Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel hubcaps from Tessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had Rimetrix hubcaps on my Model 3, however, it did leave scratches all over the alloys. Luckily I had the alloy wheel protection cover and so managed to get it sorted before I hand over the Model 3. But I am wondering whether the Tessories wheel hubcaps with some foam pads are better than the Rimetrix. Is anyone bought the hubcaps for Y or 3 from Tessories and do they leave marks and deep scratches?. The only advantage of these hubcaps are they leave slightly less deep scratches and Revive can touch up quickly without major expense.

Last edited:
I have had Rimetrix hubcaps on my Model 3, however, it did leave scratches all over the alloys. Luckily I had the alloy wheel protection cover and so managed to get it sorted before I hand over the Model 3. But I am wondering whether the Tessories wheel hubcaps with some foam pads are better than the Rimetrix. Is anyone bought the hubcaps for Y or 3 from Tessories and do they leave marks and deep scratches?. The only advantage of these hubcaps are they leave slightly less deep scratches and Revive can touch up quickly without major expense.

How did those Rimetrix ones attach? The Tessories Blade V2 use very similar plastic clips in the same place as the OEM gemini covers using the same effective mechanism, so I can't see how they can scratch the alloys beyond the OEM ones?

And the alloy rim is nicely protected with the foam tape they include, so that also protects the alloy rim against kerbing the alloy.. Ultimately when I hand the car back, the 1 day old Gemini wheel covers will go back on and even if there are light scratches on the underlying alloy who is going to see them?

Sorry I meant what do you guys think about taking alloy wheel covers (insurance)? Is it worth the £300 odd or the repair at the end of return cost the same?
If I had the Gemini wheels and so was using wheel covers, then probably not, for the reasons listed above, however if I had uberturbines or whatever they are called, i.e. full alloys then £300 for at least one refurb isn't too bad.

Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0
How did those Rimetrix ones attach?
The same as OEMs but still left lots of scuffs and that is the reason I am bit weary of the Tessories hubcaps too.
if I had uberturbines or whatever they are called, i.e. full alloys then £300 for at least one refurb isn't too bad.

Yes, agree. But I had to do the alloys before I handed over as the Rimetrix scuffed the whole rim or the lip that it covers. Yes, the £300 you can do 4 alloys and 1 cosmetic repair each year. I did only once at the end. But resisting this time to see what happens with this Tessories one.

Upvote 0
Am I reading this correctly that people are suggesting owners need to repair damaged caused by hubcaps clipping onto the alloys? 🤔

If the alloys themselves are marked by the OEM hubcaps, then I don't see that anyone should be concerned about getting the alloy repaired. Even if you are using aftermarket hubcaps, but switch back to the OEM ones before returning the car, how is the leasing company going to know (or prove) that you were using aftermarket fitments?

I am leasing my car and therefore have a duty of care to maintain it and look after it as best I can so it is in good condition when I return it. Part of this duty includes me needing to remove the hubcaps to give the alloys themselves a clean every other wash or so. In doing so, I am probably creating additional scratches each time the hubcaps are taken off and replaced. However, in my opinion, that's a design/fitment issue for Tesla (or the lease company) to deal with. I won't expect to be stiffed for damaged alloys as a result of maintaining and cleaning the car.

In related news, I ordered some hurricane style hubcaps for my MY from Tessories. The delivery was swift and the hubcaps came with numerous strips of padded foam to stick onto the rim of the hubcap for added protection. They also came with adhesive Tesla centre caps, however, I wanted the caps to be matt black to match the hubcaps. If I recall correctly, the ones Tessories included were black with a white T - I thought the white T looked a bit naff so sourced some all black ones from amazon instead.

Upvote 0
that people are suggesting owners need to repair damaged caused by hubcaps clipping onto the alloys? 🤔
We are not suggesting but lease company may insist as the hubcaps scuffs are all over the alloys. I am not sure what usually happens with the OEM hubcaps as I replaced it on the day I got it. If the OEM scuffs are reasonable within their wear and tear policy they may not say anything. But the Rimetrix hubcaps scuffed the whole alloy wheels and I couldn’t see how the lease company would accept that without a compensation or repair.

Reactions: EV1980
Upvote 0
Sorry I meant what do you guys think about taking alloy wheel covers (insurance)? Is it worth the £300 odd or the repair at the end of return cost the same?
I've seen a couple local guys offering alloy repair, even on the drive, for around 60/80 quid each. So unless you're planning to scratch all 4 I'd say it's better to do it on an ad-hoc basis..

Reactions: spdpsba
Upvote 0
We are not suggesting but lease company may insist as the hubcaps scuffs are all over the alloys. I am not sure what usually happens with the OEM hubcaps as I replaced it on the day I got it. If the OEM scuffs are reasonable within their wear and tear policy they may not say anything. But the Rimetrix hubcaps scuffed the whole alloy wheels and I couldn’t see how the lease company would accept that without a compensation or repair.
I'm guessing if OP is replacing his Rimetrix by the OEM Gemini hubcaps at the end of his lease no company is going to be bothered to have them removed and inspect potential damage to the alloys underneath, are they?

Upvote 0
I'm guessing if OP is replacing his Rimetrix by the OEM Gemini hubcaps at the end of his lease no company is going to be bothered to have them removed and inspect potential damage to the alloys underneath, are they?
The Rimetrix and Tessories cover the lips of the alloys and that’s how they protect from kerbing but the OEM hubcaps leave the lips of alloys exposed - so you can see if there are scuffs because of the Rimetrix or Tessories use unfortunately.

Upvote 0
The Rimetrix and Tessories cover the lips of the alloys and that’s how they protect from kerbing but the OEM hubcaps leave the lips of alloys exposed - so you can see if there are scuffs because of the Rimetrix or Tessories use unfortunately.
But they are just covering them, not affixed to the lip? They still affix to the spokes the same way the OEM do, with metal clips?
Therefore I don't see why the Rimetrix would damage the lips, that's pretty much the opposite of what they were designed for... As for the metal clips scratching the alloy spokes, well, that's the same issue as OEM therefore not really imputable to aftermarkets vs OEM design?
Or maybe I don't get the issue?

Upvote 0
herefore I don't see why the Rimetrix would damage the lips, t
I think it is a lot to do with the road dirt, sand small stones stuck between the lips that cover the alloys and the constant scratching that happens. They do protect the alloys from major kerbing and deep cuts that is the advantage - you just have to do some cosmetic repair rather than some major repair.

• Informative
Reactions: WllXM
Upvote 0