes it useless. Just my two cents of course - I know most disagree. But I'm by no means the only one who isn't using AP as much anymore, after using it heavily since it was made available.

I don't recommend Autopilot. It is in "Beta" and is not reliable. You have to keep both hands on the wheel and be ready to take over at any moment - may as well be driving, and you're safer if you are driving. You can always enable it later when it goes to an "non-Beta" state, if and only if Tesla takes away the "hands on wheel ready to take over at any moment" requirement, which pretty much makes it useless. Just my two cents of course - I know most disagree. But I'm by no means the only one who isn't using AP as much anymore, after using it heavily since it was made available.

I highly recommend Autopilot. If you use it on conditions that Tesla recommends - on highways with well marked lanes - you will enjoy every bit of it. It is worth every penny and more..

I highly recommend Autopilot. If you use it on conditions that Tesla recommends - on highways with well marked lanes - you will enjoy every bit of it. It is worth every penny and more..

Me too. Used it today on a little 200 mile jaunt to watch my daughter confirm a Model X order -- with AP.

I drive relaxed, hands near my knees, ONE hand lightly touching wheel. I watch for things that I know will confuse AP, like a lane veering off the fast lane into the center for a rapid transit stop. I cut AP, and resumed. No problem. Makes a whole lot less stress and constant speeding, slowing, steering.

If someone is having trouble with AP, I think they don't understand it. The more you use it, the simpler it gets. It may be beta, but it's the best out there, and getting better.

KL670,

If the range of a 70 is enough for you, then go for the new one. If you need the range of an 85, then CPO is the way to go. I ended up with a budget similar to yours (started at 60k then upped it to 80K) and ended up buying a (Originally delivered 12/14) 2014 P85 fully loaded with autopilot for 82K. Where I live there are NO superchargers anywhere close. I needed the range as I drive 30k to 50k miles a year or I would have purchased a new 70. With as much driving as I do I will echo what others have said in multiple threads on TMC, that if you drive on the highway very often autopilot will truly change your driving experience. It is something that was NOT on my original must have list. However, after I test drove one with AP I quickly upped my budget to get it and I am so glad I did. It is something that will be very hard to do without from now on (unless my driving needs change). Good luck! Life is short so don't put it off and join the Tesla family. :) I'm two days shy of one months ownership and I have about 3K miles with my Tesla and I don't regret the purchase at all.

John

Justicepool, what you said totally resonated with me. My budget started out even smaller when I first noticed some MS' for sale on Craigslist in the Bay Area in the $50k range. I'm lucky to be in the SF area where there're plenty of superchargers and in fact, I don't really anticipate myself using superchargers much since we don't road trip much. In that sense, a 70 is more than sufficient. But then the idea being able to own an 85 with a similar amount of course is also very tempting.
At this time, I'm certain that I want my car to have AP. Although I'm still skeptical about fully trusting it and probably would always keep my pinky on the wheel, not buying that option just doesn't seem right to me, especially for a car that has so much potential to be better on a monthly basis!
Finally, after thirty some responses, I'm seeing a consensus: LIFE IS TOO SHORT. DON"T WAIT.
I'm just amazed at how much all of you enthusiasts are loving your experience with Tesla. I want to be part of the cult soon!!!:smile:

For my driving needs Autopilot worked out great. I had originally planned on buying a CPO Tesla in 2017 when I anticipated that I would be able to get a fully loaded model S in the 50 to 60K range. However, over the holidays a good friend of mine lost her husband. He was diagnosed with cancer and then ONE week later passed away. :( That really hit home for me, so the 2 year wait was no longer an option and I bought one that week.

Justicepool, what you said totally resonated with me. My budget started out even smaller when I first noticed some MS' for sale on Craigslist in the Bay Area in the $50k range. I'm lucky to be in the SF area where there're plenty of superchargers and in fact, I don't really anticipate myself using superchargers much since we don't road trip much. In that sense, a 70 is more than sufficient. But then the idea being able to own an 85 with a similar amount of course is also very tempting.
At this time, I'm certain that I want my car to have AP. Although I'm still skeptical about fully trusting it and probably would always keep my pinky on the wheel, not buying that option just doesn't seem right to me, especially for a car that has so much potential to be better on a monthly basis!
Finally, after thirty some responses, I'm seeing a consensus: LIFE IS TOO SHORT. DON"T WAIT.
I'm just amazed at how much all of you enthusiasts are loving your experience with Tesla. I want to be part of the cult soon!!!:smile:

Wow.....sad story. Thanks for sharing. I guess it's one of those things we hear on a regular basis, but unless it's someone close to you, it's hard to truly feel the message. Sounds like it hit you hard enough to really enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Maybe I can make it happen sooner after the tax season.

Just so you know, there is a post on the subforum Marketplace - Tesla for Sale where user DougH sells his fully loaded P85+ with AP for $83.5K with 11.5kmiles, go check it out! Maybe it's "too loaded" by what you've been saying but it's around $20k less than a similarly equipped 90D.

* Autopilot
* Rear Facing Seats
* Lacewood Decor
* Ultra High Fidelity Sound
* Black Nappa Leather (Not Next Gen)
* Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler
* Air Suspension
* Pano Roof
* 21" Grey Tesla wheels
* Pearl White paint
* Premium Interior Lighting
* White Alcantara Headliner