Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Will I Need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I have not received my Model S 75 yet which I take delivery on at some point in Dec......Having said that, what setup is optimal for home charging?

I understand that a 220V is basically mandatory. Other than that, is there some type of home charger you would purchase that makes recharging any faster?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Christian

Hello All,

I have not received my Model S 75 yet which I take delivery on at some point in Dec......Having said that, what setup is optimal for home charging?

I understand that a 220V is basically mandatory. Other than that, is there some type of home charger you would purchase that makes recharging any faster?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Christian
Lots of threads here on the topic. Start with this -

FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&

Or this from today -
High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) vs NEMA 14-50 Direct Plug

How many miles do you drive per day and are there any special considerations? Like time of use plan with a small tube window for low cost electric?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Lots of threads here on the topic. Start with this -

FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&

Or this from today -
High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) vs NEMA 14-50 Direct Plug

How many miles do you drive per day and are there any special considerations? Like time of use plan with a small tube window for low cost electric?

I should be driving somewhere between 15K and 17k miles per year. Very rarely going past the capacity of the battery in any given day.
What exactly do you mean by tube window for low cost electric?

I should be driving somewhere between 15K and 17k miles per year. Very rarely going past the capacity of the battery in any given day.
What exactly do you mean by tube window for low cost electric?
Spelling corrector got me :)

“Time” window for low cost electricity.

Some utilities have time of use plans that charge less during certain periods of the day. If you have that AND it’s short... you would need faster charging.

In general, a 14-50 outlet is the most cost effective. It will charge you overnight and the adapter is included with the car.

Reactions: rw99
I have dual Chargers and installed the hundred amp hpwc. I really do like it, but it's really a special circumstance to make it worth it for you. Some doctors who are on-call get it just simply to make sure they always have enough charge. They always charge as soon as I get home and don't care about the money or time savings for night charging. In our case our utility doesn't even offer that, so it didn't make any difference.

Also our utility has a $500 rebate on any charger system for electric cars. Since that's how much the HPWC costs it was a no-brainer.

I have dual Chargers and installed the hundred amp hpwc. I really do like it, but it's really a special circumstance to make it worth it for you. Some doctors who are on-call get it just simply to make sure they always have enough charge. They always charge as soon as I get home and don't care about the money or time savings for night charging. In our case our utility doesn't even offer that, so it didn't make any difference.

Also our utility has a $500 rebate on any charger system for electric cars. Since that's how much the HPWC costs it was a no-brainer.

That is interesting. I still have not asked the utility company about the difference in cost.
I order a 75D and it doesn't appear that there is a huge difference in the mileage per hour of charge with the HPWC.
That said, I may get it bc it looks clean. Thanks again!

Don't rule out 110 charging. While staying at our Apartment away from our Houston home, we do quite well on only 110.
tesla fi has broken apart some of the data but to date we're looking at over 620kWh from 110v

Using a 10/3 12ft drop cord from the overhead to the charger. 3.5 to 4 miles per hour. Not a lot but I find stopping the charge at times to keep the battery below 75pct through the week.

apartment.JPG 20170911_221713.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus