Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel "bouncing" from rumble strips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rob968

Jul 12, 2018
NJ
I have a 3D, and when I drive over pavement that's uneven for any short period, one (or more) of my wheels develops very short and quick "bouncing" behavior. For example, if you drive over rumble strips, the wheel(s) bounce more than you'd expect, and after I transition to smooth road, they continue to bounce for a short while until they even out...maybe over a period of 3 seconds once on smooth road. I sometimes get the same behavior if I'm accelerating hard on/out of a turn.

As a point of reference, I was getting vibration at highway speeds the day I took delivery of the car, and a couple days later I took it back to Tesla and they road-force balanced all 4 tires (only one was off-balance). The vibration largely went away, but I still sometimes get it during the beginning of a drive, similar to working the flat spot out of a summer tire in cooler weather.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I'm trying to figure out if this is the nature of the car, of if I have something odd going on with my suspension. It's almost as if the valving in a shock isn't set right, and you get too much bounce.

Have not experienced this, but it sounds like there is an issue with the dampers/struts. Does the car feel well dampened otherwise?

Generally, it does, but I get this wheel/tire "bouncing" in all sorts of situations, like on back roads with sections of rough pavement. It's not unbearable most of the time, but it doesn't behave like I would expect it to.

That usually is caused by you going over the solid lane line without your turn signal on. It is telling you that you are going out of your lane. Page 77 of the manual.

Very interesting...I'll change that setting on the way home and see if has any impact. Some of the back roads have no road markings and I still get the vibration. Looks like I'll know in a couple of hours!

..though it could be cause in other situations I suppose... it is the Lane Departure Warning though... try turning it off and see if it goes away.. Controls>Autopilot>settings>Lane Departure Warning

If there aren't lines on the road I haven't experienced the lane departure warning. Anything is possible though. Lane departure warning feels like the steering wheel physically shaking, its pretty distinct.

It is likely the Lane Departure Warning
If there aren't lines on the road I haven't experienced the lane departure warning. Anything is possible though. Lane departure warning feels like the steering wheel physically shaking, its pretty distinct.
Since V9 I’ve actually had it give me the lane departure warning on a 2 lane road (with two way traffic) with no lane markings. It was actually a bit frustrating because if I crossed what the car determined to be the “center” of the road while trying to avoid parked cars, it’d trigger and shake my wheel.

So I played with it a bit on the ride home, and I think you are correct that it’s the lane departure warning. Nothing audible is associated with it, correct? Just the wheel vibration?

It was confusing because i would get it when crossing over dotted blend lines, and I just kept assuming they were raised as rumble strips. And like halfricanguy, it would also activate on unmarked 2 lane roads. I’m often close to the center on those narrow roads unless passing another car.

Many thanks for the insight to solve this mystery!

Lane departure does buzz you via steering wheel

The jouncing you first described would have led me to a blown shock on the symptomatic wheel; sometimes you can see such blown shocks on the highway on some older car. The wheel is doing the jitter bug up/down on the road w/minimal provication

Good it's just working-as-designed ;)

So there is a different thread about the steering wheel rumble when changing lanes. Apparently this can be disabled in the settings although I haven't seen it. It's a safety feature meant to remind us to use our turn signals. Not a bad idea. As a 65 year old (female) driver and just having my car since October 15th I have really learned to appreciate the rumble.