Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What TPMS sensors do I need for my "winter" rims? Mar 2013 build.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's probably a simple answer but my failure at the search bar is legendary. i picked up a set of 19" for winter tires but am unclear/stupid when it comes to TPMS sensors.

I am guessing only telsa sensors work, and only a specific gen for my car? It was originally a march of 2013 car, P06685.

Thanks for any help or insight, or simply to make me less unclear/stupids.

That answer is beyond my pay grade. If you don't get a response here, 2 or 3 large pizzas, a case of donuts or so forth, delivered to your local SvC, should get you the answer.

• Love
Reactions: Olds442
You can buy just a set of Gen 1 sensors, about $250ish from TireRack, and be good to go BUT I would consider updating the car to the Gen 2, call your service center and I think you will be surprised at how reasonable it is to get the car to display actual pressure, and warn you of which tire is low.
If your sensors on your other rims are original the batteries are likely near dead, lifespan is usually quoted as 3-4 years so you might be replacing them in 2018 as well. Downside is gen 2 you have to update tire positions when rotating.

IMO the gen 1 system is a joke I can't believe a "tech company" used it, other companies were using Gen 2 equivalent systems sooner on cars that cost a lot less.

I have an April 2013 Model S. The original sensors are gen 1, and they don't show individual pressures. I found that places like Discount Tire will try to sell you the sensors, but they actually only have gen 2 type in their inventory. Furthermore, it requires Tesla service (or somebody VERY well versed in Tesla) to actually initialize the gen 1 to the system, they don't come on merely by driving a few miles like most TPMS.

When I had my gen 1 start to fail several months ago (while in warranty) , Tesla initially put me off. The problem mostly appeared in cold weather (like now) and until late summer it wasn't a problem. In October the problem returned. I tried to use Discount Tire, and they installed the gen 2 which was incompatible. Tesla honored the fact that I had reported the problem while in warranty and agreed to replace the TPMS for me.

The replacement, was to upgrade ALL my wheels to gen 2, and add the gen 2 functionality to my computer. I now have the individual tire display for tire pressures.

So, if you see all 4 tires on your display, Tesla has already upgraded this to gen 2.

And you can go to a regular tire place to get new sensors.

• Helpful
Reactions: Olds442