TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's the difference between the Hot and cold defrost options?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PhilDavid, Aug 19, 2019.

1. David29

David29 Supporting Member

I suspect so, as well, and I hope so, but the owner's manual does not say so.

2. David29

According to the owner's manual, when you double-click the Defrost button, you get maximum fan speed and maximum heating, which implies that the temperature control setting will no longer apply. Which supports someone's earlier statement that a single click leaves the temperature setting as it was but directs air to the windscreen. By the way, that function times out and shuts off after a while.
    If you want to direct air to the windshield and leave it like that, you can do so with the manual controls by clicking on the fan button and setting the air flow to include the windshield. This is useful in winter if you want to be able to preheat the car AND include the windshield. if you leave the airflow set to the windshield (with or without any other airflow settings), it will remain like that until you set it back. I do this when I expect snow or ice overnight, to facilitate clearing the windshield while preheating. If you leave it in AUTO and preheat with the phone app, you rely on the car to decide whether or not to run the defroster (sometimes it does, but it may shut off too soon).

3. David29

It probably tries, and I do see it run the defroster on cold days. But it does not necessarily run it very long, so it may or may not run it enough for melting snow or ice off the glass.
    See my further note above -- you can set the airflow manually if you want more control over what the car will do when you preheat.

• Informative x 1
  4. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

The car remains consistent in its response to the temperature setting even in Red defrost - because when you hit Red, it overrides the previous temperature setting with HI, and keeps it there until you switch back out of Red defrost.

Turning the temperature down while in Red drops the car back into auto (out of defrost entirely) and back to your prior temperature. Hitting defrost again does the same thing.

• Informative x 1