Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you pay for a SR Y right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing some crazy prices on used Teslas right now. If you really wanted one and didn’t want to wait 2+ months, what would you pay?

Take this for instance:
$45,000 tops including white interior and having geminis painted? Says email for e-price so maybe less but still...

Reactions: RedWhite19
Pretend you can’t order one from Tesla. Oh wait, you can’t. And even still they are $42,990 for the one or two that are rejected and make their way into inventory.

The question is, if you wanted to buy a Tesla right now, not in 3 months when an order today would be delivered, would you be willing to pay a premium to take delivery right now? Also, would you pay a premium for a trim that you can no longer order?

I spoke to a Tesla store advisor (or whatever you call them) after taking a Model 3 AWD for an overnight test drive. Take it with a lump of salt, but she said that as of yesterday there was only 1 SR Model Y in the country in Georgia that existed in inventory (almost certainly gone by now), and that she did not expect any others to be showing up (unless someone with a reserved SR Y rejects theirs at delivery). The people that have reservations for a SR Y probably number in the few dozens at most, so odds of landing a rejected SR Y are probably slim to almost none.

As for how much I'd pay? I'd pay $42k for a base stripper SR Y.

The SRY is a really interesting beast. It is a bare-bones model, but at the same time, it is essentially a limited production run. It would not shock me one bit, if these become even more sought after in the future given their relative rarity and "stripper" designation.

Seeing some crazy prices on used Teslas right now. If you really wanted one and didn’t want to wait 2+ months, what would you pay?

Take this for instance:
$45,000 tops including white interior and having geminis painted? Says email for e-price so maybe less but still...
$58k?!? That is more than I am paying including TT&L for my LR AWD.

I don’t understand why anybody would pay anything remotely close to that price when you can wait a couple months and can get a LR MY with red multi-coat, 20 inch wheels and white interior. This is the second one I’ve seen this in this range. Not to mention, this thing has 5k miles on it.

As for your question, I’d pay around 43.5-44 for a new one in those specs you mentioned.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Here is another one for 53.4k. It was previously 55 but had no takers.

And another.

Here is another one for 53.4k. It was previously 55 but had no takers.

And another.

This is stupid. Why would anyone pay MORE for a used SR Y than a new LR Y??? It's insanity if people are actually buying these at those prices.

Also, some people cannot stand the Tesla model of order online and wait til we tell you it’s ready and no you won’t know til about a week before it’s ready to pick up. They like the place where you can go and talk and haggle prices.

That same Mitsu dealer has an 8k mile 2020 SR+ 3 for $45,000. If they can keep up the prices then hopefully I can sell my 3 and get the tax rebate later this year or next and come out even in my SR+ 3 for LR Y swap. And the wife could sell her SR Y and swap for a LR Y for free essentially. Even with taxes and fees. Crazy...

There is also another thread here about someone who paid $62k for a used 2020 LR Y with FSD.

A couple more used ones hit the market... Not sure what is going on...
11507103-DA5E-4BF3-B957-749E21CCE2F6.png
39833019-31B5-476A-8DB9-829FD19DDE7F.png

The SR has become a unicorn model that will probably end up being the rarest Model Y variant that there is. Is the demand still silly? IMO, yes. But not necessarily surprising.
It’s not a unicorn in a good way though. The SR was intended to be the cheapest Y with the least range. Why would anyone willingly pay LR prices for base range? Only sensible explanation is the buyer(s) haven’t done any research and mistaken the SR as the same thing as an LR.

The sellers probably can’t believe their luck and the buyers will learn an expensive lesson when they try to resell their SR later and realize how much underwater they are.

It’s not a unicorn in a good way though. The SR was intended to be the cheapest Y with the least range. Why would anyone willingly pay LR prices for base range? Only sensible explanation is the buyer(s) haven’t done any research and mistaken the SR as the same thing as an LR.

The sellers probably can’t believe their luck and the buyers will learn an expensive lesson when they try to resell their SR later and realize how much underwater they are.
Some people can care less about range. It is the same exact car as the LR. Same premium sound,Led lights, seat warmers for the backseat.
Range wasn’t a big deal for me. I have a Model 3 SR+ and a gas powered 3 series. So, when this car came up, and for as cheap as it was, I saw it as a golden opportunity. So, yes, it is in many ways a unicorn. The car is the same price as what the SR+ is right now.

Now, would I pay 50+k for it? No but I wouldn’t pay 50+k for a LR either.

Reactions: blinkme323
Some people can care less about range. It is the same exact car as the LR. Same premium sound,Led lights, seat warmers for the backseat.
Range wasn’t a big deal for me. I have a Model 3 SR+ and a gas powered 3 series. So, when this car came up, and for as cheap as it was, I saw it as a golden opportunity. So, yes, it is in many ways a unicorn. The car is the same price as what the SR+ is right now.

Now, would I pay 50+k for it? No but I wouldn’t pay 50+k for a LR either.
I did not say an SR was bad, my point is an SR is a bad deal at LR prices.

You basically repeated my point though. Ridiculous for someone to pay the LR premium for an SR car. That’s like paying Pro Max price for a regular iPhone 12.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung