Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you add to your Tesla M3/MY screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ability to keep a small (and size/location adjustable) rear camera image up while driving.
What would you use this for? Some sort of blind spot monitoring?
I’d like the odometer reading to be readily available.
I agree lol. I think this may be a weird carryover from ICE vehicles. Why does this information need to be readily accessible?
Consistency.

It's just nonsensical to have:
- Homelink and dashcam in the top right with dropdown menus
- Tire pressure and odometer in the bottom left with hidden side-swipe menus
- Trunk in the oversized cartoon space while glovebox is oddly askew in the main menu
Homelink and dashcam aren't use regularly enough to warrant activation through a bottom tab, imo. It is the same with sentry mode. These systems are typically running in the background and don't need to be accessed very often. Kind of like background processes on a PC in the bottom right.
I do agree with the tire pressure and odometer. Especially the odometer as its hard to view the information in that small box. Where do you think the information would fit in better?
The 3D figure only operates exterior openings. I think it would be weird to add the glovebox to that area. Its kind of its own little thing that they just had to throw somewhere.

• Do usability tests with a range of drivers before releasing UI changes.
  • Fix the display readability (better info contrast, size, stroke width). Shrink/hide the car's digital twin (the cartoon car) when using sentry cam viewer and backup cam, not to mention the Map.
  • Show both battery % and estimated range.
  • Able to set a goal temperature range.
  • Add a higher setting for 1-pedal slowing. Decelerate consistently no matter the battery SoC.
  • Larger tap targets (or add touch screen gestures) so I don't veer into the next lane while picking a song from USB, adjusting the fan & temp, or changing recirculation.
  • Display the bluetooth podcast list and let me pick from it without touching the phone.
  • Voice commands that even a command line programmer can understand and remember, e.g. "Enable recirculation", "Recirculation on", et al paired with "Disable recirculation", "Recirculation off", ... rather than all of those turning recirculation on. (Am I supposed to say the goal state or the change action?)
  • Display a list of voice commands.
  • Reliable voice commands. And if a voice command fails because it can't contact the server, say so, so we don't rule it out as possible command.
  • Voice feedback from voice commands and a few get-information commands like "How long to the destination" (that, too, is in tiny text).
  • Able to cancel a voice command, e.g. if it picks up a passenger's speech when I go to use it.
  • An undo voice command after it got it wrong.
  • No extra side effects to voice commands, e.g. "Turn on air conditioning" shouldn't also turn on Auto mode, and "Turn off air conditioning" shouldn't also turn off all climate controls.
  • Voice commands for basic audio functions like "play USB", "play FM", and "play text message" in preference for finding some random thing on the internet.
  • Able to rapidly scrub through sentry cam playback, also 2x playback.
  • Nav: Show the destination name, esp. when it's from the calendar or share-with-Tesla.
  • Adjust the digital twin to show more of traffic behind and in the blind spots.
  • 360° view around the car when parking.
  • Waypoints.

Last edited:
If you could talk to a Tesla software engineer, what would you recommend to add/remove to the system?
I'd like the "stick" to use fore and aft to provide SET and RESUME for Cruise.

In the UK, few roads are continuously safe at the legal speed limit, so one has to roll the wheel constantly. Rolling is also necessary for the many temporary speed limits.
It would be nice to be able to set Cruise to the actual limit, and Resume after doing something that un-sets it, such as braking for a tight corner.

The facility to have "down" set to current speed doesn't help at all, as there's no way to Resume at that speed. The default behavior of setting to speed limit is best -- it's just not sufficient on its own.

Reactions: mikeyg_ev
Please flip the audio source selection row to the top of the audio section so I can just have the audio source part showing with map up above it. I don't need to see the favorites because I can switch between them with the wheel controls. I have to press the screen for the audio source selection though. The favorites waste too much space anyways.

Also lets get some time activated HVAC settings. I want it warmer in the morning than the afternoon. Having it be at 69 in the morning and 65 in the afternoon would be rad.

Reactions: Transformer
Please flip the audio source selection row to the top of the audio section so I can just have the audio source part showing with map up above it. I don't need to see the favorites because I can switch between them with the wheel controls. I have to press the screen for the audio source selection though. The favorites waste too much space anyways.

Also lets get some time activated HVAC settings. I want it warmer in the morning than the afternoon. Having it be at 69 in the morning and 65 in the afternoon would be rad.

this isnt a problem of time selection, the car just needs to change its fan algorithm depending on outside and inside temperature. Usual formula is inside (desired temp) + outside temp = actual temp. Which then needs to be modified to meet the desired temp.

I.e. standard 22C inside 25C outside = 23.5 but 22C inside 35C outside = 28.5C.

so the car should really take the outside temp into account.

Reactions: Transformer
  • Carefully word the alerts. "Vehicle shutting down. Pull over safely" followed by "Rear motor disabled - OK to drive" is not clear enough at 60 MPH.
  • To review Alerts later, why is the button called "Notifications"?
  • Process car control voice commands in-car. When I turn onto a street that's -- surprise -- down to one lane and dusty road construction, the car should handle a command to turn on recirculation without a delay or failure to contact a server. Server use is fine for finding nav destinations.

Reactions: BigNick
120% full size Gps or ability to minimize the autopilot/fsd screen with a useless image of a toy car. I don’t need to see my car coming up to a light nor the cars in adjacent lanes…let the. Sr see all this in the background.

taking up 6” of valuable screen space and leaving only 9” for Navi/music to me is absurd.

has anyone ever thought about a larger aftermarket touch screen for Model 3/Y? Ie. 19-20”? Surprised someone hasn’t retrofitted a high res screen yet.

120% full size Gps or ability to minimize the autopilot/fsd screen with a useless image of a toy car. I don’t need to see my car coming up to a light nor the cars in adjacent lanes…let the. Sr see all this in the background.

taking up 6” of valuable screen space and leaving only 9” for Navi/music to me is absurd.

has anyone ever thought about a larger aftermarket touch screen for Model 3/Y? Ie. 19-20”? Surprised someone hasn’t retrofitted a high res screen yet.

someone tried to mount a plaid screen in the model 3. the connector is compatible but it still does not work - the plaid has a second connector which the model 3 does not and there is a suspicion that the screen does not turn on due to this plug not being connected.

I agree on the AP. For standard AP really 10-20% of the screen estate is enough. All you need to see is the road, curvature and the car in front. Sidecars almost dont matter.

glkol62qc7861.png

I really think the Cybertruck view is needed where the map gets fused with the AP view...
There was a nice post where someone redesigned the AP window to 4 designs which can be chosen and leave more screen estate for the rest. That would be a nice temporary solution:
I'd prefer something like this where I can have i.e. music and maps up at the same time.
9e690578928361.5cb3ad69a6ebb.png