Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you order now you probably won’t get it until end of quarter? By then I suppose the inventory cars will start showing up. My understanding is that you can switch the deposit to the inventory purchase without penalty.

The best scenario would be getting an inventory 100D, even with little discounts if it’s brand new. I have a 60D and like you don’t do much long range driving and if it wasn’t the performance update I wouldn’t have unlocked to 75D and not for the range. However, if I was to replace my car from buyback (just got my car back and it was their very last chance to see if the problems come back), I would go for a 100D.

I think getting an AP1 is a mistake. AP2 is definitely at parity from the loaner I got. It should only get better moving forward. They have reached the capacity of what AP1 could handle.

Interesting. I didn’t know this. So I can switch to inventory car up until point of delivery? Can anyone else confirm?

I am pretty sure. When I paid for my current X in 12/16, supercharging was tied to the car. I rushed to get it before years end before promo was ending 1/15/17. Guess what? 2 weeks later they brought it back and tied it to the person rather than the car. I was pissed.

Oh I think you misunderstand. It is tie to the person while that person owns that car. So if I sell my 2017 MX, the new owner does not get free supercharge. So you did the right thing with your 2016 MX... 2016 MS/MX got higher resale values because it is the newest model year of MS/MX with free transferable supercharge tie to the car.

Oh I think you misunderstand. It is tie to the person while that person owns that car. So if I sell my 2017 MX, the new owner does not get free supercharge. So you did the right thing with your 2016 MX... 2016 MS/MX got higher resale values because it is the newest model year of MS/MX with free transferable supercharge tie to the car.

You are probably correct. My mistake.

P.S. Wait a second. I think I am actually correct. Yes, FUS does not transfer with the car, BUT it stays with the person and gets transferred to their next model X or S. So, technically, could be for life...

Tesla adds a deadline to its ‘free Supercharging’ on future car purchases by owners

“You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31, 2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging.”

Last edited:
I got free SC when I bought my X under the referral program, when I sell it that will not go on to the next owner and it will not transfer to my next Tesla. This according to my DS. Once you sell your car it's gone. If you got free SC not on the promo then it stays with the not the owner.

I got free SC when I bought my X under the referral program, when I sell it that will not go on to the next owner and it will not transfer to my next Tesla. This according to my DS. Once you sell your car it's gone. If you got free SC not on the promo then it stays with the not the owner.

I think what I am talking about is a little different. Its a current OWNER buying another X or S. If said OWNER dumps the car lets say in 5 years and buys another X or S, FUS transfers to new vehicle.

I went for the 100D all boxes ticked except full Ap.. My order was confirmed mid Dec delivery mid March2018. After much reading I'm not sure that the PUP is worth it anymore but I still believe the bigger battery will make the experience of owning an EV much nicer (i.e. minus range anxiety). The best deal is option 3, and I will also be looking to swap to a inventory, as mentioned above that was confirmed as a possibility for me.

I thought there was a period where your X/S would transfer to the new owner with free supercharging, ended somewhere early 2017? This would help with resale.

From my Tesla account:
You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before January 31, 2018. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.​

Also, despite their "deadlines" to cancel unlimited supercharging, Tesla keeps punting the deadline.

Reactions: rjdoc74
If you don't need the 100D range or PUP then why not just get a basic 75D and save a load of cash? It's about 150 kg lighter too, so will handle a bit sharper and be a little more efficient. Only reason to get the 100D is if you are using the full range often enough to make it worth $18K, or whatever the difference currently is. For me, I would only make use of the extra range maybe a couple of times a year, so for the odd time I have to make an additional SC stop I will just sit there thinking how much money I've saved!

You are probably correct. My mistake.

P.S. Wait a second. I think I am actually correct. Yes, FUS does not transfer with the car, BUT it stays with the person and gets transferred to their next model X or S. So, technically, could be for life...

Tesla adds a deadline to its ‘free Supercharging’ on future car purchases by owners

“You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before December 31, 2017. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner. In addition, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging.”

It is because your MX was bought in 2016 or early 2017. Here is what my 2017 Dec purchased MX said on my account:

You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle as well as any new Model S or Model X purchased before January 31, 2018. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Also, up to five friends you refer will also receive free Supercharging. Read our Supercharging terms.

Interesting. I didn’t know this. So I can switch to inventory car up until point of delivery? Can anyone else confirm?

Yes, this is correct. I had a 75D on order but switched to inventory build to make sure I got tax credit locked in dec 17.

