Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will I lose at 50,000 miles when warranty expires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
My Model 3 is up to 42,000 miles now, so later this year I'll be crossing the 50,000 mile mark, in just a bit over 2 years. What sort of warranty coverage do I lose, and what remains covered?

From what I understand, the motor, battery, and drivetrain electronics are good to 8 years unlimited miles, but what about other things like the big center screen, suspension parts, frunk actuators, steering system, other wiring and computers, charging system, and things like that?

My Model 3 is up to 42,000 miles now, so later this year I'll be crossing the 50,000 mile mark, in just a bit over 2 years. What sort of warranty coverage do I lose, and what remains covered?

From what I understand, the motor, battery, and drivetrain electronics are good to 8 years unlimited miles, but what about other things like the big center screen, suspension parts, frunk actuators, steering system, other wiring and computers, charging system, and things like that?
There is a warranty booklet in your glove compartment that covers everything

Not a fan of extended new car warranties. As a friend who is a big dog in the dealership world once kidded me: Extended car warranties are great ... for dealers. But as my decision point arrives in December, I am leaning towards buying one for my 12/2016 S. The big screen and MCU1 don’t have the greatest track record. Of course the cost of the warranty is around five large, so it’s a tough call. Sounds like you are passing on the added coverage?

Reactions: TomB985
Not a fan of extended new car warranties. As a friend who is a big dog in the dealership world once kidded me: Extended car warranties are great ... for dealers. But as my decision point arrives in December, I am leaning towards buying one for my 12/2016 S. The big screen and MCU1 don’t have the greatest track record. Of course the cost of the warranty is around five large, so it’s a tough call. Sounds like you are passing on the added coverage?

food for thought, you're paying $5000 warranty for 4 years on something that costs $1500(including labor from tesla) to replace out of warranty. your MCU would have to break at least 3 times to break even on your investment.

Tesla doesn't sell added coverage for the 3. At all.

There's one third party company that does- you can get a quote on their website-
X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

You can use code MJC4JI9375 to get $100 off

Extended warranties vary significantly. However, on expensive cars they can pay off. I bought a used BMW still under factory warranty. When the factory warranty was close to expiring, I went to the dealership and told him I wanted to buy the extended warranty that would be as close to the BMW factory warranty. I paid $3,700 for 4 additional years. That warranty has paid off more than double that amount. Turbo down pipe was $2,500, Nav/Media Screen went out and that was $3k. Few other minor items were repaired and a window regulator is going to get repaired for the next service. Out of pocket is $50 and we get a free loaner car and the dealer handles dealing with the warranty company (they just have to get approval for the repair so it sometimes extends the time in the shop by a day).

That being said, my parents have had some issues dealing with some warranties that required they pay and get reimbursed and fighting over an item being covered. I am sure the dealers make a killing as people do not hold the cars as long as they think and sell it and the warranty is not transferable or gets forgotten; forget about the warranty or in some cases the warranty company tries to resist paying.

Just do your research and read the fine print.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

With the bumper-to-bumper warranty expiring, none of the stuff in bold above is covered by warranty. My car just passed 55,000 miles.

With the bumper-to-bumper warranty expiring, none of the stuff in bold above is covered by warranty. My car just passed 55,000 miles.

The only real problem I have with the 4 year / 50K warranty expiring on my Model 3 is the lack of third party service options.
Not a fan of paying Tesla $175/hr for repairs out of warranty, even though they are very competent.

Reactions: alexucf

It's "Drive unit" not drive train.

Model 3 never was unlimited miles. Only S and X which recently change to 150,000 miles. Model 3 is 100,000 miles for SR and 120,000 for LR.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
anyone here use them?

or CarShield - USA's #1 Auto Protection Provider‎ - CarShield (they offer it for 2018 3s only not S,X)

I know I've seen at least one guy on here who used Xcare and had no issue with them covering some work he had done.

Searching around I found one guy in the S forum who had an issue with carshield (apparently they do or did cover the S at some point) where they would only pay $110/hr labor instead of Teslas $175/hr rate... he had to pay out of pocket then call them later and they did say he was right and send him a check after the fact.

Xcare was specifically designed to mirror Tesla coverage and they've been pretty responsive to folks on here who've had questions, so that's who I went with.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
easy - go to Tesla account and look at page 5 & 6 of the warranty doc
It's all in there, no guessing needed
[edit]
just read the last page - I hadn't noticed the corrosion part in there, not too shabby

Last edited:
Tesla doesn't sell added coverage for the 3. At all.

There's one third party company that does- you can get a quote on their website-
X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

You can use code MJC4JI9375 to get $100 off
I said the car that I was considering extended coverage for is a 2016 S. Didn’t notice that the original post was in a 3 forum as I picked up the thread looking at new threads created. I probably wouldn’t buy one for my 3 anyway as I, rightly or wrongly, believe the newer car is likely to be less problematic.

Don't ever buy extended warranties. They make money for the companies selling them, which means you will statistically lose money buying them... otherwise they wouldn't be selling them.

Also don't buy insurance for your car or home- or health insurance or life insurance either... statistically you will lose money buying them...otherwise they wouldn't be selling them.

Seriously though- that's exactly what an extended warranty is. It's an insurance policy.

You are paying a fee (the margin on the policy) in order to manage your risk and have known, fixed, costs for some period of time.

Obviously it's up to each person to decide if that fee is worth paying- and it's good to recognize there IS one... but the blanket suggestion "They're only selling it to make money so don't buy it" is....pretty silly.