Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
let's not forget that the S had problems with the screen freezing, you won't want that happening to you in a 3 while using AP on the freeway, personally I won't feel safe.
I've had to simultaneously reboot both screens in my S while driving before and it's nothing more than a minor inconvenience. If you reboot both while using AP1, Autosteer alerts you to take over, TACC continues to function, and everything is fine.

As a side note, the speedometer is a compliance instrument, not a safety instrument.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
I'm perfectly fine with the minimalist interior, but the hovering screen bothers me, a lot. I'm also, very skeptical of the single screen for all data output/input.

The way I see it, if you don't get autonomy driving you get half a car, if the screen freezes/breaks/gets stolen (this is probably going to happen to some unlucky few) you are driving without speedometer, radio controls, AP controls, and just about every other control that isn't a steering wheel or the pedal. I honestly don't think having a single screen controlling almost all aspects of the car functionality is a good ide; let's not forget that the S had problems with the screen freezing, you won't want that happening to you in a 3 while using AP on the freeway, personally I won't feel safe.

Well, if you have a tablet or smartphone you pretty much have all data input/output through one display.

Speedometer is helping with driving, doesn't actually have any meaningful point except if want to drive on the edge of the speed limit. Everybody can feel the difference between 30mph and 50mph. Or 50mph and 70mph. If one doesn't, one shouldn't drive.

If one needs radio control to drive the vehicle, then it's a mental problem. Use smartphone and headphones as a backup.
If you need AP to drive the car, then you don't actually have driving license (plausible in future, not now).

Point is when your central display is broken, or engine, or motor, or your current vehicle's speedo, you don't just ignore that and drive for weeks. You fix it ASAP. And having radio controls available while your Model S Speedo LCD has been smashed, doesn't actually help with speed monitoring. Having Model S's main display smashed and having speedo fully functional doesn't actually help with seat heater controls.
Philosophy is actually the other way around: one device for everything means minimal amount of stuff to go wrong. And having
it out of the dash might mean replacing it (if something goes wrong) might take less than 10 minutes.

And actually, AP and radio can be controlled with steering wheel buttons/stalks: no need to have any visual feedback.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
Well, if you have a tablet or smartphone you pretty much have all data input/output through one display.

Speedometer is helping with driving, doesn't actually have any meaningful point except if want to drive on the edge of the speed limit. Everybody can feel the difference between 30mph and 50mph. Or 50mph and 70mph. If one doesn't, one shouldn't drive.

If one needs radio control to drive the vehicle, then it's a mental problem. Use smartphone and headphones as a backup.
If you need AP to drive the car, then you don't actually have driving license (plausible in future, not now).

Point is when your central display is broken, or engine, or motor, or your current vehicle's speedo, you don't just ignore that and drive for weeks. You fix it ASAP. And having radio controls available while your Model S Speedo LCD has been smashed, doesn't actually help with speed monitoring. Having Model S's main display smashed and having speedo fully functional doesn't actually help with seat heater controls.
Philosophy is actually the other way around: one device for everything means minimal amount of stuff to go wrong. And having
it out of the dash might mean replacing it (if something goes wrong) might take less than 10 minutes.

And actually, AP and radio can be controlled with steering wheel buttons/stalks: no need to have any visual feedback.

Good thing we are in North America. In France and Spain, speeding tolerance is between 3 to 5%. Sister got some in the mail.

Might have to get used to Waze because Google Navigation doesn't display speed.

I think it is hard to tell driving 5 or 10 miles over the speed limit and that could make a difference when it comes to law enforcement tolerances.

I have not seen the whole instrument cluster going kaput on our Honda's or Toyota and I am sure most indicators are independent of each other. Speed and malfunction indicator are probably the most important to me. Even cruise control is based on speed but i guess we can drive on the slower lanes. Issue is the wait time for repairs and having tons of cars on the road won't make it easier to get a booking.

You are right though, lack of displays won't be a deal breaker for me. What will make me cancel is unreliability and costs of repair if the S is any indicator.

Hopefully people on TMC who gets a 3 early will be forthcoming with defects especially major ones.

I have not seen the whole instrument cluster going kaput on our Honda's or Toyota and I am sure most indicators are independent of each other. Speed and malfunction indicator are probably the most important to me.
The instrument cluster on my 2001 Prius (which displays speed, gear setting, mileage, and fuel level) went blank after about a year and half of ownership. Toyota replaced the panel and circuit board and it's been fine ever since (15+ years).

• Helpful
I agree, most people can tell the difference in speeds, unfortunately as far as I know, it's illegal in the US to drive a car without a speedometer, which is my concern if something were to happen to the single display that pretty much controls everything. Sure, it's very unlikely that the main display would just die on you or get stolen, but if anything were to occur to it and it was rendered useless, what would happen? Will the driver risk a traffic infraction due to lack of a working speedometer or will the car detect damage to the main screen and lock all controls to ensure safety?

I really want to know how Tesla plans to deals with this unlikely scenarios, which could be possible with a growing vehicle fleet of half a million within the next 2 years. Hopefully, the final reveal will answer many questions and put several fears to rest.

• Helpful

So that's why all governments around the world trashed their speed cameras. I am pretty sure you can't feel the difference between 50 and 60mph always and everywhere. You might on a road you know very well, but not anywhere and always. Speed is actually something you can't feel, but only something you can see. And vision can be deceiving.

On a straight open road, your perceived speed is a lot lower than on a twisting backroad. Because the only thing you can feel is acceleration . Speed can only be estimated, based on other objects passing by and if there is nothing passing by, you can't know how fast you are. All of us are traveling at about 67,000 mph right now, but we really can't feel it happening, we only notice the changing of seasons and it still took us quite some time to find out that we were actually the ones moving.

I was driving in the left lane a week or so ago and hit a stretch of straight road that was fairly crowded but where everyone (in all lanes) was suddenly driving the same speed.

In other words, I was standing still relative to everyone else. My car is fairly quiet and has a smooth ride. I would have guessed I was doing 55-60. I looked down and the spedometer read 80MPH -- a very weird and disorienting feeling. Your perception of speed and motion is relative to the objects (and other cues) around you.

I don't know about this. I used to drive around a beat Chevy pickup and the driver displays would randomly crap out. It's a little scary driving blind and when navigating back roads and highways; you lose track of what speed "feels" like and I'd imagine most people would be a terrible judge of speed. I mean, that's why we have speedometers in the first place, right?

A blanket statement like "you don't need a speedometer because you should know how fast you're going" is patently ridiculous.

I dunno man, your argument is a lot of "if it breaks, use your phone as backup". Point is, it shouldn't break. Nobody who drives a car ever thinks about these displays and readouts breaking. It just doesn't happen. The fact that this is now a concern in the car of the future is concerning in itself. And telling people to suck it up and deal with failure by pulling out your tiny smartphone and fidgeting with apps to restore functionality while hurtling down the highway at 70mph is even more absurd. What if I don't have a smartphone? Flip phones are still a thing. My car should be more reliable than my damn phone.

Most people never expect to have to fix or replace their dash controls. It really doesn't happen that often. Most people will never experience this in the life of their car. Are you suggesting Tesla is anticipating egregious screen failure and is making it easy to repair? It's not just the ease of repair, it's the time out of your day. The drive, the waiting, the hassle. Nobody wants to do that, no matter how quick the repair is.

And one can argue that having the screen on a stalk will make it easier to break in addition to being easy to repair. A well-designed control panel should never break in the life of the car and now you're giving it another failure point in your quest to make something that should never break more easy to repair. It doesn't make sense.

RE: your philosophy: sure, fewer moving parts means less chance of things going wrong, but when you reduce your moving parts to 1, any failure is catastrophic failure. If my Model S center screen breaks, at least I have a second screen to retain vital driving information until I can schedule the repair. If my single Model 3 screen breaks, well butter my biscuit and call me toast, I'm SOL and driving blind. I wonder if the car will even let you drive if it detects the screen is dead?