Based on your needs, the 75d would be more than adequate. There is no real
Performance difference anymore either which is nice. I agree PUP is way over priced and the only thing I would pay for out of it is the rear heated seats and maybe the upgraded stereo but standard stereo is more than enough.

Put that money towards the upgraded interior, I had a loaner model S with cloth and it just didn't feel right in a Tesla.

Yes, this is correct. I had a 75D on order but switched to inventory build to make sure I got tax credit locked in dec 17.

Performance difference anymore either which is nice. I agree PUP is way over priced and the only thing I would pay for out of it is the rear heated seats and maybe the upgraded stereo but standard stereo is more than enough.

Put that money towards the upgraded interior, I had a loaner model S with cloth and it just didn't feel right in a Tesla.

I just got a text from my OA. You can only delay the order if the car has not entered production. Currently, its about 4-5 weeks.

I would keep working the inventory. I bought 100D inventory with 1000 miles on it. Saved $12,600--got PUP everything except winter package--all for the 1000K--less if you count CA+ Fed incentives. Interesting problem. The 1000D will be very good when it comes to selling/trading later. Probably more than extra goodies. Love the premium sound, lights, and doors.

I would keep working the inventory. I bought 100D inventory with 1000 miles on it. Saved $12,600--got PUP everything except winter package--all for the 1000K--less if you count CA+ Fed incentives. Interesting problem. The 1000D will be very good when it comes to selling/trading later. Probably more than extra goodies. Love the premium sound, lights, and doors.

That’s what I am hoping for. Of course my OA is saying “not sure if inventory will ever come back” blah blah. I got $21k off my previous Tesla. Gotta balance trying to get last of the tax credit, inventory car, etc.

how much longer can you wait before you NEED a replacement car. if you custom order new it will take roughly 60 days (and you will pay a pretty penny)

I too would focus on new inventory and keep an eye out for decent priced CPO but the 1st question to ask yourself is you soon do you need a car and be honest with this answer. if you need a car in 60 days your answer is clear. and you still have 45+ days to consider a new inventory/CPO in the meantime.

how much longer can you wait before you NEED a replacement car. if you custom order new it will take roughly 60 days (and you will pay a pretty penny)

I too would focus on new inventory and keep an eye out for decent priced CPO but the 1st question to ask yourself is you soon do you need a car and be honest with this answer. if you need a car in 60 days your answer is clear. and you still have 45+ days to consider a new inventory/CPO in the meantime.

I honestly don’t need it right this second. I have a spare car I can drive (BMW x5 diesel which I love). But I don’t want to miss the tax credit. So I can wait until end of this quarter probably. Unlimited SC promo ends next Wednesday and no one is sure what will happen after. Should I place on order on 1/31 and change it to my inventory care later? What do you think?

I found this interesting since I test drove the upgraded interior and we found it to be pretty lackluster. Maybe that's just because we are coming for BMW leather. We really liked the look and feel of the multi-pattern seats. The two tone look is great and they were super comfy.

I honestly don’t need it right this second. I have a spare car I can drive (BMW x5 diesel which I love). But I don’t want to miss the tax credit. So I can wait until end of this quarter probably. Unlimited SC promo ends next Wednesday and no one is sure what will happen after. Should I place on order on 1/31 and change it to my inventory care later? What do you think?

I think free supercharging will be offered at some point in the future. So I would wait until 3/31/18 to order a car — all the while keeping yr eye out on CPO and new inventory! I can’t guarantee free SCing of course, but I say what I’m sauing here with an ample level of confidence . As far as the tax credit goes, I would be sure to take delivery before 9/30/18. Tho if I am 100% honest, I’m not sure when the tax credit will start phasing out.

This was typed on my iPhone. Sorry for any typos.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I think free supercharging will be offered at some point in the future. So I would wait until 3/31/18 to order a car — all the while keeping yr eye out on CPO and new inventory! I can’t guarantee free SCing of course, but I say what I’m sauing here with an ample level of confidence . As far as the tax credit goes, I would be sure to take delivery before 9/30/18. Tho if I am 100% honest, I’m not sure when the tax credit will start phasing out.

This was typed on my iPhone. Sorry for any typos.

Sound advice. Thanks.

I found this interesting since I test drove the upgraded interior and we found it to be pretty lackluster. Maybe that's just because we are coming for BMW leather. We really liked the look and feel of the multi-pattern seats. The two tone look is great and they were super comfy.

Personal opinion obviously. I would still take a Tesla with cloth over any other vehicle so if that is all the budget will handle then go for it.