Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t seen this posted recently on the search. I would strongly advise anyone doing decent mileage to have a look at your front tyres. Particularly the inner edge. I just parked my car tight in the curb and left the wheel on full lock-thought I’d take a quick look at the tread - glad I did - I nearly shat myself. Down to the canvas on both sides at the inner shoulders. Not even approaching the wear markers on the outside edges. ~25k so not really surprising they need replacing but I obviously haven’t been keeping a close eye on them.

Kwik Fit say they can’t do wheel alignment on a Tesla. Anyone have any experience? Something (camber?) must be way out.

I haven’t seen this posted recently on the search. I would strongly advise anyone doing decent mileage to have a look at your front tyres. Particularly the inner edge. I just parked my car tight in the curb and left the wheel on full lock-thought I’d take a quick look at the tread - glad I did - I nearly shat myself. Down to the canvas on both sides at the inner shoulders. Not even approaching the wear markers on the outside edges. ~25k so not really surprising they need replacing but I obviously haven’t been keeping a close eye on them.

Kwik Fit say they can’t do wheel alignment on a Tesla. Anyone have any experience? Something (camber?) must be way out.
Kwik Fit can do it now (at least my local branch can), but I found a local independent who is much cheaper. They just have to get the information for their Hunter HawkEye computer to be able to do it. I understand there are some under trays that need to be removed to access the adjustment nuts and bolts, but other than that it is just like any other car in this respect.

I have the alignment done on mine at least twice a year and after I inadvertently hit a major bump or pothole. In my experience it makes the car much better to drive and lengthens the life of the tyres.

Reactions: Chrisgillett
Anyone can now get free access to the Tesla service manuals at service.tesla.com. You have to register an account - we used our existing Tesla account. I think any garage can register. There is a cost to register for access to the sevice Toolbox, to get access to diagnostic information.

There are full details of checking and adjusting the wheel alignment, with some interesting details that I've never seen a garage do, including putting 150 pounds ballast into both of the driver's and passenger's seats and checking the ride height before carrying out the wheel alignment.

The instructions cover front camber, caster and toe and rear camber and toe.

Fortunately I don’t pay for tyres as it’s a lease car, but there’s no point being wasteful and I would rather it was safe!

Thanks for the tips chaps. I’ve asked them to sort alignment so we will see.

I have previously paid to have professionally set up a track/race car and that involved corner waiting with my equivalent weight in the driver seat – but that’s rather more than is required for the average family car!

I had the exact same experience on mine. I went into the shop to get yet another tyre replaced due punctures. The insides on the front wheels were down to the canvas. I was lucky to catch it then....that could have been penalty points or worse!