Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the grille better than the funny nose cone on my MS. It's a design element, I don't get the rabid oppositions to grilles.
Grilles that do something and are needed are fine. I dislike grilles when they're applied to a car that has no need for grilles (or ICE-sized grilles) just for the sake of looking "familiar." Kind of like hanging coconuts from the back of your Model T to make the clip clop clip of horses.
In airplanes, cooling drag losses through the engine compartment are huge, and so careful shaping and sizing of air inlets is essential for max performance. Much less of a deal at car speeds, but still, why heap drag onto a slick design just because Detroit (and even worse, Toyota) use them for fashion, not function?
Robin

Grilles that do something and are needed are fine. I dislike grilles when they're applied to a car that has no need for grilles (or ICE-sized grilles) just for the sake of looking "familiar." Kind of like hanging coconuts from the back of your Model T to make the clip clop clip of horses.
In airplanes, cooling drag losses through the engine compartment are huge, and so careful shaping and sizing of air inlets is essential for max performance. Much less of a deal at car speeds, but still, why heap drag onto a slick design just because Detroit (and even worse, Toyota) use them for fashion, not function?
Robin

I always get a kick when the designers deliberately make 'faces' on cars, but still get the job done. This nose design has enough airflow to handle a large intercooler, large radiator (638HP), manual trans cooler, oil cooler, massive brakes, but still looks it wants to be your friend when you approach.
SatanAutoXmedium.jpg

I love the higher profile of our Ford Escape- super easy to get in and out of (especially with recent leg injuries) and I like bring a bit " higher" than other vehicles on the road - so have resigned myself to the fact that I will need to get used to the Model 3 and driving a lower sedan type car again. But keeping the Escape so on days my back & legs might want a taller, easy entry vehicle it is available...getting older is not for sissies!

Reactions: internalaudit
I would cancel my reservation if:
  1. Elon leaves Tesla.
  2. Over 10% of earlier ordered 3s start spontaneously combusting.
  3. End of days is coming within a year.
  4. All EVs are banded by the government.
  5. My wife suddenly files for divorce and takes all my money.
  6. Google comes out with an EV with full autonomy, 300+ mile range, for under $30K.
  7. I come into big $$$ and order a Model X.
  8. Go blind and no longer able to drive.
  9. Just remembered that the reservation is for my wife, so if she suddenly files for divorce then f her and her reservation!
  10. EMP bomb goes off and it'll take years for my house to get power back on.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn and arnis
Good to know there are a lot of Tesla car fans here. I don't mind a minimalist interior. I just don't want expensive repair bills after the warranty expires. Hopefully the mechanical components are not going to be difficult fixes (over-engineered like some German cars are).

Hopefully the drive train unit and battery will also have an eight-year warranty, just like in the S and X.

Reactions: arnis
I would cancel my reservation if:
  1. Elon leaves Tesla.
  2. Over 10% of earlier ordered 3s start spontaneously combusting.
  3. End of days is coming within a year.
  4. All EVs are banded by the government.
  5. My wife suddenly files for divorce and takes all my money.
  6. Google comes out with an EV with full autonomy, 300+ mile range, for under $30K.
  7. I come into big $$$ and order a Model X.
  8. Go blind and no longer able to drive.
  9. Just remembered that the reservation is for my wife, so if she suddenly files for divorce then f her and her reservation!
  10. EMP bomb goes off and it'll take years for my house to get power back on.
Maybe #8 won't be a problem if the software and gov't regs go the right way! :)

Reactions: fallen888
"What would make you cancel your Model 3 Reservation?"

An announcement that the Model Y will be out in 2019. ;)
I am seriously thinking of waiting now for the Y. Last week I did not have a boat. This week I do :D And no car with a hitch.
My needs/wants are changing and the more I look at the 3 the smaller it is to me. :(
My next Tesla may be a crossover with a tow hitch. Maybe.
I have the right to change my mind again :p
I would like the 3 as a second car and give my wife the option of which one she wants daily. ;)

I'm pretty sure I'm cancelling mine because of how the interior looks. I was hoping the "iPad on a stick" was just a concept, but with that actually being how it looks and not truly integrated into the dash, I'll be cancelling. For that cheap look I'll literally mount an iPad on a stick in my current car and save 35K.

I'm perfectly fine with the minimalist interior, but the hovering screen bothers me, a lot. I'm also, very skeptical of the single screen for all data output/input.

The way I see it, if you don't get autonomy driving you get half a car, if the screen freezes/breaks/gets stolen (this is probably going to happen to some unlucky few) you are driving without speedometer, radio controls, AP controls, and just about every other control that isn't a steering wheel or the pedal. I honestly don't think having a single screen controlling almost all aspects of the car functionality is a good ide; let's not forget that the S had problems with the screen freezing, you won't want that happening to you in a 3 while using AP on the freeway, personally I won't feel safe.

I'm perfectly fine with the minimalist interior, but the hovering screen bothers me, a lot. I'm also, very skeptical of the single screen for all data output/input.

The way I see it, if you don't get autonomy driving you get half a car, if the screen freezes/breaks/gets stolen (this is probably going to happen to some unlucky few) you are driving without speedometer, radio controls, AP controls, and just about every other control that isn't a steering wheel or the pedal. I honestly don't think having a single screen controlling almost all aspects of the car functionality is a good ide; let's not forget that the S had problems with the screen freezing, you won't want that happening to you in a 3 while using AP on the freeway, personally I won't feel safe.

I think you made an excellent point. If someone doesn't purchase FSD, which admittedly the design is intended for use with, then your really getting the short end of the stick. Not everyone will want FSD but the design really requires it. In addition, if pricing doesn't decrease on enhanced AP or FSD your looking at a $43000 car and you haven't even begun to add on the other options! To me the base model 3 price is the 35k + whatever price they put on FSD when they start delivering the 3, I can't imagine getting anything less on the car. The 3 is more affordable than the S but is definitely not going to be cheap.

• Helpful