Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's a chrome delete cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seem some photos of a red M3 with black chrome delete and it looks pretty good. But I wonder how much does it cost to have done? I'm planning on leasing and trying to decide if it's worth it for a leased car.
Depends on the shop but it appears most people pay 500-1000 for a shop to perform a chrome delete. Some DIY kits are available for significantly less.

OP why are you planning on leasing? Unless this is for business use, tesla model 3 has pretty horrible lease terms compared to other cars. If its just to not "get stuck" with the car, you will be paying a premium to do so. Leasing normally pays a premium over buying, but for many car manufacters, it pencils out fine.

It doesnt for a tesla model 3. You have posted about chrome delete, I think about putting on paint protection film etc... on a lease. Even if this is a business use vehicle, you would probably be close to the same cost in buying it, and selling it in 3 years, as you would be leasing it... especially since you will not even have the option to buy it at lease end for a pre agreed to price.

- I wonder what car color you have in mind?
I find the chrome too noticeable on a black car, but fine with other colors.

- Also what interior color and wheels you plan to choose?
I find the Aero 18" wheels with or without a cover, not looking that great.

I'm thinking about red with black interior. I'm getting a Performance, so wheel choices are limited. I'll probably drop down to an 18-19" wheel just so the tires aren't so low profile, but I wouldn't the Aeros anyway as I think they're ugly.

OP why are you planning on leasing? Unless this is for business use, tesla model 3 has pretty horrible lease terms compared to other cars. If its just to not "get stuck" with the car, you will be paying a premium to do so. Leasing normally pays a premium over buying, but for many car manufacters, it pencils out fine.

It doesnt for a tesla model 3. You have posted about chrome delete, I think about putting on paint protection film etc... on a lease. Even if this is a business use vehicle, you would probably be close to the same cost in buying it, and selling it in 3 years, as you would be leasing it... especially since you will not even have the option to buy it at lease end for a pre agreed to price.

I've done the math and if you're only going to keep the car for 3 year anyway the lease is a better deal. If you plan to hold on to it for 5-7 years then buying is a better option.

Here's the math....

I'm looking at a Red M3 Performance without FSD which has a cash price of $56,990 + $12,00 doc fee.

If I lease I have to put down $4821 and pay $626/mo for 36 months. Total cost $27,357.

If I buy I'd have to put $24,500 down for the 60 month payment to be $624/mo. After 3 years I will have paid $22,464 and still owe about $13,765 on the loan. I'll also have received an $1,875 tax credit which I'll deduct from the total. Which means that I'd have to sell the car for $36,390 just to break even. That's almost 64% of the original value of the car. Highly unlikely. If I only get 50%, which is pretty standard after 3 years, I'd have paid $32,230 over the same 3 years. That's almost $5k more than the lease.

If you're the type to keep the car for longer you can probably end up in a better position if you purchase. But if you're going to only keep the car for 3 years anyway the lease is a better deal.

Reactions: ByByGas
I really like the chrome delete. I had a BMW 135i before my current car. It had "shadownline" trim, which was basically a chrome delete for the chrome around the windows, and it looked awesome. I'd love to get that look again on the Model 3. Not sure if I like the black door handles though. I think it might look better to get those in body color. I wonder how close you can get vinyl to match the paint on the car?

Yeah not sure this is the type of thing I'd want to DIY. Seems like it would be hard and results could look iffy.

Haven’t received it yet but it’s Supposed to arrive today. Hoping to start and maybe get it done this weekend. Will require some skill...but if you wrapped your own center console and found it pretty easy....this shouldn’t be that hard. The door trim looks to be pretty easy and straight forward. It’s the mirrors that are more difficult and will save that for last.

Chrome Delete

I've seem some photos of a red M3 with black chrome delete and it looks pretty good. But I wonder how much does it cost to have done? I'm planning on leasing and trying to decide if it's worth it for a leased car.

If you're planning to do a chrome delete, then make sure you stick to vinyl and not paint chrome delete so you can reverse it when you give the car back. And probably avoid plastidip chrome delete as well because removal can be messier.

Received the kit yesterday. Packaging very well thought/laid out. Hoping to get the door trims done this weekend and tackle the mirror trim last.

8BDD81A8-D71E-463D-BFB7-748026C98130.jpeg
319E435F-B0B5-48BD-82B7-CA9738318693.jpeg