It's not just the ease of repair, it's the time out of your day. The drive, the waiting, the hassle. Nobody wants to do that, no matter how quick the repair is.
Tesla is also dealing with that. Tesla ranger service is growing a lot.

sure, fewer moving parts means less chance of things going wrong, but when you reduce your moving parts to 1, any failure is catastrophic failure. If my Model S center screen breaks, at least I have a second screen to retain vital driving information
What vital driving information? I think you are slightly over-optimistic about redundancy. There is nothing vital for driving.

People are going way too lazy and paranoid. Not long ago vehicles were like that:
86GL-27.jpg

Please look at the picture and tell my about vital things dash shows.

The one thing that is very important on your Model S actually has a button, right next to the screen.

And my previous post was slightly sarcastic as I was replying to already way to surreal situation.

I don't know about this. I used to drive around a beat Chevy pickup and the driver displays would randomly crap out. It's a little scary driving blind and when navigating back roads and highways; you lose track of what speed "feels" like and I'd imagine most people would be a terrible judge of speed. I mean, that's why we have speedometers in the first place, right?

No. Speedo is for legal reason. You will be fined if you speed. But if you say something like "my car doesn't have a speedo and I was estimating incorrectly" is reasonable excuse.
If one is scared to drive, one should reduce speed. If one is uncomfortable to keep up with traffic, one is not fit for driving.

Research says that up to speed of 90km/h people are good at guessing vehicle speed.

I apologize for not having read about 99% of the answers to the OP's question, but here is my 2 cents:

I have waited for the Model 3 for years.
I reserved on day 1.
I have by now seen as much of the exterior and interior I need to know. Even if some small changes between the RCs and the final product might be in store, they won't change my overall perception of the car.
With all this in mind, I still have my reservation and will stick to it.

What would make me cancel?
Now that even my wife (who has been a Tesla sceptic for years - to put it mildly) is kind of looking forward to me getting it, nothing!

No. Speedo is for legal reason. You will be fined if you speed. But if you say something like "my car doesn't have a speedo and I was estimating incorrectly" is reasonable excuse.
If one is scared to drive, one should reduce speed. If one is uncomfortable to keep up with traffic, one is not fit for driving.

Research says that up to speed of 90km/h people are good at guessing vehicle speed.

Why does this make me smile because it reminds me of this:

;)

• Funny
Reactions: rlang59 and arnis

Research says no to that. At least not in all situations. When people are distracted, road width is different, there are walls to the side of the road, or other things like that. People get rather bad at estimating their own speed.

The mean free speed of vehicles in the control condition was 55.60 kph, with drivers’ estimates being 56.37 kph. When children were playing with a ball the measured speed was 54.29 kph and the estimated speed 39.27 kph. When children were waiting to cross the measured speed was 52.78 kph, estimated speed 34.02 kph. Analyses indicated that there were significant differences between measured and estimated speeds.

-N Harré Injury Prevention 2003;9:38–41

And there are many more articles about how bad people are with estimating speeds, in certain conditions. A speedometer is necessary.

To all that still aren't convinced, just imagine the stupid government/bailout motors Dolt came with no clearly visible speedometer, maybe you'd come to a different conclusion then. And if you still think you don't need a speedometer, try driving one day with a piece of paper over yours, you'll find out that the speedometer was a pretty clever invention.

I'll likely cancel my reservation soon-ish, so I know the answer to the question in the thread. Buying a Model X would get me to cancel my Model 3. :)

And if anyone is wondering why I would go for a Model X over a Model 3, I can mention a few reasons:

- With my TSLA shares storming ahead, I could finally afford it.
- My wife thinks the Model 3 is ugly - she likes SUVs better.
- Size and carrying capacity.
- Availability.

Regarding speedometer - it's clearly still needed. If the center screen of the Model 3 were to break or get stolen, the car is likely disabled. Maybe it could still drive, but the best course of action would be to get it replaced and get a loaner/rental in the mean time. I strongly doubt it will be a common occurence, though.