Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do with flooded streets? how high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"wait! What's the max height of a flooded street our Tesla's can run in?"/QUOTE]

Do not ever, under any circumstance, drive your car on a flooded street. The force that water has will catch you by surprise, the depth will catch you off guard, there can be hidden debris, and people die this way. Don't mess around. Flood damaged Teslas get stripped to pieces day after hitting auction lots, so that should tell you everything you need to know.

Is the battery not protected inside a water-tight encasing?

A dude drove a Model S through a flooded tunnel like a boat:

Watch a Tesla Model S drive (or swim) through a flooded tunnel [Video]

I would think the model 3 is probably built similarly like the model S

The packs and the motors are not sealed liquid tight. That is beside the fact that your car can float, you can get trapped in it, and you can drown. Then you car will end up on an episode of Rich Rebuilds.

There are dips that easily reach a foot of water. National guard is not called. Guess I confused people by putting that gif that only served to spark the question about water.

But thinking through, I guess we would be hearing about Tesla owners not being able to go to work or trapped in their neighborhoods from a decent storm.

Is the battery not protected inside a water-tight encasing?

A dude drove a Model S through a flooded tunnel like a boat:

https://electrek.co/2016/06/18/tesla-model-s-driving-swimming-flooded-tunnel-video/amp/

I would think the model 3 is probably built similarly like the model S

Keep in mind that was standing water, the fact that the car will float is a negative if the water is going somewhere you don't want to go. Moving water is very dangerous.

For the OPs question how deep is too deep?

* A foot of water will float many vehicles.
* Two feet of rushing water will carry away most vehicles, including SUVs and pickups.

If you aren't in complete control of the situation and have 100% information about what's under the water and where it will take you it may be too deep.

Reactions: afadeev
The battery compartment and motor are water resistant, not water proof. Driving in the rain or through a puddle is less likely to do damage to a Tesla than to an ICE which can get hydro locked if they get water in the air intake. Sitting in deep water is going to total your car, just like an ICE. Those Model 3s didn't have their bumpers fall off, the bumpers were torn off by the force of the water and it is absolutely not the first car to have that happen. Driving slowly through a puddle that doesn't come up much above the door sill is probably okay, since most of the water will be pushed to the sides anyway. Deeper water or long stretches where you risk the car floating is a bad idea. Moving flood waters should be avoided at all costs, because you're risking your life.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy