Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's state of the art for washing a Model S at home and making it shine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use water from my reverse osmosis filter to rinse the car. 0 ppm dissolved solids. I just toss a couple buckets of RO water over it and take it for a drive. Spotless and easy. Of course, this only works if you have some type of ceramic coating.
I am also a big believer in Spot free water for washing and rinsing. Anything you can do to minimize wiping a car dry prevents damage to the surface.
I use a pressure washer with deionized water from my CR Spotless
Simple Chuck Spotless Water System
Simple Chuck Spotless Water System - CR Spotless Water Systems
8BE9A545-03CE-4236-9533-C4BD7B6A77E9.jpeg

I blow all the water off with a Metrovac 20amp Master Blaster Revolution with a 30 foot hose Works great!
Air Force® Master Blaster® Revolution™ with 30 foot hose MB-3CDSWB-30
190949A0-26D0-4348-9A41-38BE7AF62480.jpeg

When I am away from home For extended periods I actually use distilled water that I buy in the store for about a buck a gallon.
Usually cost me five or six bucks to wash my car. I pour it in a 5 gallon bucket and use a
40V POWER SHARE HYDROSHOT PORTABLE POWER CLEANER

40V Power Share Hydroshot Portable Power Cleaner (2x20V)
6C1F4914-A081-4E59-9412-7C225281F7CD.jpeg

FYI,
The foaming accessory is very unimpressive. I just use another bucket with a sponge and microfiber towels…

Last edited:
I use water from my reverse osmosis filter to rinse the car. 0 ppm dissolved solids. I just toss a couple buckets of RO water over it and take it for a drive. Spotless and easy. Of course, this only works if you have some type of ceramic coating.

You cant get 0 ppm unless u have a DI stage...
I assume your running a DI unit?

I am also a big believer in Spot free water for washing and rinsing. Anything you can do to minimize wiping a car dry prevents damage to the surface.
I use a pressure washer with deionized water from my CR Spotless
Simple Chuck Spotless Water System
Simple Chuck Spotless Water System - CR Spotless Water Systems
View attachment 528370

^ This user here, is using a DI Stage.
This is the only way you can get 0ppm, well you could also goto a drug store and get straight Distilled.

If your house has a water softener unit, it would also get rid of spots, as the spots are mostly hard water dry stains from the Calcium, so an expensive DI unit is not required.

You cant get 0 ppm unless u have a DI stage...
I assume your running a DI unit?

My tap water tests at 45ppm which is good for city drinking water. After running it through my RO filter, it tests at either 0 or 1 ppm. When I use it to rinse the car, it doesn't have any spots after air drying. The RO system was $300 and does 90gallons per day. It also wastes 4 gallons for every 1 gallon produced, but it's way cheaper than going to buy distilled from the store at a dollar per gal.