Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are you locked into price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone please provide some input into ordering? Model 3 res. Once invited to configure when is the price locked in? Concerned about exchange rate change before delivery. Thank you.
You have a week to alter or cancel your order. That said, I lucked out due to an improved currency exchange rate and Tesla essentially reduced the price just before delivery.

You have a week to alter or cancel your order. That said, I lucked out due to an improved currency exchange rate and Tesla essentially reduced the price just before delivery.

The OP asked about the Model 3 and we don't really know if Model 3 ordering rules will be the same as for the Model S but your reply is informative on the issue, and if the rules are not the same they will probably be close.

Dear goodness I hope the CAD improves in the next 12-18 months. I have some TSLA stock but not near enough to make up for the drop in CAD - every one cent drop, my Model 3 gets around another $1000 more expensive.

I don't see all that much movement in the next 12 - 18 months. Unless oil really climbs, I see us in the 70 to 75 range for some time. It took Bush Jr. some time to cut taxes for the wealthy, deregulate the financial and insurance industries (started by Clinton) to the point that derivatives became speculative tools used to take on more risk in order to maximize profits with no government oversight. But things are changing down there: Trump had the House roll back Obamacare which everyone knows is just a huge tax cut for the ultra rich. He's also working on rolling back Dodd-Frank, because, according to Trump:

“I have so many people, friends of mine, with nice businesses, they can’t borrow money, because the banks just won’t let them borrow because of the rules and regulations and Dodd-Frank.”

This is actually quite funny because Trump has been shunned by American big banks, which is why he has to cite "Friends" and banks are lending a ton, despite Trump's claims. Cutting regulations and oversight is a gift to the oligarchy who run Trump. He even made Steven Mnuchin Treasury Secretary, who worked for Goldman Sachs for 17 years. So much for draining the swamp.

Our dollar could be headed back up over par if we have a repeat of what these policies produced in the past and I don't see how they can't lead to the same result. Our banks are considered among the best regulated in the world and money flows to safety when things start to go wrong like it did in 2007/8. But Obama left the office with the economy in such good shape, it could take some time for the US dollar to weaken. I just don't see it happening by the time we get the Model 3 here.

Last edited: