Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you add to your Tesla M3/MY screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vent mode for the climate controls, changes the button display in the climate controls so you have a slider for vent speed and an Auto Vent setting where the fan speed is controlled by the cabin temp w/o turning on heat or AC. If the outside air is getting the car too cold or too hot take the fan to zero but don't turn on heat or AC while the vent button is on. Even if the windows could fog, leave the settings to the driver, maybe prompt to turn climate on if windows dangerously fog.

Plugshare integration would allow those of us with CHAdeMO and CCS adapters to navigate to more chargers including free ones all over the West Coast. Not sure where the list Maps currently shows is from and no corrections can be made like they can on Plugshare.

Why do so many people feel compelled to mess with the A/C? Who cares if it's on/off/heating/cooling? It's not like it's using a bunch of gas.
Just tell it what temperature you want and let it do its thing.

You guys know this thing is efficient, right? If the outside air temp is close to perfect and you have the control on "Auto" it will use almost no energy. That's what it does. It doesn't just senselessly grind away wasting energy like an old Buick. The energy it consumes is almost entirely based on the temperature change. The electric heater in older models is a partial exception of course, but I don't think that's what people are referring to.

Why do so many people feel compelled to mess with the A/C? Who cares if it's on/off/heating/cooling? It's not like it's using a bunch of gas.
Just tell it what temperature you want and let it do its thing.

You guys know this thing is efficient, right? If the outside air temp is close to perfect and you have the control on "Auto" it will use almost no energy. That's what it does. It doesn't just senselessly grind away wasting energy like an old Buick. The energy it consumes is almost entirely based on the temperature change. The electric heater in older models is a partial exception of course, but I don't think that's what people are referring to.
The havac system is very inefficient on older cars.

Yes, pre-2021 models have a 100% efficient heater, which is not great. But even in that case the power consumption is tied to the temperature change. So if you have one of those inefficient cars and you want it 1 degree warmer, it'll use basically zero power.

But the older models still have a very efficient A/C compressor, so again if you want it 1 degree cooler it'll use basically zero extra power compared to just running the fan.

And if you have it in "Auto" and the temperature outside is just right, it'll absolutely use zero power.

Basically, unlike a fossil car that constantly spews hot exhaust whether it's doing something useful or not, an EV only uses the power it needs. So if nothing is getting hot/cold, it's not using power.

Yes, pre-2021 models have a 100% efficient heater, which is not great. But even in that case the power consumption is tied to the temperature change. So if you have one of those inefficient cars and you want it 1 degree warmer, it'll use basically zero power.

But the older models still have a very efficient A/C compressor, so again if you want it 1 degree cooler it'll use basically zero extra power compared to just running the fan.

And if you have it in "Auto" and the temperature outside is just right, it'll absolutely use zero power.

Basically, unlike a fossil car that constantly spews hot exhaust whether it's doing something useful or not, an EV only uses the power it needs. So if nothing is getting hot/cold, it's not using power.

Not sure what your point is.

Where is this documented? Or are you expressing the way you THINK it works? Especially the bit about Basically Zero Power

@Randy Spencer Other than a small amount of waste heat from the heat pump motor, almost all of the energy consumed by the system applies directly to the temperature change with an efficiency of around 300%. That's just how heat pumps work. So for 1 Watt of electrical consumption you get about 3 Watts of cabin air heating/cooling. There are no significant overhead losses - power consumption is almost entirely based on the temperature change.

(The cabin fan can use hundreds of watts but we're not talking about that - the conversation began with people wanting to turn the A/C off but leave the fan on.)

Bjorn's test showed a power consumption of 735W for a 33F temperature difference including the cabin fan. So let's say 150W of that is fan overhead and 685W is temperature change + pump losses (which scale with temperature change). That works out to about 21W per degree F.

A Model 3 averaging 300Wh/mi at 40mph is consuming 12,000W. If the heat pump is running to tweak the temperature by 2 degrees that becomes 12,042W for a difference of 0%.

When the Model 3 goes into panic mode due to an incident or getting too close to the curb etc there is an alarm. Then the car may take over the steering. It then issues an explanation....in tiny letters that expire a couple of seconds after the alarm. While you are still in panic mode! You have absolutely no desire to be checking the screen at this time. Your eyes are glued to the road and other traffic.
I would prefer it if the Tesla computer spoke to me and explained what just happened a few moments after I have calmed down

Absolutely Larger Fonts! I would have just liked the previous comment, but I suspect my account is too new for me to do that!

Another change would be for right hand drive vehicles as I’m in the UK. Some dialog boxes are positioned better when using your right hand in the USA. For example on a UK car, going into the Nav options to mute the voice is quite a stretch. Clicking on the X to close the box is much too far away - you have to take your eye completely off the road. I appreciate that you can use voice control for this, but you have to remember what to tell it!

For me I want the Waze app (owned by Google) because it accurately tells me upcoming construction, road hazards, hidden police, disabled cars, and more because it's all reported by the Waze community as a whole. In my old car I reported tons of stuff that probably helped a lot of people.

I don't want to use a browser to access Waze. I just want DIFFERENT CHOICES for navigation please (Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, whatever!).

You already have Whatever. Why would they ever engineer a completely separate nav system from the one they already have? You want choices, all of those exist on your phone. That is about the ONLY reason I can see for having CarPlay would be to get these options on your Tesla display. But seriously, it seems to me the fix for people like you is an App Store that would allow the development that has happened on the phone to happen in the car, and let Tesla work on the nuts and bolts.

Wiper toggle on via the stalk button without having to press the screen. Maybe a double press to turn on wipers.

Ability to toggle side mirror tilt independently. I don't need the driver's mirror to tilt, just the passenger one.

Ability to set separate temperature settings for the footwells and face vents. This might simply be a hardware limitation, but if it's not, then I would really like this feature. It's amazing in my BMWs.

Carplay and Android Auto. Most of the issues with Bluetooth and it's limitations, especially with text messaging and browsing content would be completely solved with Carplay or Android Auto. Plus we could get Waze on the screen, without resorting to the browser version, or screen mirroring hacks. It seems like Tesla has put a lot of work into trying to make Bluetooth functional, but really this is a dead end road. Bluetooth will never be able to match what Carplay and Android Auto can do, as far as device integration and control.

Nothing is more frustrating to me with the car, then trying to respond to a text message, only to get the infamous, "Send Message Failed," while I'm busy driving. Great, so I wasted time dictating a message, and now if I want to respond I have to get my phone, and respond on it. That's a real elegant solution...

There's zero reason not to have either option, the car has all the hardware it needs to run Android Auto and Carplay. Both can be run within a window now, and don't need to take over the entire screen.

Last edited:
You already have Whatever. Why would they ever engineer a completely separate nav system from the one they already have? You want choices, all of those exist on your phone. That is about the ONLY reason I can see for having CarPlay would be to get these options on your Tesla display. But seriously, it seems to me the fix for people like you is an App Store that would allow the development that has happened on the phone to happen in the car, and let Tesla work on the nuts and bolts.
CarPlay would be perfect for me, which connects to Apple’s App Store ecosystem. Waze works on CarPlay.

There’s no need for Tesla to reinvent the wheel (pun?). Apple and Google have CarPlay and Android Auto, which are two systems connecting to phones with App Stores already fully built out.

Just give us those two integrations and everything else comes with it. ALL major car manufactures do it except Tesla, and it’s a feature people expect in luxury cars.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff