Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's a good price for a refresh Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

I just sold my Model 3 Performance and I have a Model Y Performance on order, however my goal would be to have a refresh Model S and originally that was not even a possibility at 100k+ however I am now seeing the used market for the 2021-2022 Model S come into my price range, I have seen ones with 5k-15k Miles listed for 72k-80k, My question to you guys is would the new lights, screen swivel, steam/16gb ram be worth it to spend around 80k vs 72k?

Thanks so much everyone

Hello everyone!

I just sold my Model 3 Performance and I have a Model Y Performance on order, however my goal would be to have a refresh Model S and originally that was not even a possibility at 100k+ however I am now seeing the used market for the 2021-2022 Model S come into my price range, I have seen ones with 5k-15k Miles listed for 72k-80k, My question to you guys is would the new lights, screen swivel, steam/16gb ram be worth it to spend around 80k vs 72k?

Thanks so much everyone
Mine is a November 2021 build. 2022 Model year. No swivel screen, but I cant imagine many people routinely (if ever) swiveling the screen? In its standard location/position, its easily visible to me the driver at all times, as well as the passenger. Nice to have sure, but I suspect it doesnt get much adjusting. Mine does have the 16mb and has steam, but as much as I enjoy video games, other than showing passengers? I never play video games in any car. The matrix headlights arent fully activated yet in the US, and Im not sure there is a date for that to occur. The non matrix headlights seem to be plenty enough for me?

Note that there are rumors that HW4 and the new cameras (including cameras in bumpers) are due out later this year...if thats anything you have a concern about. (some people HAVE to have the absolute latest of whatever comes out)

Mine is a November 2021 build. 2022 Model year. No swivel screen, but I cant imagine many people routinely (if ever) swiveling the screen? In its standard location/position, its easily visible to me the driver at all times, as well as the passenger. Nice to have sure, but I suspect it doesnt get much adjusting. Mine does have the 16mb and has steam, but as much as I enjoy video games, other than showing passengers? I never play video games in any car. The matrix headlights arent fully activated yet in the US, and Im not sure there is a date for that to occur. The non matrix headlights seem to be plenty enough for me?

Note that there are rumors that HW4 and the new cameras (including cameras in bumpers) are due out later this year...if thats anything you have a concern about. (some people HAVE to have the absolute latest of whatever comes out)
Thanks for the info! I care nothing about FSD and HW4 and won't be buying a new one so that's not a big deal for me, it would only be a big deal if HW4 dropped the 2021-2022 Model S price but a TON, if not I might just get one used this month. And you are 100% right, I never play games in my model 3, only watch YT most of the time if ever so steam for sure is not a big deal, is the screen smoother with the cars with 16gb vs 8gb?

As someone that already has a '20 Model X LR+ (pre-refresh) - and just bought a '21 Refresh S LR .... I wouldn't consider anything except a Refresh S/X now. The pre-refresh models are feeling old; there are many car features that simply aren't being made available on the older platforms (even features that - in theory - they should support.)

I automatically glossed over all pre-refresh S's when buying. They're cheaper, but not a bargain, if that makes sense.

Reactions: leecox
As someone that already has a '20 Model X LR+ (pre-refresh) - and just bought a '21 Refresh S LR .... I wouldn't consider anything except a Refresh S/X now. The pre-refresh models are feeling old; there are many car features that simply aren't being made available on the older platforms (even features that - in theory - they should support.)

I automatically glossed over all pre-refresh S's when buying. They're cheaper, but not a bargain, if that makes sense.
Oh yes 100% I will only buy the refresh

Unless there's something wrong with my headlights, the matrix headlights suck on my refresh. My 2020 M3 headlights are much better in my opinion because they don't have vertical dark lines on low beam and don't have horizontal dark lines on high beam.

I only use the swivel screen to impress people, but otherwise it says retracted at all times.

And having a PS5 in your dash is also a gimmick. Why would you spend thousands more to get that functionality when you would do almost all your gaming at home or on a mobile device?

Those people will always be very unhappy with a Tesla since they are constantly upgrading their products. You absolutely can't win that game unless you change cars every few months.

Those people will always be very unhappy with a Tesla since they are constantly upgrading their products. You absolutely can't win that game unless you change cars every few months.
Good points, I found a 2021 Model S long range refresh with 4k miles on it for 72k, is that a good price? I also found one with white seats but it has 12k miles for the same price. not sure if I like white or black more, I will be test driving one tomorrow

Tesla has a policy of continous improvement, so newer is most always better. Given that, used car reflect that in pricing.
Biggest refresh was for the Raven model, which released adaptive air suspension as it's major improvement. Faster Supercharging was also a nice bonus, so Ravens will carry a price bump.
The latest refresh has choice of Round steering wheel or Yoke, faster computer, quicker charging, dual pane windows,loss of stalks, active noise reduction (jury still out on that one) improved sound system, perforated heated and cooled seating, updated wheels/tires and improved aerodynamics.

Everyone is looking for the best "deal" for them, but do not forget to take into consideration the various Federal,State and Utility rebates that are offered when buying new. If you have taxable income, often your net costs for a new car will be less than buying used. For profitable small business owners the Section 179 tax credit plus accelerated depreciation makes buying a new Model X a financial no brainer.

A used Tesla will have worn tires, brakes, interiors etc. The warranty will be partially gone and this will warrant a discount.

