Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats new with 2020.20.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s a great theory but:

- developers are not an infinite free resource. At some point, someone is making a resource decision that prioritizes game development, perhaps because Elon thinks it gets good press.

- years of history on this forum has shown Tesla is just not prioritizing bug fixes, especially quality of life issues like the audio player.

These issues almost make me want to actually try to get hired at Tesla, just so I can have the necessary access to fix all this damn "quality of life" issues that irritate me on a constant basis. But then I think that there's no guarantee that I'd actually be allowed to work on the software I currently care about, or that I'd be allowed to have a reasonable-enough work/life separation that I'll still be around for my family. Regardless, these issues are 10x more infuriating when you actually have the relevant skills (if you were on the inside) to fix them.

Also, nearly every major update this year seems to have introduce (or fixed) some horrible bug on my MCU1 car. The latest being a frequently "touchscreen is not responsive" error when I get in to drive. I seriously don't think they actually care to properly test half their stuff on MCU1 anymore.

Reactions: aerodyne
I have already blocked the update notifications from the phone. A simple cardboard cover wrapped with alum tape might do the trick for the car.

So it seems you are trying to stop updates. The opposite of my problem where the Evannex cover prevented the wifi signal from the car.

If that's the case, my wife says Jo Ann;s sewing and fabric store has this metallized fabric in silver and gold you can buy to wrap the mirror. Even if you can't sew you should be able to just wrap the mirror. Or why not just shut off wifi in the menu. That may not work as a friend who just bought a Model Y said he hasn't connected to wifi yet and still downloaded the update. He may be mistaken. :)

Whatever your goal is, DIY will fix what it isn't.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne
That was a problem when I first used it so my wife made a non- metallic sleeve over the passenger side mirror where the wifi antenna is located. This made a big difference. It's now perfect and has strong wifi from the house. She just took apart the original and used the material for a pattern.

View attachment 551247

I might add that the internal temps now only get to 98-100° F when outside is in the low 90's and I can keep Cabin Overheat off too.

Very clever!
I have thought about using a car cover because my Model S is parked outside and gets terribly bird-bombed -- there are numerous nests of small birds right near my parking space. But then, what do you do with a dirty car cover, coated in bird poop, when you remove it? i have no garage or other space to store it. And folding it up and placing it into the car seems like a messy and counter-productive chore. how do you manage that?

Very clever!
I have thought about using a car cover because my Model S is parked outside and gets terribly bird-bombed -- there are numerous nests of small birds right near my parking space. But then, what do you do with a dirty car cover, coated in bird poop, when you remove it? i have no garage or other space to store it. And folding it up and placing it into the car seems like a messy and counter-productive chore. how do you manage that?
As mentioned before, car almost never leaves the garage.

I always fold it up so the dirt stays inside.

Being a quality outdoor cover it is water proof, so one could wipe it off with damp cloth, let it dry, then remove it.

Reflective foil strips, hung nearby, can deter birds. They sparkle and look like snakes.

Very clever!

Good question! But I don't have the problem. Two reasons, My neighbor has a bird feeder hobby and all the birds congregate in her yard. I also cut down all the trees in my yard so I have no birds perching above the car, and that creates the days in the sun. No more shade
Finally, I did have a few problems with a stray cat jumping on my car and vomiting on the hood and roof. I have a very accurate BB gun and that solved that problem for my other car a couple years ago. Stray cats are smart, They don't lie around where they get shot. :)

I agree it would be a tough cleaning job but maybe just wash it down while still on the car would be the best way.

Good question! But I don't have the problem. Two reasons, My neighbor has a bird feeder hobby and all the birds congregate in her yard. I also cut down all the trees in my yard so I have no birds perching above the car, and that creates the days in the sun. No more shade
Finally, I did have a few problems with a stray cat jumping on my car and vomiting on the hood and roof. I have a very accurate BB gun and that solved that problem for my other car a couple years ago. Stray cats are smart, They don't lie around where they get shot. :)

I agree it would be a tough cleaning job but maybe just wash it down while still on the car would be the best way.

If you have cat problems, this is what you need:

Outside air temp 82°F Inside 104°F Solar heating as the car is in the sun.
Can you crack a little bit the windows (The Tesla App has a Vent option) to have the air circulating?
Well, if you park in the street this might not be recommended, or if you don't want to have insects in your cars.

Would using Cabin Overheat without AC and only a Fan be an other working option to get air circulation to avoid this oven effect?