Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do? 2019 Perf vs 2021 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I stumbled into a dilemma & I'd like some feedback. Curious what others would do, or what additional info I should seek out to make the decision.

Option #1: 2021 MS, LR, FSD, 19" tempest wheels

Option #2: 2019 MS, Perf, 10k miles, Ludicrous Mode, FSD, 21" twin turbine, chrome delete wrap, full tint

Identical interior/exterior colors & pricing within +/- 1000 USD.

What would you do?
if pricing is only ~$1,000....get the new one with longer warranty and newer features....acceleration is only for show....you have plenty of power and besides speed limits are 55-65....unless you are in places like Utah, Texas or Montana....I would go new

The 2021 LR should be the same as the 2020, but my point is some have been billed a premium for the "performance" version. I talked to one fellow at a Supercharger who said buying the P100D doubled his premium.

Here is what I am getting at: Non-Performance insurance quoted for performance?

Might sway your decision

Thanks for clarifying. I did get a quote using the 2019 Performance VIN & it was approx. 15%-20% higher than what I got using a 2020 LR VIN - which is a small drop in the bucket at the purchase prices we're talking about.

I will say that we did the Snapshot program with Progressive YEARS ago & we've been getting a 30% discount ever since. That's dampening the impact a bit - but still not bad at all.

Flip a coin. I will say you will very rarely use the true performance acceleration but you’ll likely enjoy the extra miles since you need to whack about 20% off whatever it says you’ll be getting for normal conditions. I have a P90DX and if I could do it again, I would have gotten more range. There is no such thing as a slow Tesla.

This pretty much sums up where I'm at on this, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything & appreciate all the feedback. I'm in a pretty small market for Tesla & it felt like destiny that this thing popped up in my own back yard right now.

I'll be curious to see if the seller gets any bites within striking distance of the current list price. Unfortunately, his biggest selling point was performance & aftermarket changes that have been negated by the default specs post-refresh. Almost feel bad for him, but probably gonna tell him to give me a call in 2-3 weeks if there's been no interest & he's ready to move the needle on price.

This pretty much sums up where I'm at on this, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything & appreciate all the feedback. I'm in a pretty small market for Tesla & it felt like destiny that this thing popped up in my own back yard right now.

I'll be curious to see if the seller gets any bites within striking distance of the current list price. Unfortunately, his biggest selling point was performance & aftermarket changes that have been negated by the default specs post-refresh. Almost feel bad for him, but probably gonna tell him to give me a call in 2-3 weeks if there's been no interest & he's ready to move the needle on price.

he would have to move the needle by at least 10k before I’d start to consider over the refresh.

he would have to move the needle by at least 10k before I’d start to consider over the refresh.
Sounds like the seller is stuck in the past. An educated buyer won’t pay that ask, as you note.

Here’s the thing about Tesla resale value. A P, or L or Plaid will never come close to being “worth” the $20,000+ premium just for speed. The delta between the base and top end price shrinks the minute you start driving it. Do I love my P90D? Absolutely. Was it worth the $20,000 extra I paid? No, but I did get it two months sooner and does go crazy fast. Except now the base X refresh is 0-60 in 3.8s. Which is the same as my P, which means there’s no premium anyone should pay for my P...but I get to enjoy it still!

Here’s the thing about Tesla resale value. A P, or L or Plaid will never come close to being “worth” the $20,000+ premium just for speed. The delta between the base and top end price shrinks the minute you start driving it

True.

The Plaid+ will retain some of the delta due to range and structural battery. At least until the Aret of line move to same.

We also don’t know of other changes or differentiators at this point.