Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What USB Drive works with WIFI Sharing of Tesla Cam Fat32 Partition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to buy a USB drive that I can use to access the Tesla Cam videos on my phone via WIFI using the USB drive's built-in WIFI share capability. I found the following but alas, the WIFI sharing features does not work with FAT32 partitions according to a review.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-200GB-Connect-Wireless-Stick/dp/B01N4TEVHA/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=WIFI+USB+Drive&qid=1553644802&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1

What's the best way to connect a USB drive for Tesla Cam use where I can easily access (playback and dave) the videos on my phone via WIFI?

Would something like this work if I stick it into a USB Memory Card Reader and plug that into the Tesla USB port?

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Flas...5065&s=gateway&sprefix=wifi+sd,aps,133&sr=8-3

Reactions: dgaultiere
That SanDisk will share a FAT32 partition. I have done it. But whether it will share one of the dually partitioned spaces I don't know

But don't you have to pull the SanDisk WIFI USB drive out and press a button before it will share the contents via WIFI? I'd like a solution where I can access the USB drive's Tasla Cam video files while it is still plugged in as I'm afraid pulling it out at the wrong time could inadvertently lead to data corruption.

I think with WiFi sharing on (which may be able to be default) you get read only access to that partition on the USB side, which would have been fine for music except now you have two partitions and the non music one the car expects to have write access. I doubt without access to the SanDisk firmware someone can make that work. Plus, the larger raspberry pi alternative size doesn't really matter since ideally the footage of someone breaking into your car is stored someplace less accessable than the USB port in the console - better to extend the cable somewhere else.

But don't you have to pull the SanDisk WIFI USB drive out and press a button before it will share the contents via WIFI? I'd like a solution where I can access the USB drive's Tasla Cam video files while it is still plugged in as I'm afraid pulling it out at the wrong time could inadvertently lead to data corruption.

is there no USB drive that syncs vi WIFI while i is plugged into a USB port and in use?

The RAVPower unit seems promising. Has anyone tried it?

I ended up going with the Verbatin WIFI drive that allows you to use your own SD card. It only allows either USB connected OR WIFI mode but that's something I can live with for now. In the car, I can just hit the WIFI switch and then access and manage all the files on the drive with my phone.

A flashair card will let you view footage (2 mins old) and record footage at the same time.

I'm thinking about getting a FlashAir card but a bit concerned about the 25% 1-Star reviews on Amazon. For the Dash Cam and Sentry, reliability is more important to me than convenience.

What's most disconcerting are customers are comparing about data loss and I specifically bought a high reliability storage card that is designed for DashCam use.

It's this one and I put it into a USB SDXC reader. This class of storage is specially designed to high temps and many read/write cycles.

Features:
Designed specifically for video monitoring cameras (dash cams, surveillance & security cams, CCTV, body cams, etc.)
Up to 43,800 hours of 4K and Full HD (1080p) recording and playback
Reliability Built to Last – Water-proof, Shock-proof, Temperature-proof, X-ray-proof, Magnetic-proof
Transfer speeds up to 100MB/s
5-year limited warranty

Reactions: rama2468
Has anyone found a solution that allows the USB to remain connected while providing Wi-Fi access to the video files. There was a solution to custom make a device using the Pi board but the instructions looked pretty tedious to the uninitiated.

Any commercially available devices at this point?

• Funny
Reactions: Somm