Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would be a ok winter tires for who have 20” summer tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to get a winter set as I want to be able to hit snow in the mountains occasionally. What would be a good budget winter tire wheels for M3P+ LR?

Would the summer tires work well with chains? Tesla shop sells one for $290!!! That’s 6x average price... looks easier to setup. Hate the hassle to stop and get stuck to install chains. That might be the cheaper solution vs getting another set of wheels/tires, though.

Appreciate some opinions from snow freaks.

Thanks

IMO, Hakkapolitas are the best tire for driving on actual snow with accumulation of a few inches or more. Not a budget tire per se, but great performance in the snow. If you wanted a more affordable winter tire (better all around winter performance, but not specialized for snow), I suggest Micheline X-ice. Good budget tire for good general winter performance. Pirelli SottoZeros are performance tires for the winter.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA
If you only are in snow occasionally and want more of a “winter” as opposed to “snow” tire, the Michelin A/S 3+ is a great option. I have had them on my stock 20” wheels for the past three weeks and am really liking them. I have an M3P.

Nice, so you used all the summer tire and replaced with this 1? there is another version 3+ ZP, do you know the difference?

I think just easier to get a an all season tire setup... and carry chains just in case. Which chains you guys have used for EV cars? Tesla one looks fancy with fancy price $290, if it's easier to install might be worth it.