TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wheego Whip - $19,000 highway capable car Q2 2009

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by graham, Nov 19, 2008.

1. graham

graham Active Member

RTEV, Shuanghuan Auto plan 2-seater electric car for '09 | Cleantech Group
    [​IMG]

2. DDB

DDB Member

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#3 TEG, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  4. DDB

DDB Member

What does it cost to go through crash test certification--anybody got a guess? I'd suspect this company dies there...or doesn't get to that stage.

5. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

#5 mattjs33, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
    ... did you see that Wheego says they will be finally delivering their first LiFe on Friday, April 22, which happens to be Earth Day? Remember when they were saying they'd beat the Volt and Leaf to market? So much for that.

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

So did they change the name.

7. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

Yeah, the LSV car is the Whip. The highway speed car is the LiFe. I asked them about that, because intially they were calling it the Whip LiFe, but they decided on merely LiFe to differentiate the two. For what it's worth, Wheego has always been prompt in answering my random email questions. My belief is that the most recent delay was with the advanced airbag exmeption, which was only granted in February. Initially the NHTSA was deciding that Shaunghuan is the actual builder of the car, and thus as a large volume manufacturer does not qualify for such an exemption. But they pushed it through on the basis of it being a low-emission vehicle. See here: Federal Register | Wheego Electric Cars, Inc.; Grant of Application for Temporary Exemption From Advanced Air Bag Requirements of FMVSS No. 208

Thanks for placing my post appropriately. Funny, notice that the title of the thread said Q2 2009! And the last previous post was in 2008! Well, it's finally here.

8. doug

Of course they were wrong on the price too, and looks like this thing will cost more than the Leaf. As with Coda and Aptera, these guys missed their market window and don't have much of a chance.

9. benji4

benji4 Roadster 2.5 #0476

At 30kWh this little car has a pretty big battery pack.... wonder why it only goes 100 on a charge? Would be interesting to hear the Atlanta couples' reasoning for getting a Whip rather than a LEAF.

10. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

You can't buy a Leaf here in Georgia just yet, we might be able to order them in the Fall so they might just be impatient.

11. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

The funny thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese version has more power than the anemic MB Smart EV.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

What's with crushing it with a forklift? You'd think they'd just tell the importer "sorry you can't import that" and return it to sender???

13. doug

Ned: Excuse me, neighbor. I couldn't help but notice, you picked pretty much all of my flowers!
    Homer: Can't make a float without flowers.
    Ned: Oh, sure. But did you have to salt the earth so nothing would ever grow again?
    Homer: Heh-heh, heh-heh ... yeah.

14. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

This is appallingly bad behaviour.

15. mattjs33

mattjs33 Member

First of the 2013's I've seen is now available at Green Wheels Chicago, where I had my Think drive a year ago: Toyota Honda Dealer Inventory Chicago IL 60622 Evanston Oak Park - GREEN WHEELS CHICAGO

Funny thing, when I was talking to the owner at the time, I mentioned that if he was looking for an EV franchise to replace his Thinks, he may want to take a look at Wheego. He had never heard of them.

I don't know what a Sport Wheego is, though.