Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do off-peak hours start?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using charging for scheduled departure, it is possible to set an end time for off-peak hours.

However, there is no setting for when off-peak hours start, nor is there any indication of what the car assumes.

I do know that if the car is plugged in before the off-peak hours end time, it will partially charge until then. But then the next morning at the scheduled departure time, the car is fully charge, having started some time at night to complete charging. So it must have some notion of when it is off peak hours again and therefore ok to resume charging.

It does not know or care when off-peak hours start. It calculates how long it takes to charge by 1/2 hour before departure time and starts then.

It is up to you to figure out if the amount of charge is going to require it to start before off-peak hours begin.

It does not know or care when off-peak hours start. It calculates how long it takes to charge by 1/2 hour before departure time and starts then.

It is up to you to figure out if the amount of charge is going to require it to start before off-peak hours begin.
Wouldn’t you just set departure time to the end of off peak time. Done.

when I set 9am departure to 100% the night before, the car starts charging immediately. I have been watching how long for the charge and changing to a set time to start charging. Does the car charge to a certain point, stop and go to 100% just before leaving?1

when I set 9am departure to 100% the night before, the car starts charging immediately. I have been watching how long for the charge and changing to a set time to start charging. Does the car charge to a certain point, stop and go to 100% just before leaving?1
I've had trouble with Scheduled Departure starting charging immediately too. I've played around with setting off-peak to end at different times and so far this has worked...scheduled departure works as I expect.

Our rates here are the same 24x7, so I shouldn't have to use off-peak settings at all. My current strategy is to set off-peak to 30 minutes after Scheduled Departure. If I want to have the car fully charged at 7 am, I set off-peak to end at 7:30 am.

I don't use Scheduled Departure often, and I've seen it work normally and I've seen that I need to set the off-peak time get it to work. Just a guess? A bug in the car's firmware?

True. But that is not what OP was asking. He wanted to know if you could set the beginning of off-peak so it would not charge during on-peak hours.
That would accomplish the same thing !! Assuming it works.

You can start charge at start of Off Peak
Or
You can end charge at end of Off Peak.

The latter is better, if it works because the battery will more likely be warm when you leave.

I don't have off peak, so I charge WHILE the battery is still warm when I get home.

I've had trouble with Scheduled Departure starting charging immediately too. I've played around with setting off-peak to end at different times and so far this has worked...scheduled departure works as I expect.

Our rates here are the same 24x7, so I shouldn't have to use off-peak settings at all. My current strategy is to set off-peak to 30 minutes after Scheduled Departure. If I want to have the car fully charged at 7 am, I set off-peak to end at 7:30 am.

I don't use Scheduled Departure often, and I've seen it work normally and I've seen that I need to set the off-peak time get it to work. Just a guess? A bug in the car's firmware?
Interesting, I've had the same trouble with the car starting to charge immediately when plugged in with Scheduled Departure set for 7am. M3LR is set to charge to 80% and SoC is at 60% that evening say, so it has plenty of time at night to start charging later I think, and be ready for Scheduled Departure.... Rates are the same 24x7 so I hadn't tried setting off-peak. Maybe that will do it.