Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you add to your Tesla M3/MY screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love incremental safety improvements such as features where the car is vigilant as with lane-keeping assistance. Examples:
  • Alert or move the car (even when Autopilot is off) to avoid a collision such as if a driver races up into the blind spot while changing lanes or a deer jumps into the road.
  • Wake a driver who starts to nod off.
  • Use the radar to avoid collisions in sudden fog conditions.
  • Notify the driver about frozen road surfaces.

Bigger print on everything, and larger tap targets for the ridiculously tiny icons across the top of the screen. I'm driving a car, not reading a book. I need to be able to quickly find or read whatever it is on the screen that's demanding my attention without being distracted by overly small print or fiddly tiny tap targets for something I might need.

1. Bigger map area, like before, shrink the useless Toy Car section
2. Bigger recirculation display/option to adjust font sizes
3. Cabin temp display on screen (why only on the phone app?)
4. Make positions of bottom icons user adjustable: seat heaters, back-up camera, other less frequently functions crowd out high viewing space
5. Single screen tap to return from any menu to nav screen, rather than fiddling with your finger for the exact location of the swipe bar while driving
6. Simpler temp/ac/fan operqtion and access. Too many non-intuitive steps to set or change climate
7. On heat pump versions: reactivate automatic passenger side venting, rather than having to manually activate every time I start the car

Reactions: Transformer
6. Simpler temp/ac/fan operqtion and access. Too many non-intuitive steps to set or change climate
To start with, put a numerical badge on the fan icon showing the fan speed
Second, make the fan icon color tell you if you have the heat on (red) or the A/C on (blue) or fan only (as it is now)
When the temp slider shows up make it easy to pick the min and max with a button
Put a small u-turn arrow on the fan icon when in recirc so you don't have to go to the bigger display just to check this

---------

a. Fix the Bluetooth-phone setup. Most of the time (every time?) I get a new OTA update I have to reconnect my phone.
I always find out when I get a call or text that doesn't go to the car a day or two later.
Alternatively...add an option to have the car tell you that your device is connected every time you start the car or every time a new SW update has been installed

b. Fix the font sizes to make sense (they are too small). I know, I know Tesla is not going to do this because we've been complaining about it for years now.
Oh wait, maybe the UI designers are getting old enough to understand how your eyes age by now.
If that isn't good enough...maybe use AI to figure out the best font size

Another thing I'd add to my Model 3 screen:

elipses cutoff.jpg

Show the entire title! Pete who??? The most important info on the audio display is cut off with an ellipsis. Why? There's plenty of room.

In fact, the bulk of this audio control panel view is irrelevant and misleading -- it looks like it's playing Radio but it subtly switched from Radio to TuneIn when I clicked the scroll-wheel button left once past the first Favorite.

The list of radio stations usually fails to scroll to keep the selection on screen, so the lack of a visible selection doesn't reveal that it switched from Radio to TuneIn.

To start with, put a numerical badge on the fan icon showing the fan speed
Second, make the fan icon color tell you if you have the heat on (red) or the A/C on (blue) or fan only (as it is now)
When the temp slider shows up make it easy to pick the min and max with a button
Put a small u-turn arrow on the fan icon when in recirc so you don't have to go to the bigger display just to check this

The A/C and the heater are almost always on together and work in conjunction (with the exception of driving in 40 degree heat perhaps). You may notice that its called air conditioning not air cooling (and heating).

Larger touch targets are critical, IMHO. I feel like I'm going to veer off the road when choosing music.

you dont even need bigger icons, just better programming.

Theres no reason i.e. tapping the album cover doesnt bring up the track view. And no reason you cant juse be off by +- a cm while dragging the tracktime bar forward and backwards.

The gui unfortunatey was designed by the a 9 year old and tesla doesnt seem to have any intentions to pay a proper designer 1000 bucks for him to optimize it and make it useful.

I have the bizarre feeling that Tesla wants their FSD to work properly and then release V11 as the cybertruck gui..........
So we might be stuck with the stupid holiday update for 2-3 more years.

1) Range and % battery both displayed together Add Kw left.
2) Telephone icon
3) keep the alert symbol on the top so can get to alerts after alert so grey when not active and yellow, red when alert.
4) Cruse speed to pause and resume with stick down. The set speed can go green for paused.
5) use of right thumb wheel to right press cruse resume
6) use of right thumb wheel to left press to bring up last 10 or preset 10 options and use up down and and left press to select the item.
7) A smaller trip/ odo showing trip time, distance, Kw used and mile/Kw
8) units to be in miles / Kw. We charge in Kw and pay in Kw and distance miles.... like petrol
9) UK sat nav need yards not feet and sensor distance as cm not inches we are a bit more SI not 100% imperial.
10) larger text on top