Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel nut confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Folks, I'm trying to check my wheel torque and also want to be able to take the wheels off for checking the brakes and I'm real confused on the hub nuts on this car.

I've read conflicting things whether I have nut caps or not, or what kind of caps they might be.

They seem solid and I've tried pulling to see if these are covers or not but they are on solid. Also the size is weird, I tried a 20/21/22mm socket and none of them fit quite right like the nuts are tapered or something.

Do I have caps? how do I get these things off and what size are the nuts underneath?

Here's a couple of pics, my car is a 2014 S85 with 19" rims.

Thanks

IMG_20190221_183653.jpg
IMG_20190221_173751.jpg

The factory lug nuts are 21mm under plastic caps. You appear to have aftermarket ones without caps that are probably some English(non metric) size around 21mm, maybe 3/4".
My 2014 S60 (May 2014 build) came with 21 mm acorn style lug nuts, which is what the OP's picture looks like to me (can't be sure but caps tend to be shiny chrome looking). They are a problem because they can get stuck (thermal expansion problems) and stripped and don't fit sockets well IME. Tesla changed to the current 21 mm lug nuts with caps on later cars — not sure exactly when. I bought a set of nuts and caps from Tesla and changed mine out. The new lug nuts with caps are way easier to work with, but do require a special cap pulling tool (as little as $3 from Amazon).

Model S lug nuts2225sf 2-26-19.jpg

^ Left to right: OEM acorn lug nut, cap from new lug nut (I don't have the actual lug nut it fits on since I don't want to remove it from my wheel), cap removal tool.

Model S lug nuts2226sf 2-26-19.jpg

^ new style lug nut with cap removed. Notice that caps have very sharp edges compared to the acorn lug nuts.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, looking at the pics of the caps etc I don't think I have caps. I tried a little with some pliers and I don't seem to have that lip in place.

So mine seem solid. The other slightly odd thing is the fit to a socket, seems very snug what seems to be the right size (21mm) perhaps I'll add some grease on it before I attempt to remove any so they don't jam on the socket.

It's common that chrome capped wheel nuts swell when the wheel nut starts to corrode beneath the chrome cap. Using a simple exposed nut during winter will help but that means two sets of wheel nuts. Finding a socket that will fit a swollen chrome cap doesn't always work so jamming the socket on with a hammer may be the best solution.

Once the nut is free and before it comes off the stud you can usually get the wrench free of the swollen nut.

Chrome covered nuts look good for a while but in winter conditions they do corrode, in my experience. Plated nuts are better for the long term but they won't look as nice. You may need to buy a new set.

Reactions: JohnnyG
It's common that chrome capped wheel nuts swell when the wheel nut starts to corrode beneath the chrome cap. Using a simple exposed nut during winter will help but that means two sets of wheel nuts. Finding a socket that will fit a swollen chrome cap doesn't always work so jamming the socket on with a hammer may be the best solution.

Once the nut is free and before it comes off the stud you can usually get the wrench free of the swollen nut.

Chrome covered nuts look good for a while but in winter conditions they do corrode, in my experience. Plated nuts are better for the long term but they won't look as nice. You may need to buy a new set.

Interesting, I didn't know that...you learn something every day..

Is there a boring/dull/stock equivalent nut I can replace them with so I don't have this hassle again? I doubt the wife would notice I swapped the nuts on her car

Thanks guys, looking at the pics of the caps etc I don't think I have caps. I tried a little with some pliers and I don't seem to have that lip in place.

So mine seem solid. The other slightly odd thing is the fit to a socket, seems very snug what seems to be the right size (21mm) perhaps I'll add some grease on it before I attempt to remove any so they don't jam on the socket.
I had the same problem with the acorn nuts. For some I had to use a 22 mm socket to get them off. When I tried to buy replacements, the service center no longer stocks them because they switched to the new style lug nuts. I was told that it is because the old acorn lug nuts tend to swell. I purchased a set of new lug nuts and caps and replaced all of my old ones.

The new lug nuts and caps are MUCH easier to use -- they fit the 21 mm socket perfectly. I find the caps helpful when torquing the nuts -- I put the cap on as I remove the torque wrench so that I can tell which nuts I have torqued already.

I strongly suggest that you make the switch to the new lug nuts.

Bart;

2015 MS here, with 19" wheels. There are two styles of lug nuts for this car according to the Tesla EPC. The newer ones do have a removable cap.

I think you have the older lug nut like mine

If so...

It is not chrome. It does not have a removable cap. It is a steel nut with a soft stainless cover that is swaged or hydroformed over the nut. Because the cover is soft, and most that work in tire shops use impact tools and torque sticks instead of hand breaker bar and torque wrench, the covers get damaged.

SC might replace them with new style. I kept mine and rotated socket untill it fit the nut, and catefully applied torque. If this does not work, try a 6 point socket.