Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats new with 2020.20.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best part is that it's optional.
But is it? Every MCU1 is a ticking time bomb of self bricking.

I still don't get why they would not have retained FM or at least added DAB to MCU2. Sure when Elon is driving around the cities he probably thinks why persist with those legacy entertainment options, doesn't work like that in every place they sell their cars though.
And what is happening with the screens? Don't the MCU2 screens still yellow over time as well?

The $2500 USD charge I can assure you won't be the same elsewhere in the world, we've seen massive price disparity with Tesla many times (not always their fault).

But is it? Every MCU1 is a ticking time bomb of self bricking.

I still don't get why they would not have retained FM or at least added DAB to MCU2. Sure when Elon is driving around the cities he probably thinks why persist with those legacy entertainment options, doesn't work like that in every place they sell their cars though.
And what is happening with the screens? Don't the MCU2 screens still yellow over time as well?

The $2500 USD charge I can assure you won't be the same elsewhere in the world, we've seen massive price disparity with Tesla many times (not always their fault).

It is. You have the choice or purchasing it, or not. No one is here to force you hand. Everyone's situation is different, but ultimately you have to make the conscious decision to purchase it and have it installed.

They could not retain it because of it's location and the labor associated the extra hours of removing the old unit and replacing the new unit. It would have increased the cost and that was not something they wanted to do. I think it's been well documented on TMC in numerous places. It's not ideal, but it is what it is.

As for yellowing, some report that the MCU2 screens from 2019 onwards don't have the yellowing effect. I don't know if that's true, but I'm sure in the coming years we will find out.

The $2500 is USD, and it will vary depending on country and currency exchange... You're correct. I only use it in my emails as that is what is found on the web page and what I paid for it (excluding taxes which is based on where you get the work done... in the US that is).

None of this is ideal. My point is that it's optional, and for those who want it it's a great way to extend the life of the overall user experience. I found it well worth the $2500 as I make use of the features when I need them.

Reactions: Nick B and P100D_Me
Evidently being parked in the main usecase Tesla is focusing on. Maybe their research indicates most of Tesla customers just sit in their Tesla's while parked. Tesla, a great place to hang out on your driveway! ;)

But what about those of us who want to be in our parked Tesla and listen to some music? :p:D

Surely when you want to take a break from games, the music player in the car should work properly so you can listen to some music...

But what about those of us who want to be in our parked Tesla and listen to some music? :p:D

Surely when you want to take a break from games, the music player in the car should work properly so you can listen to some music...
There is music, a few streaming channels to choose from. Just like you don't get to bring your own games to the MCU, bringing your own music is also not a priority usecase.

There is music, a few streaming channels to choose from. Just like you don't get to bring your own games to the MCU, bringing your own music is also not a priority usecase.

Spotify is streaming and that does not work either...

The Spotify music player does not work with playlists playing the same songs over and over again when in random mode.

They need to release a software update one day where they finally fix the USB audio and Sotify music players. The best car in the world should have a functional music player :p:rolleyes:

Spotify is streaming and that does not work either...

The Spotify music player does not work with playlists playing the same songs over and over again when in random mode.

They need to release a software update one day where they finally fix the USB audio and Sotify music players. The best car in the world should have a functional music player :p:rolleyes:
Spotify and USB is "bringing your own music". :p

Ok, now to something that may have an impact on actually driving the car....

Updated against my will by SeC from 2020.4.1 to 2020.20.1....

It seems SuC rates have improved a few percent from 4.1

See pic
IMG_20200611_124506811.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
Just got the 2020.20.12 update and took it out for a local test drive.

There is a serious problem with Autopilot that wasn't present on 2020.16.2.1.
Traffic light detection and stop sign detection appears to have been broken. When I activate AP the car moves along the street at posted speed limit as it should. When I came to a green traffic light the driver's screen showed the green light but the car came to a stop like it does with red lights. This is a bit annoying for sure and it repeated the error everywhere I drove around town.

But the worst part is scary. When I came to a red light the light was correct on the screen but the car ran the red light at full speed limit of 45 mph. Never even slowed down. Good no cars or cops around. I tried it one more time at a different light and I was quick enough to slam on the brakes.