Offsetting all of this of course is that you can often get a used Telsa with immediate delivery, while ordering a new one can take many months till delivery.

I am on my 3rd Model X, and taking available tax credits has always offset my depreciation, making upgrading almost free.

Timing can also be an unpredictable issue. While waiting over a year for my last X, the pricing had shot up by a lot. Tesla honored my original order pricing, also providing a nice protection against depreciation. This can also go the other way, with current price reductions, some will experience an unwelcome depreciation increase.

Last edited:
Good points, I found a 2021 Model S long range refresh with 4k miles on it for 72k, is that a good price? I also found one with white seats but it has 12k miles for the same price. not sure if I like white or black more, I will be test driving one tomorrow

Seems like a good price. A new one with no options is $96500 with destination and other fees, so that's a mega savings for just 4K miles of use.

Use the savings to buy an extended bumper to bumper warranty from xcare for 10 years total, which usually costs around $3-4K.

Reactions: ShockYT
Ah yes I did see some 2021 with the old style, so would it be called 2021.5?

The VIN is going to show the model year as 2021 for both but yes, the refresh model could be considered a 2021.5. However, most listings will still likely show both versions as 2021s.

It would be in a refresh seller's best interest to describe the car as a refresh, 2021.5 or whatever but some may not think to do so or mistakenly assume all "2021" cars are refresh which they are not.

The same sort of thing happened back in 2016 when Tesla restyled the front fascia (nose) of the MS mid- year. Some 2016 models had the old nose and some 2016 models had the new nose.

Reactions: ShockYT
Tesla has a policy of continous improvement, so newer is most always better. Given that, used car reflect that in pricing.
Biggest refresh was for the Raven model, which released adaptive air suspension as it's major improvement. Faster Supercharging was also a nice bonus, so Ravens will carry a price bump.
The latest refresh has choice of Round steering wheel or Yoke, faster computer, quicker charging, dual pane windows,loss of stalks, active noise reduction (jury still out on that one) improved sound system, perforated heated and cooled seating, updated wheels/tires and improved aerodynamics.

Everyone is looking for the best "deal" for them, but do not forget to take into consideration the various Federal,State and Utility rebates that are offered when buying new. If you have taxable income, often your net costs for a new car will be less than buying used. For profitable small business owners the Section 179 tax credit plus accelerated depreciation makes buying a new Model X a financial no brainer.

A used Tesla will have worn tires, brakes, interiors etc. The warranty will be partially gone and this will warrant a discount.

Offsetting all of this of course is that you can often get a used Telsa with immediate delivery, while ordering a new one can take many months till delivery.

I am on my 3rd Model X, and taking available tax credits has always offset my depreciation, making upgrading almost free.

Timing can also be an unpredictable issue. While waiting over a year for my last X, the pricing had shot up by a lot. Tesla honored my original order pricing, also providing a nice protection against depreciation. This can also go the other way, with current price reductions, some will experience an unwelcome depreciation increase.
Oh yes I already write off my cars however they have not been heavy enough to take off the entire cost in that year, Is the Model x the only one that qualifies? and the Model X and S do not make the cut for any tax credits like the 7500 one right now I thought

Easiest way to tell if the car is the mid 2022 refresh is tail lights. Look for the "Tesla" symbol in the middle-back of the car. If the bodypart runs into the middle of the tail lights, that is pre mid 2022 refresh. If it ends AT the lights with a squared off end, that is the refresh and has the new tail lights and matrix headlights.

Swivel screen you need to know the VIN, 478xx+ I think, something like that. As for pricing, the dealers are DESPERATE to hold the prices up as many paid over 100k even at auction or havent really followed the market. Plaid vehicles are asking 110-115k but they sit on the lot unsold for months. I've only seen them sell under 100k, unless there is a specific color/option set and then it is right at 100k. (Blue or Red/White w/FSD w/matrix is what I want if you have one to sell me :) )

For a 2022 LR, I would be looking at <78k now without swivel. 2021 and pre light refresh should definitely be 72k. FSD should only adjust by a bit, but YMMV.

Reactions: jetsurgn
RE all the comments about refresh and pre-fresh ...

Realize there is no universal definition of what "refresh" means.

Some that have been around from the 2016 era will tell you that the new front fascia introduced in May 2016 was at that time generally referred to as the "refresh", distinguishing it from the original oval nose come, or what some refer to as "classic" model S design.

Now I realize many of you are using the term refresh to refer to what some refer to as the Palladium platform model S, just as the prior iteration when the permanent magnet motor and new adaptive air suspension was referred to as the Raven platform.

Reactions: redmunds
RE all the comments about refresh and pre-fresh ...

Realize there is no universal definition of what "refresh" means.

Some that have been around from the 2016 era will tell you that the new front fascia introduced in May 2016 was at that time generally referred to as the "refresh", distinguishing it from the original oval nose come, or what some refer to as "classic" model S design.

Now I realize many of you are using the term refresh to refer to what some refer to as the Palladium platform model S, just as the prior iteration when the permanent magnet motor and new adaptive air suspension was referred to as the Raven platform.

It's a hopeless cause trying to get everyone to use the term Refresh correctly. It's just as hopeless as me trying to get everyone to stop calling the anodized aluminum trim on the early Model 3's chrome. It doesn't even look close to chrome! 🤣

Last edited: