Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you add to your Tesla M3/MY screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think long term Tesla having their own store for native apps means THEY collect the 30% commission vs. Apple, and you use the unlimited data on the car for those apps instead of the data on the phone. Also, the apps will have direct access to the data in the car vs. just what can be collected remotely, so simple things like Temp and % Grade are things the phone can't access.

I think long term Tesla having their own store for native apps means THEY collect the 30% commission vs. Apple, and you use the unlimited data on the car for those apps instead of the data on the phone. Also, the apps will have direct access to the data in the car vs. just what can be collected remotely, so simple things like Temp and % Grade are things the phone can't access.
In the long term Mr Musk might make his own smartphone. Imagine if only his phones can be paired to a Tesla

Why would a developer target Tesla for an app store? The user install base is minuscule compared with iOS or Android. There's only so many things a person might be willing to pay money for in an app too. You spend most of your time in the car driving. You think most Tesla owners will cycle through $1 apps regularly like they might do on their cell phone to entertain themselves while in the bathroom?

Every device does not need an app store, the simplest solution is to allow Carplay. Hell charge for it, add it to the connectivity subscription if Tesla wants to monetize apps, I would be willing to pay for it. Would actually bring real value to the connectivity subscription.

Why would a developer target Tesla for an app store? The user install base is minuscule compared with iOS or Android. There's only so many things a person might be willing to pay money for in an app too. You spend most of your time in the car driving. You think most Tesla owners will cycle through $1 apps regularly like they might do on their cell phone to entertain themselves while in the bathroom?

Every device does not need an app store, the simplest solution is to allow Carplay. Hell charge for it, add it to the connectivity subscription if Tesla wants to monetize apps, I would be willing to pay for it. Would actually bring real value to the connectivity subscription.
Carplay and Android Auto :)

Well the only apps people actually want are Waze and few more music/audiobook options (which are already in progress). And maybe a few apps that Carplay could never handle anyway like ScanMyTesla and ABetterRoutePlanner.

So what's left? Better handling of group texts? It'd be a lot easier for Tesla to fix that then to add a clumsy Carplay interface.

EqNL6wlW4AEem3O.jpg

I fail to see how Carplay is at all clumsy compared with the built in Tesla apps. The messaging via Bluetooth is terrible, and will always be terrible, because it is at the mercy of Bluetooth.

How is a built in audio book app better than just interfacing with Carplay or Android Auto? So what, now I have to load individual audio books into my car? They're already in my phone! Or am I stuck using only Audible or whatever service Tesla gets around to supporting? You will never be able to browse through your phone with the way Bluetooth is either. That's why Carplay and Android Auto exist, they use direct USB or WiFi to have plenty of bandwidth and the necessary hooks to mirror the screen and/or allow the head unit to directly interface with the phone, beyond just generic Bluetooth commands.

Don't even get me started on streaming things like podcasts from my phone or things like my local NPR station's app via Bluetooth. The buttons on the car display don't function other than pause/play, because there's no Bluetooth command for advance 15 seconds, the only hook available is next track. With Carplay, the advance forward 15 seconds buttons all work fine.

Why even have a debate about it? It's an available feature for every single other automotive maker on the planet, for good reason. Most people like it, it works better than most native apps, you don't have to stare at your phone when browsing, it future proofs displays, without extraneous software development needed on the manufacturer's part beyond initially adding it in.

Carplay or android auto is never coming to Tesla. It is better we all realize that and stop dreaming.
Tesla is a tech company. Apple is a direct competitor to Tesla, more now with their car development in full swing.

iPhone had lot of limitation from its inception; every owner complained but still bought year after year. Tesla will do the same; add more and more functions slowly. But they will never give away the control (just like Apple), especially if they have any plans to make phone as rumored.

In long term (since everyone is talking about it). I believe they will most likely open up to web apps once they adopt their satellite network, starlink, into Tesla (so obviously they can get more money for SpaceX). Web apps will be the future most likely. Apps can be developed in single platform and run in cloud, so no need to develop separately for ios or android or whatever. It would be expensive now to use cloud; but will likely be cheaper to use clouds than developing apps in multiple platforms.

Don't even get me started on streaming things like podcasts from my phone or things like my local NPR station's app via Bluetooth. The buttons on the car display don't function other than pause/play, because there's no Bluetooth command for advance 15 seconds, the only hook available is next track. With Carplay, the advance forward 15 seconds buttons all work fine.

Skip forward/backward works fine with bluetooth-streaming from the Pocketcasts podcast app on Android. Try a different podcast app?

Those same buttons go to the next/previous track in Tesla's podcast app, which is a big surprise. But IIRC, Tesla's podcast app doesn't remember where you left off when returning to the car nor which episodes you've heard. Until they add those features, it's not very useful.

Skip forward/backward works fine with bluetooth-streaming from the Pocketcasts podcast app on Android. Try a different podcast app?

Those same buttons go to the next/previous track in Tesla's podcast app, which is a big surprise. But IIRC, Tesla's podcast app doesn't remember where you left off when returning to the car nor which episodes you've heard. Until they add those features, it's not very useful.
I also use Pocket Casts, on a Galaxy S9, and the left steering wheel scroll wheel works to jump forward 30 seconds (scroll wheel to the right) or back 10 seconds (scroll wheel to the left).

Well the only apps people actually want are Waze and few more music/audiobook options (which are already in progress). And maybe a few apps that Carplay could never handle anyway like ScanMyTesla and ABetterRoutePlanner.

So what's left? Better handling of group texts? It'd be a lot easier for Tesla to fix that then to add a clumsy Carplay interface.

View attachment 738666
How did you get Apple as a source?!