Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to use to clean ultra white seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why don't people follow the official Tesla instructions? They only suggest rubbing alcohol, and it works perfectly.

From page 160:

Polyurethane Seats

Wipe spills as soon as possible using a soft cloth moistened with warm water and non-detergent soap. Wipe gently in a circular motion. For difficult stains on ultra-white seats, use isopropyl alcohol, then wipe with a damp cloth. After cleaning, allow the seats to air dry.

I have X with white seats. I have had the car since March (so about 6 months). I haven't cleaned my seats until today. Yeah, they certainly get discolored (blue jeans in my case). I took non scented baby wipes (I use Amazon basics for my 2 year old). They got the job done. Wiped for about 3 minutes and gets the blue color off. So I am vouching that the seats do pick up color but they are resistant in that they can be wiped off with only water and rubbing. The stitches do retain the color somewhat. I guess the resistance coating isn't on the stitching thread as much as its on the leather.

We've had our first ultra white S 100D since March 2017 - and the seats are still ultra white, using baby wipes for spot cleaning, and whenever we enter the car with damp or sweaty clothing, we use a couple of ultra white large towels draped over the seats to prevent transfer to the seats. And that's worked fine. Seats still look amazing!

Why don't people follow the official Tesla instructions? They only suggest rubbing alcohol, and it works perfectly.

From page 160:

Polyurethane Seats

Wipe spills as soon as possible using a soft cloth moistened with warm water and non-detergent soap. Wipe gently in a circular motion. For difficult stains on ultra-white seats, use isopropyl alcohol, then wipe with a damp cloth. After cleaning, allow the seats to air dry.
Because it doesn’t work