Stop sign detection now was also buggy. It did come to a complete stop properly in 3 out of 10 stop signs I detected on the screen. The other 7 times it ran right through them.

On a road with bad S curves and clearly marked to slow to 20mph the car tried to negotiate at full speed and in the middle it ran across the center line and then AP disconnected itself.

These features all worked very well on the previous software.

So making my rounds, I drove to the local Tesla Showroom and stopped in a spoke to them about this and learned the manager there was already aware of the flaws I reported. They have been receiving reports of the bugs for the past week. They promised to add my complaint to their own reports. They also suggested I contact our service center and let them know because they claim the service techs get quicker attention on software issues.

On a less critical matter the bug in the Sentry Player is still present. It will not play the final seconds of a recorded video.

• Helpful
Reactions: aerodyne
Just got the 2020.20.12 update and took it out for a local test drive.

There is a serious problem with Autopilot that wasn't present on 2020.16.2.1.
Traffic light detection and stop sign detection appears to have been broken.

These features all worked very well on the previous software.

So making my rounds, I drove to the local Tesla Showroom and stopped in a spoke to them about this and learned the manager there was already aware of the flaws I reported. They have been receiving reports of the bugs for the past week. They promised to add my complaint to their own reports. /QUOTE]

So glad I have an older car, AP1, and did not pay for FSD. Also glad I don't need to be a beta tester (For instance never drive in rain don't care about the wipers beta mode)

In product development, this failures are indicative of TRL level 3-4, lab or development stage, not 7 or 8 preproduction as Elon has lead us to believe.

And these are serious flaws that could kill someone. Even Fanboys would have to agree FSD is moving in the wrong direction, way too fast.

Why are there any beta features left years after introduction? Why is AP2 not light years ahead of AP1 by now?

Here's a short test after removing home charger and testing battery drain:
Start 390.66 miles
after 3 hours 389.38 miles. Cabin Overheat AC active for 24 minutes

Outside air temp 82°F Inside 104°F Solar heating as the car is in the sun.

Data source is from Teslafi.

This is about typical of what I got before.

Continuing to test until tomorow.

Hmm... aluminized? Something the Tesla cover does not have. Probably because if it was, someone would figure out how to ground it and turn it into a Faraday cage....avoiding unwanted updates and snooping by the Mothership...

That was a problem when I first used it so my wife made a non- metallic sleeve over the passenger side mirror where the wifi antenna is located. This made a big difference. It's now perfect and has strong wifi from the house. She just took apart the original and used the material for a pattern.

IMG_1802.jpg

I might add that the internal temps now only get to 98-100° F when outside is in the low 90's and I can keep Cabin Overheat off too.

That was a problem when I first used it so my wife made a non- metallic sleeve over the passenger side mirror where the wifi antenna is located. This made a big difference. It's now perfect and has strong wifi from the house. She just took apart the original and used the material for a pattern.

View attachment 551247

I might add that the internal temps now only get to 98-100° F when outside is in the low 90's and I can keep Cabin Overheat off too.

Awesome idea!

Reactions: aerodyne
The metal fabric the cover is made of shields the wifi. Our replacement mirror cover allows the wifi signal to reach the Tesla antenna so it can download updates with the modified cover on. I just get a notice on my phone the update is ready to install and I then do that from the phone all while covered.

.I need to find some aluminized fabric to put over mine..
It may be cheaper to just buy the Evannex metal cover if you feel your solar heat is intolerable. The highest I recorded was 135°F without the cabin overheat active.

The metal fabric the cover is made of shields the wifi. Our replacement mirror cover allows the wifi signal to reach the Tesla antenna so it can download updates with the modified cover on. I just get a notice on my phone the update is ready to install and I then do that from the phone all while covered.

It may be cheaper to just buy the Evannex metal cover if you feel your solar heat is intolerable. The highest I recorded was 135°F without the cabin overheat active.
I meant the antenna portion. Already have the Tesla cover, does a good job, although I only use it in the garage.

I have already blocked the update notifications from the phone. A simple cardboard cover wrapped with alum tape might do the trick for the car.

Thanks for the idea!