Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WhatsApp Groups in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
There are several whatsapp groups running in Hong Kong, ask jh78 for details if you like to join.

As members from the groups are recruiting Tesla Model S owners they meet, friends, relatives and so on - the groups are growing towards the WhatsApp limit of 100 members. And lx3h and myself (and a few others) are probably "spamming" the group too much (oops!)

Should we change to a different platform for more users?

Even more users just means even more drowning in various subjects.

The first group was originally set up for some of us on TMC to meet up for the 23 July 14 initial delivery event. The group remained as a mobile group chat forum, and grew. Now around 85 members, growing almost daily.

On my request, a new group was created for "urgent" matters, for those not having time to read all the hundreds of daily messages. This group, although much less active, likewise has the 100-member limit.

There could be more sub-groups for different subjects or divisions like

- Cantonese only
- English only
- Styling/Wrapping/Dechrome etc
- Damage/scraping/curb rash/repairs
- Dash cams, parking cameras and 360 degree viewers
- Traffic jam, laser traps, blocked chargers

Eventually, the growth of the Tesla Model S owner community will force us to make a decision.

One of the temporary options could be to filter out non-active members, either by asking people to quit if they don't read it or simply delete those that never post anything. But only temporary, with growing numbers, even that won't be enough.

Waiting lists to join could be another option.

Other platforms, with either 200, 1000 or more members (might be TOO much chatter then!)

While I am standing on my soap box (once again!) - let me point out a few features to make WhatsApp more useful:

Click the header to see all members. Click any member to message them directly. A lot of chat goes on which should be person to person, and not "bother" the whole group.

On that same list of members, go to the bottom, there is an option to email the entire discussion to email. Probably better to chose the option NOT to include media. This means you get a text file where you can search for historic comments from day one. Note, that any member can see posts even BEFORE they joined - could be useful for newer members.

20/7/14 12:41:29: Jxxxx "jh78" Ho changed the subject to “Tesla Enthusiast HKG ”20/7/14 12:49:36: Jxxxx "jh78" was added
20/7/14 12:48:33: Jxxxx "jh78" : Hi its Jxxxx (jh78) here!
20/7/14 12:49:36: Exxxx AppleFan was added
20/7/14 12:49:36: Jxx Mxxxxx was added
20/7/14 12:49:36: Sxxxx "drsammy" Cxxxxx was added
20/7/14 12:49:36: Txxx Cxxx Txxx Cxxxxx "CCT" was added
20/7/14 12:49:36: Lxxxx Lxx was added
20/7/14 12:49:36: Rxxxx "Capt666" Sxx was added
20/7/14 12:49:36: Rxxxxx "Alipapa" Txx was added
20/7/14 12:49:36: You were added

And so on ...

A piece of history, imagine the bread crumbs we leave behind. This was jh78 setting up the original group, 3 days before the launch event.

The group as of a few minutes ago (3/1-15) had ... 11148 posts (!!!)

Switching from app to app is very difficult, some are reluctant because they are used to one, others simply do not want too many similar apps in the phones. I am cool with adding new apps as long as they are user-friendly. Maybe we can have a poll for members to vote for their favourite app(s) while allowing members to suggest ones which can accommodate more users.

What about FB group which is X-platform?

Need to have instant messaging ability that accommodate larger than 100 people. Facebook messenger has a limit of 250, just like Naver LINE. Google Hangout 100, same as Whatsapp. Band has a 1000 according to someone.

All except Band and Whatsapp are cross platform, LINE supports iOS, Android, Windows, Blackberry, Nokia, Firefox OS, and Mac OS. Google Hangout supports iOS, Android and Windows. Facebook Messenger supports iOS and Android only, but can be used on Windows and Mac through Facebook account.